THE SHAPE OF THINGS

Started by godardian, May 12, 2003, 01:44:27 PM

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: godardianAs for the Mamet comparison, I'd say House of Games does everything right that Shape of Things doesn't when it came to the static-minimalism thing. The LOOK of LaBute's film doesn't hold a candle, which I think makes a lot of difference. They're such differerent stories, too.

I'd compare it more to Mamet's "Oleanna".

Ah... I reflexively think House of Games when I think "early Mamet" (films). I haven't seen Oleanna. Should see. Doesn't it have William H. Macy?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardianI haven't seen Oleanna. Should see. Doesn't it have William H. Macy?

Yes, he plays a teacher whose student accuses him of sexual harrassment. Just came out on DVD a week or so ago. Now if they would just release Mamet's "Homicide".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

I think Oleanna is my favorite Mamet-directed film. Pretty incendiary.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: godardianI absolutely loved In the Company of Men and especially Your Friends and Neighbors.
completely agree, i am a big fan of lebute.

I watched this today.  overall, i liked it.  2 things i didn't like...the cheeseball friend, and i am not a fan of rachel.  I dunno, she just doesn't appeal to me.  she did do a great job though, i can say that.  

I felt this was sorta a vice versa in the company of men.  Both about attackin' the weaknesses of the pursuit of a partner.  And honestly I think, the portrayal of paul rudd's character is pretty right on.  Amazin' what some will do for just one persoin's heart...    :?

modage

wow.  i saw this movie last night on HBO.  i dont really care for Neil LaBute, in the same way i dont care for Todd Solondz.  they have their fans, but i'm just not one of them.  (i still havent seen In The Company of Men, although i am curious enough that i will soon).  the dialogue was a bit heavy adn stagey and rudd was alittle overboard at the beginning and usually i hate plays becoming movies that dont make a good transition, BUT somewhere during the film i sort of just was pulled in enough to the story that i didnt care.  i like rudd and weisz, and really liked the two supporting actors too.  i saw it steering bad for a while, but when the end came i was ABSOLUTELY FLOORED.  it was horrible, heartbreaking, just....really effective.   i liked the all Elvis Costello score, cool how it seemed like it was all This Years Model and When I Was Cruel, although i think someone else could make better use of it.  and the movie has sort of stuck with me today alittle bit too where i keep thinking about it.  so, i give it a pretty good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: themodernage02the dialogue was a bit heavy adn stagey and rudd was alittle overboard at the beginning and usually i hate plays becoming movies that dont make a good transition, BUT somewhere during the film i sort of just was pulled in enough to the story that i didnt care.
It felt like a total Romantic Comedy parody to me. I loved it.