The Passion Of The Christ

Started by MacGuffin, January 28, 2003, 01:49:48 AM

Raikus

What the hell is going on in here?!
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

grand theft sparrow

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!  They'll hear you.

MacGuffin

Gibson's "Apocalypto" Is Nigh
Source: E! Online

In The Passion of the Christ, Mel Gibson revived the Aramaic language. For his next movie, he'll give new life to an ancient Greek term.

Apocalypto is the title of Gibson's next self-financed epic, Daily Variety reported Friday. Shooting is scheduled to begin in October, and a summer 2006 release is planned.

The film is described as an action picture, set 3,000 years in the past. Details otherwise are sketchy, and that's the way Gibson apparently wants it. According to Variety, the star requested studio execs read the script at his offices, less any pages get leaked.

As Gibson did on Passion, the Oscar-winning multihyphenate is directing, writing and producing, but not starring. Also as was done on Passion, his Icon Productions is footing the bill. While Hollywood studios were reluctant to distribute the religious epic that ended up grossing more than $611 million worldwide--the independent company Newmarket Films handled the honors--Disney beat out rivals for dibs on Apocalypto, the trade paper said.

Apocalypto is a Greek term meaning unveiling. It is not to be confused with Apocalypso, the 2003 album by vocalist Rita Calypso, or apparently even apocalyptic, the adjective of biblical doom. In fact, according to Variety, Gibson's Apocalypto is "not religious in theme."

In Passion, Gibson retold the final hours of Jesus' life, often in excruciating detail. Though movies dealing with religious figures hadn't been welcomed by the masses since the 1950s, Gibson's was, and found itself credited with bringing AWOL audiences back to theaters.

One group Passion didn't click with was Oscar voters. The film, accused sight unseen by some as a work that would fuel anti-Semitism, took home zero awards. Overall, the film earned three nominations, not one of which was for Gibson, who'd won two Oscars for directing and producing Braveheart.

Since the passions over Passion died down, Gibson has focused on television--he produced two short-lived shows last season, Clubhouse and Complete Savages--and fending off a stalker. Outside of a cameo on Complete Savages, and some supporting work in independent films, Gibson, the actor, hasn't starred in a Hollywood movie since 2002's Signs.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin
Since the passions over Passion died down, Gibson has focused on television--he produced two short-lived shows last season, Clubhouse and Complete Savages--and fending off a stalker. Outside of a cameo on Complete Savages, and some supporting work in independent films, Gibson, the actor, hasn't starred in a Hollywood movie since 2002's Signs.

Don't forget he produced Paparazzi.

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinThe film is described as an action picture, set 3,000 years in the past. Details otherwise are sketchy
letterman said it's about the mayans, then he made fun of me.
under the paving stones.

Escapeism

I am a Christian and I get the message without seeing a 2 hour movie showing the never ending torcher of Jesus Christ.  This is typical backwards thinking using guilt to force people to see this movie so a man can make sick amounts of money.  I thought The Last Temptation of Christ was a much deeper movie with an ending that made you understand the true meaning of Jesus Christ.  I dont wear religion on my sleeve, I just go with the flow and this movie was the same as seeing a Jim Carrey movie its funny for the first 2 minutes then its the same thing over and over again. :yabbse-thumbdown:
Its facinating how fast disturbing becomes undisturbing.

Myxo

Gibson Asked to Stage Christ's Crucifixion

SYDNEY, Australia - Actor-director Mel Gibson has been asked to recreate the crucifixion of Jesus Christ in the streets of Sydney if the city is selected to host a major Catholic gathering in 2008, a newspaper reported.

Gibson's staging of the Stations of the Cross, a live interpretation of Christ's final hours, would be part of a bid by the city to secure the Catholic Church's World Youth Day in 2008, the Sydney Morning Herald reported Saturday.

The crucifixion reenactment — similar to scenes from Gibson's hugely successful film "The Passion of the Christ" — would begin with the Last Supper staged at Sydney's landmark Opera House at sunset, and would end with the crucifixion of Christ at St. Mary's Cathedral, according to bid documents the newspaper said it obtained.

The Archbishop of Sydney, George Pell, said intermediaries had approached Gibson about staging the event. Gibson's involvement with World Youth Day was on the city's "wish list," Pell said.

"He might well be attracted. I think his devotion to Christ is very real," he said.

The venue for the 2008 gathering, expected to attract an estimated 400,000 young Catholics from 160 countries, will be announced by the Pope on Aug. 21.

cowboykurtis

this is quite sad, idiotic, and uneccessary.

one of two things would be more tasteful:
A. showing the film
B. Mel Gibson growing a well groomed beard and nailing himself to the cross
...your excuses are your own...