Peter Jackson's KING KONG

Started by Spike, December 14, 2003, 01:15:38 PM

Raikus

Normally I have a problem with remakes, but not this one.

First of all, they've already gone into franchise territory in the past so it's not like PJ is suddenly awakening King Kong after 70 years. At this point it's almost like saying remaking 'Godzilla' is abhorrible.

Secondly, have you ever tried to get someone who wasn't a complete cinephile to sit through the original? If the original isn't getting blasted for being racist, it's getting blasted because of the FX. I don't want a shot for shot remake, but seeing King Kong done believable would be awesome. And although audiences could suspend their disbelief in the 1930's, that's not the case now.

Finally, there's no one else who I'd rather have helming remakes of classic movies that PJ. He's proved he's meticulous to the craft and knows how to put a story together.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Fernando

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Fernando
Quote from: GhostboyGuys, be honest. Do I just have too much blind faith/optimism for my own good?

No, he will take it to another level for sure.

another level of what?!? seriously, how do you improve a classic?

Quote from: Pfor one thing, i expect to wack off over naomi in it. i could not wack off over the old one.

hence the new one is better.

I rest my case.   :wink:

Seriously, you have a point about remaking classics and trying to improve them, but maybe I just have too much faith in PJ, I trust that he will make 'his' version of the classic and add something great to it, I don't expect him to do what Van Sant did with Psycho, I also think is great that it'll be set in the 30's, how can this be good? I really don't know, but that's the way I feel.

MacGuffin

NAOMI WATTS CONFIRMED TO PLAY PETER JACKSON'S FAY WRAY

E! News Daily's Correspondent David Adelson attented the annual BAFTA/LA luncheon held in Los Angeles on Saturday and interviewed Naomi Watts and director Peter Jackson on the whereabouts of Jackson's next film project King Kong:

DA:You will be cast in King Kong?

NW: I will sit in the hand of King Kong (laughs.)

DA: When do you start filming?

NW: August

PJ: I just want to approach King Kong as a drama.. not as a fantasy.. not as anything other than a straight drama and explore what would really happen in that situation and I think would be interesting.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Quote from: MacGuffinNAOMI WATTS CONFIRMED TO PLAY PETER JACKSON'S FAY WRAY

PJ: I just want to approach King Kong as a drama.. not as a fantasy.. not as anything other than a straight drama and explore what would really happen in that situation and I think would be interesting.
Haha.  This film is going to be hilarious.  You know when you play material such as this straight you're asking for disaster.

kotte

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: MacGuffinNAOMI WATTS CONFIRMED TO PLAY PETER JACKSON'S FAY WRAY

Haha.  This film is going to be hilarious.  You know when you play material such as this straight you're asking for disaster.

Remember Godzilla?

ono

Quote from: kotteRemember Godzilla?
Nope.  What about it?

kotte

Nope.  What about it?

I was just thinking how they played it straight...that's how I saw it anyway...and it sucked.

cine

Quote from: kotte
Nope.  What about it?
I was just thinking how they played it straight...that's how I saw it anyway...and it sucked.
How unbearably true.

Stringstroker

Am I the only one who thinks that Peter Jackson is the most over rated direcor  working today?  I thought LOTR was okay at best and I almost vomited when I heard about King Kong.  I love the original and he is going to ruin it.
"This is funny.  This is nice."
-Barry Egan

MacGuffin

Quote from: StringstrokerI love the original and he is going to ruin it.

If this terrible version couldn't ruin the original, nothing will:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

truly one of the worst re-makes in history!  i guess thats one thing this has going for it, it wont be as good as the first one, but CANT be as bad as the second!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: StringstrokerAm I the only one who thinks that Peter Jackson is the most over rated direcor  working today?
hav u seen any of his other work? heavenly creatures, the frighteners, braindead/dead alive, meet the feebles, bad taste, FORGOTTEN SILVER..?

u sound like the ppl who think Russel Crowe was born when LA Confidential came out.
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

Also, when you compare his serious and realistic notion of King Kong to the 'serious and realistic' remake of Godzilla, remember what directors you are comparing -- Peter Jackson vs. the Emmerich/Devlin team is not exactly a case of equality.

Derek

Quote from: StringstrokerAm I the only one who thinks that Peter Jackson is the most over rated direcor  working today?  I thought LOTR was okay at best and I almost vomited when I heard about King Kong.  I love the original and he is going to ruin it.

With all the talk of ruining the original here, how many have really seen it and hold it such high regard? Not me. I'm sure it is a landmark of special effects, but it is seventy years old.

It seems like you are defending someone else's nostalgia.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

modage

Quote from: DerekWith all the talk of ruining the original here, how many have really seen it and hold it such high regard?
me.  i grew up watching all the universal classic monster movies and this one (even though its RKO, its still classic).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.