Where The Wild Things Are

Started by tpfkabi, November 27, 2003, 09:31:27 PM

brockly

Stefen

Thanks guys.

Amazing. Just amazing.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: pozer on February 17, 2008, 06:38:05 PM
so diving further into this, im reading that it's just early test footage shot at the griffith observatory in LA.  the real movie was shot in Australia.  that's not the kid nor voice that was cast.

I thought something was off. There didn't seem like one professional set up or transition in the whole clip. It looks like the clip is showing an emotional peak in the film, but it was filmed as if the filmmakers were standing around and shooting. Nothing more. I would have been dissappointed if that really was a clip from the film

JG

also, the monster's audio was clearly recorded in a room. its still really cool though.

Stefen

AICN is reporting that that's the cut Moriarty saw. It looked just like that, but people are complaining about how it's not "fantasy" enough and that was the big gripe coming out of the test screenings.

Personally, I prefer the "contemporary" look of it. The clip that was shown is absolutely PERFECT as far as tone goes. I don't wanna see something that doesn't look real.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

Quote from: Stefen on February 18, 2008, 03:07:42 PM
AICN is reporting that that's the cut Moriarty saw. It looked just like that, but people are complaining about how it's not "fantasy" enough and that was the big gripe coming out of the test screenings.

But in the clip, that's neither the actual kid nor the actual costume, is it? 

My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

They said it's the clip isn't from the movie, just that it looked the same. Gandolfini was nowhere to be found.

MacGuffin

Jonze Comments on "Leaked" Wild Things Clip
Source: ComingSoon.net

A clip believed to be from Warner Bros. Pictures' big screen Where the Wild Things Are was recently leaked online. Today, however, director Spike Jonze told us that the footage seen is not actually from the film.

"That was a very early test with the sole purpose of just getting some footage to Ben our vfx (visual effects) supervisor to see if our vfx plan for the faces would work," Jonze said. "The clip doesn't look or feel anything like the movie, the Wild Thing suit is a very early cringy prototype, and the boy is a friend of ours Griffin who we had used in a Yeah Yeah Yeahs video we shot a few weeks before. We love him, but he is not in the actually film...Oh and that is not a wolf suit, its a lamb suit we bought on the internet."

Planned for a 2009 release, the family fantasy-adventure stars Catherine Keener, Benicio Del Toro, Forest Whitaker, Lauren Ambrose, Catherine O'Hara, Tom Noonan, Michael Berry and James Gandolfini.

The film follows the adventures of Max, a head-strong young boy who leaves home after having a fight with his mother -- only to find himself in a mysterious forest bordering a vast sea. Misunderstood and rebellious, Max sets sail to the land of the Wild Things, where mischief reigns.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 20, 2008, 01:05:59 AM
"That was a very early test with the sole purpose of just getting some footage to Ben our vfx (visual effects) supervisor to see if our vfx plan for the faces would work," Jonze said.

Wow, if that is just an early test I can't even imagine how amazing the actual film will look/be.

This and Avatar will rule 2009; btw, when was it officially changed to 2009????  :yabbse-angry:

Pozer

Quote from: that article on February 20, 2008, 03:18:03 PM
You can imagine the panic at Warner Bros when they realized they'd made a reportedly 75 million dollar kiddie art house film.

then what the fuck did they hire Spike Jonze for?!

edit: just finished reading it.

Quote from: that article on February 20, 2008, 03:18:03 PM
It's not a cookie cutter kid movie, and I know that was part of the original appeal to folks at Warner Bros - why the hell else do you bring Jonze on?

WB Suit #1: Well, should we scrap it or re-shoot with some hack?
WB Suit #2: ...let's do it Kubrick directors series DVDs style.
WB SUIT #1: ...we shit on it.  Fuck yea-yeah!
*high five*

modage

if they really gave him $75 MILLION dollars to make this, they are fucking retarded. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

New release date: October 16th 2009

MacGuffin

Whitaker Addresses 'Wild Things' Re-Shoots, Says Kids Can Handle Jonze's Vision
Source: MTV

Recent headlines have speculated wildly on the fate of "Where the Wild Things Are." Advance screenings have reportedly proven too scary for kids, and resulting rumors have Spike Jonze's flick being re-cut, re-focused, or even entirely re-shot.

According to one of the film's voice stars, however, there are at least three kids who had no problem handling the horribleness.

"My children are 9, 11, and 16," insisted Forest Whitaker, saying that he took his children to one of those early "Things" screenings. "It was intense. They liked it, though. They enjoyed it."

The film is a unique mix of live-action, CGI, animatronics and enormous puppets, with Whitaker as the main monster. "I play Ira, he puts the holes in the trees," the Oscar-winner grinned. "I have a wife and kid, and we're the only family unit inside [the land of the Wild Things]. It's a good movie. I saw an early cut of it. I brought my kids to see it, and I was really impressed."

So impressed, in fact, that Whitaker is becoming increasingly concerned by all those rumors that Jonze's cut is under siege. "I'm going to call Spike and find out what's going on," he promised. "The thing is, it's one thing to read [scary stuff] in a book, but when you see an itty-bitty kid running alongside a 10-foot-giant on the side of a cliff, it gets intense. But that's the point, because we're representing the things inside of the kid. They represent his struggles, either him being too angry or being confused, or not feeling like he belongs. They're a gargantuan extension of the way he's feeling inside."

The good news for fans is that Jonze has stayed faithful to the book; the bad news for Jonze, however, is that he may have stayed too faithful to the book. "[The dark scenes] are the point of the movie, and I hope that they maintain that point, because I think children can identify with a character who is upset," the father of four explained, citing one key scene of destruction as being particularly controversial. "[The main character Max] built this whole city, and nobody likes it, and he tears it all up. He's like, 'Well if you don't like it, I'm just going to tear it up!' because he wants so badly for someone to like it."

"This kid rolls by himself, no father figure; this is a single family home," he continued, with passion. "His mother ends up having a boyfriend that becomes like a monster to him...people have to build trust with the people their parent starts to date...These are real issues that the character deals with, and I hope that [the filmmakers] continue to explore them, because kids need to see that; they need to see that other kids are dealing with it."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Just let Spike do his thing. What's the worst that can happen?