The Stepford Wives

Started by MacGuffin, December 23, 2003, 12:38:32 PM

MacGuffin

Teaser Trailer:

Hi-Res

Med-Res

Lo-Res

Release Date: June 11th, 2004 (wide)

Cast: Nicole Kidman (Joanna Eberhart), Matthew Broderick (Walter Eberhart), Bette Midler (Bobbie Markowe), Christopher Walken (Dale Coba), Roger Bart (Roger Bannister), Glenn Close (Dr. Emily Francher), Faith Hill (Sarah Sunderson), Jon Lovitz (Dave Markowe), Matt Malloy (Herb Sunderson), Mike White, Lorri Bagley (Charmaine Van Sant), Colleen Dunn (Marianne Stevens), Tom Riis Farrell (Stan Peters), Jason Kravitz, Lisa Masters (Carol Wainwright), Kate Shindle (Beth Peters), Robert Stanton (Ted Van Sant), Christopher Evan Welch (Ed Wainwright)

Director: Frank Oz (The Score, Bowfinger, In & Out, What About Bob?, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels)

Screenwriter: Paul Rudnick (In & Out, Jeffrey, Isn't She Great?, Addams Family Values)

Premise: Joanna (Kidman) and her husband (Broderick) move to the beautiful upper-class suburb of Stepford, where she soon starts to suspect something is strange and artificial about her new female neighbors. The wives living in the houses around them all seem to be too perfect, with bland, character-less personalities. Everyone that is, except her new friend Bobbie (Midler), who as a cranky, sarcastic, non-exercising alcoholic still has some semblance of personality and independence. As Joanna and Bobbie investigate their neighbors further, they discover that there is indeed something artificial about them, something... robotic, the result of the husbands banding together to replace their human wives with cyborg copies who are subservient, sexually compliant and devoid of any distinguishing character traits. Will Joanna and Bobbie be the next ones replaced by perfect robotic clones? (Roger Bart plays a gay confidante of Kidman's character who ends up getting "straightened out"; Walken and Close play a couple; Lovitz plays Midler's husband)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

I think Nicole Kidman has replaced Bruce Willis's long heralded "Movie A Month" stint.  Congratulations, Nicole.

All she needs is a record deal, and she will easily cinch the "Beyonce Knowles Award" for the Annual Media Overload awards.

molly

nobody can beat Madonna. She'll be jumping out of cereal box one day.

Pedro

But Nicole's really really good.

cine

She's really good, but not as good as people say she is.
I think I'll have much more respect for somebody like Charlize Theron after "Monster."

MacGuffin

Quote from: mollynobody can beat Madonna.

If given the opportunity, I would...to a bloody pulp.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThen...with a tire iron?

Why risk damaging a perfectly good tire iron?

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

that trailer doesn't work
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: CinephileI think I'll have much more respect for somebody like Charlize Theron after "Monster."
Hmmm, well wait until you see that.  I made the unfortunate mistake of watching 'Trapped' on cable last night.  She needs to be stopped.

MacGuffin

Quote from: taz.that trailer doesn't work

You mean as a marketing tool (which I agree with 'cause it gives away the 'reveal' for thos who don't know the story), or that doesn't show? I just rechecked them and they're playing fine.

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

damn mac, your wit is killing me. :lol:

Pubrick

Quote from: taz.that trailer doesn't work
Thank God.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

I saw this in the theatre the other day and it looks hilarious