The Office

Started by Redlum, September 19, 2003, 11:46:50 AM

rustinglass

About the song during the credits: I can't undrstand all the words. Can someone fill in an/or correct if I have some wrong?

So what becomes of you, my love?
When they have finally..............
The handbags and the................
That your grandpa had to sweat so you could buy them.

thanks
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

meatwad

the song is called 'handbags and gladrags' . It's a rod stewart song, i know stereophonics cover it, but i'm not sure who does the cover during the office credits. the lyrics are...

So what becomes of you my love
When they have finally stripped you of
The handbags and the gladrags
That your Grandad had to sweat so you could buy
Baby

clerkguy23

the office is my favorite show at the moment. its so great. anyone know some good quotes? so far my favorite moment was when they have the training seminar and david brent is acting out a scene with the instructor and he inturrupts the instuctors character by saying, "I think there's been a rape!"... its not too funny written down, but the scene is fucking halarious.

rustinglass

there are so many good ones. off the top of my head:

Gareth: The dog's name was "nigger".
David: You don't have to repeat it, it was back in the 40's before racism was bad.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

clerkguy23

*Admin-edited for accuracy*

instructor: Gareth, quick test exercise, ultimate fantasy?
Gareth: Hmm?
Brent: We're just doing the ultimate fantasy, we're all doing it.
Gareth: Two lesbians probably, sisters. I'm just watching.
instructor: ... ... okay.. um, Tim? Do you have one?
Tim: I'd never thought I'd say this, but can I hear more from Gareth, please?

Pas

My favorite part is : There are things that I'll never laugh at. The handicapped. Because there's nothing funny about them. Or any deformity. It's like when you see someone look at a little handicapped and go 'ooh, look at him, he's not able-bodied. I am, I'm prejudiced.' Yeah, well, at least the little handicapped fella is able-minded. Unless he's not, it's difficult to tell with the with the wheelchair ones.

or the part where David puts : 'You're simply the best' after his motivational speech

Ravi

Quote from: Pas RapportMy favorite part is : There are things that I’ll never laugh at. The handicapped. Because there’s nothing funny about them. Or any deformity. It’s like when you see someone look at a little handicapped and go ‘ooh, look at him, he’s not able-bodied. I am, I’m prejudiced.’ Yeah, well, at least the little handicapped fella is able-minded. Unless he’s not, it’s difficult to tell with the with the wheelchair ones.

David's treatment of the handicapped is so damn backward that its funny.  Gareth does that stuff too, like when he wanted to test the handicapped woman's legs by poking them with a pin.

SHAFTR

I recently rewatched the series and it's even better the 2nd time around.  I think it's becoming a must buy dvd for me.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Weak2ndAct

Favorite quote?  See my sig.

I've seen the pilot for the American take.  It works and it doesn't.  Steve Carrell doesn't even bother trying to ape Gervais, he takes the boss role into a whole other realm of bad jokes and awkwardness, most of his scenes are cringe-inducing (in a good way).  The guy they got for Tim is trying to hard to ape Martin Freeman, but he works.  The Dawn character could have been cuter.  As for Gareth, well... let's just hope they take Rainn Wilson in a different direction.  He just comes off too creepy and nuts.

The pilot is basically a copy of the first Brit Office, albeit w/ some american-ized references and some trims here and there.  I still laughed at some of the old jokes, and even at some of the new ones.  

I'm glad to hear that they're going 'off-book' for the 6 mid-season episodes that were ordered.

Raikus

Quote from: Weak2ndActI've seen the pilot for the American take.  It works and it doesn't.  Steve Carrell doesn't even bother trying to ape Gervais, he takes the boss role into a whole other realm of bad jokes and awkwardness, most of his scenes are cringe-inducing (in a good way).  The guy they got for Tim is trying to hard to ape Martin Freeman, but he works.  The Dawn character could have been cuter.  As for Gareth, well... let's just hope they take Rainn Wilson in a different direction.  He just comes off too creepy and nuts.
There's just some cases where capital punishment is too lenient. Americanizing great BBC shows is just such a case.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

The Perineum Falcon

Here I was thinking that Arrested Developement was our The Office.  :?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pas

Quote from: Raikus
Quote from: Weak2ndActI've seen the pilot for the American take.  It works and it doesn't.  Steve Carrell doesn't even bother trying to ape Gervais, he takes the boss role into a whole other realm of bad jokes and awkwardness, most of his scenes are cringe-inducing (in a good way).  The guy they got for Tim is trying to hard to ape Martin Freeman, but he works.  The Dawn character could have been cuter.  As for Gareth, well... let's just hope they take Rainn Wilson in a different direction.  He just comes off too creepy and nuts.
There's just some cases where capital punishment is too lenient. Americanizing great BBC shows is just such a case.

I don't know, I feel I don't get many jokes on the Office because of british reference... I kinda look forward to this version.

Raikus

Quote from: Pas RapportI don't know, I feel I don't get many jokes on the Office because of british reference... I kinda look forward to this version.
Well, for me, the series worked on its own and struck a dynamic that I think can never be reproduced. But when a show like this is made in America it turns from this:

Quote from: BBC VersionThere are things that I'll never laugh at. The handicapped. Because there's nothing funny about them. Or any deformity. It's like when you see someone look at a little handicapped and go 'ooh, look at him, he's not able-bodied. I am, I'm prejudiced.' Yeah, well, at least the little handicapped fella is able-minded. Unless he's not, it's difficult to tell with the with the wheelchair ones.
To this:
Quote from: American ButcheringI don't laugh at SOME stuff. Like the handicapped. Because they aren't funny. Or anyone with disabilities. You may look at someone a little handicapped and go 'look at him, poor handicapped guy. But then realize you're not being politically correct. At least the cripple is being P.C. Unless he's a little Woo-woo in the head. Can never tell.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Raikus
Quote from: American ButcheringI don't laugh at SOME stuff. Like the handicapped. Because they aren't funny. Or anyone with disabilities. You may look at someone a little handicapped and go 'look at him, poor handicapped guy. But then realize you're not being politically correct. At least the cripple is being P.C. Unless he's a little Woo-woo in the head. Can never tell.
Oh, that's just awful.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Raikus

Thank you. I'd just like to annouce that based on my reworking of dialogue on the hit BBC show "The Office," NBC has hired me to begin updating "Blackadder" starring Steve Harvey for next fall's schedule.