Popeye / Punch-Drunk Love

Started by SHAFTR, June 19, 2003, 03:27:20 PM

SHAFTR

I was reading a review on Popeye and it mentioned how it makes a good double feature with PDL.

Now, I have never seen Popeye, I know it is by Altman but does anyone here recommend it?

//http://www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_6/popeye.html
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Tictacbk

Its a lot different from other Altman films, i'll say that much.

"He Needs Me" from PDL is taken from Altman's Popeye

Redlum

I got the DVD of Popeye and its awesome hearing the sound remixed. There's so much I missed. He Needs ME will never be the same again though.

To be honest its not a great film (quite bad even) but its quite fun. I like it just for the sarcastic mutterings from Robin Williams' . His performance in general is pretty entertaining.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

In front of "Spider-Man 2," I saw a Nike commercial about a group of girls (who turn into one of the Williams sisters) fawning over their tennis instructor while "He Needs Me" played on the soundtrack.

That is all.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

I for one loved Popeye, but it's been about eight years since I've seen it. My memories are nothing if not fond.

Finn

Well it certainly doesn't rate up there with PDL (the song is used better too). But it's surprising Popeye came from Altman. Must've been early in his career.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: InsomniacWell it certainly doesn't rate up there with PDL (the song is used better too). But it's surprising Popeye came from Altman. Must've been early in his career.

no...i think he did it after 'the comapny" but before "the brave little toaster"

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: InsomniacWell it certainly doesn't rate up there with PDL (the song is used better too). But it's surprising Popeye came from Altman. Must've been early in his career.

no...i think he did it after 'the comapny" but before "the brave little toaster"
*GASP* Altman has a time machine?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Jake_82

Quote from: ranemaka13*GASP* Altman has a time machine?

of course, how did you think he ripped off PTA?
your reality is at the end of your dream

hedwig

Quote from: MacGuffinIn front of "Spider-Man 2," I saw a Nike commercial about a group of girls (who turn into one of the Williams sisters) fawning over their tennis instructor while "He Needs Me" played on the soundtrack.

That is all.

I saw this too and  it made me kind of angry...

Kind of like when that fantastic Nina Simone song showed up in a damn Coca Cola commercial.

Reel

Such a goddamned entertaining movie. Popeye's Dad is making me laugh my ass off. Shelley Duvall's performance is hilarious and annoying as all hell.

Alexandro

I could never finish Popeye. Interesting, I guess, would be the term to describe it. Altman said small kids really enjoyed it. I might play it for my son when he's old enough to follow it, but my own experience was dreadful. The best thing that film ever did was inspire PT Anderson to include the song in PDL.

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: Reelist on September 09, 2012, 12:05:15 PM
Shelley Duvall's performance is hilarious and annoying as all hell.

She's like that in EVERY ROLE. I still think her performance in The Shining is one of the most unintentionally funny performances of all time (imo, Almost as good as Tommy Wiseau in The Room). Her facial expressions + over acting = Comedic Gold  :yabbse-thumbup: 

As far as Popeye goes, I do admit it was pretty entertaining. The problem is that is such a fucking MESS... I read somewhere that both Altman and Williams were doing massive amounts of cocaine during the filming of this movie, and it definitely shows.

To me the movie is like Scorsese's NEW YORK, NEW YORK (which is another movie where everybody was fucking high as shit on coke). It's sort of entertaining and funny but it's such a sloppy mess that even though it has it's moments, it just never feels "Good".

I kinda feel that way about most of Altman's stuff by the way. Except for THE LONG GOODBYE. That one is awesome.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.