the secret life of walter mitty

Started by Alethia, July 17, 2003, 03:08:44 PM

Alethia

apparently this is going to happen with jim carrey after indy 4.  thoughts?  comments?  news?  u know what to do.  or what not to do.  go ahead.

have fun.

mutinyco

It's beneath him. I think he'll develop it, then pass it off to somebody else.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

modage

PLOT SYNOPSIS FROM IMDB (for anyone who hasn't read this yet).

Walter Mitty, a daydreaming accountant with an overprotective mother, likes to imagine himself as a hero experiencing great adventures. His dream becomes true when he accidently meets a mysterious woman who hands him a little black book. According to her it contains the locations of the Dutch crown jewels hidden since World War II. Soon Mitty finds himself in the middle of a confusing conspiracy and has to admit that being a hero in real life isn't that easy.

It is a remake of the 1947 film with Danny Kaye as Walter Mitty.
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0039808

personally i think it sounds fun, and i am more interested in this than terminal.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

I don't think Jim Carrey is the man for the job
I like to hug dogs

cine

This thread sorta died quickly but I've been wanting to know if this is going to happen. I think Carrey working with Spielberg would be fucking excellent. Why wouldn't Carrey be the man for the job though? Who do you think would be better?

Sleuth

I don't know who I would pick, but Carrey just doesn't seem like it.  He's too animated.  I always pictured Walter as sort of laid back and dazed
I like to hug dogs

thewrathofsam

bonanzataz

ugh, anytime i think about jim carrey i think about that awful bruce almighty. i wish we could erase the grinch, the majestic, and bruce and go right to eternal sunshine so my image of the guy wouldn't be tarnished.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Sal

QuoteIt is a remake of the 1947 film with Danny Kaye as Walter Mitty.
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0039808

whhhiich was based on a short story of the same name.

Sleuth

Listen, we already had a modern day Walter Mitty, but nobody watched it except me.  And it was great

I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

There's New Life in Walter Mitty
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Samuel Goldwyn Jr. and his son John Goldwyn are teaming up to produce a remake of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, says The Hollywood Reporter. Jim Carrey has a first-look option to star in the project, which is set up at Paramount Pictures. Carrey's final commitment is subject to his seeing the script.

The original film, which starred Danny Kaye as a henpecked daydreamer who lives all sorts of adventures through his fantasies, departed from the more melancholic James Thurber story on which the film was based.

"The goal is to go back to the short story and capture not only the content but the original spirit," John Goldwyn said. Richard LaGravenese (The Horse Whisperer) is in discussions to write the new film.

DreamWorks and Steven Spielberg are no longer involved in the project. Paramount Pictures will finance and distribute the film, which will be a Samuel Goldwyn Films production.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Waters Wades Into Mitty
Studio hires helmer for remake.

Paramount has brought on Mean Girls director Mark Waters to helm their long-gestating remake of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, according to today's Variety.  This is the first movement on the project since Steven Spielberg opted out of the director's chair last year.

The original 1947 version, which starred Danny Kaye, was based on a short story by humorist James Thurber. It follows a daydreaming accountant who imagines himself as a hero and adventurer.  His dreams suddenly become reality when a mysterious woman gives him a book that contains the location of the Dutch crown jewels.

Samuel Goldwyn Jr. and his son John Goldwyn will produce the Mitty redo. Samuel Goldwyn Sr. produced the original.

The long-in-development project has seen a number of helmers come and go, including Spielberg, Ron Howard and Chuck Russell.

Waters (Mean Girls) will direct from a script by Richard LaGravanese. LaGravanese's credits include The Fisher King, The Horse Whisperer, and Bridges of Madison County.

There's no casting news, but Jim Carrey was previously linked to the title role back when Spielberg was set to direct. Carrey is known to be a personal favorite of Goldwyn Jr.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Wilson telling 'Secret' for Par
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Owen Wilson is in final negotiations to star in "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty," the remake of the 1947 Danny Kaye classic that Mark Waters is directing for Paramount Pictures.

Wilson would star as the title character, a quintessential daydreamer whose vivid imagination allows him to escape from the mundane constraints of his ordinary life.

Richard LaGravenese wrote the screenplay, which will not be based on the original movie but rather hew closer to the spirit and content of the original source material, the 1939 James Thurber story.

Samuel Goldwyn Jr. and John Goldwyn are producing, while Dick Vane executive produces.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Par's 'Mitty' pic just a daydream

Paramount Pictures' on-again, off-again "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" is off again as far as the studio is concerned. Paramount confirmed Friday that the long-gestating project, which was to have starred Owen Wilson, is in turnaround. Sources said the project lost momentum at Paramount after the studio failed to cast a female lead to play opposite Wilson. Scarlett Johansson emerged as the front-runner after screen-testing with Wilson this month, but a deal never closed. Although she is believed to still be interested in the project, Wilson, who had signed on to play the title character in June contingent upon a female lead being cast, recently withdrew from the project. Sources say Zach Braff is now the front-runner to play Mitty in the remake of 1947 comedy classic to be directed by Mark Waters and produced by Samuel Goldwyn Jr. and John Goldwyn. Paramount denied that the delay in casting a female lead played a role in pushing Wilson off the project. Meanwhile, Goldwyn Jr. cited "creative differences" for the project being put in turnaround. "This is the best possible solution," he said.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Myers is the man for 'Mitty'

Mike Myers is attached to "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty," the long-in-the works remake of the 1947 Danny Kaye classic that is set up at 20th Century Fox.

Jay Kogen, a writer-producer on such shows as "Frasier" and "Malcolm in the Middle," is penning the movie. Samuel Goldwyn Jr. is producing.

This is the latest incarnation for "Mitty," which over the years has attracted the likes of Jim Carrey and Eddie Murphy, even Whoopi Goldberg in a "Martha Mitty" version. Directors that came and went included Steven Spielberg and Chuck Russell.

Goldwyn had the project set up at Paramount with Marks Waters directing and Owen Wilson starring, but it stalled in October 2005 after the studio failed to cast a female lead to play opposite the actor. It was then put into turnaround, with Goldwyn citing "creative differences" at the time.

"Mitty" centers on a quintessential daydreamer whose vivid imagination allows him to escape from the mundane constraints of his ordinary life.

Myers' next project is "The Love Guru," a comedy he co-wrote based on a character of his creation, which is heading for an August start. Among the projects he is attached to star include Paramount's "How to Survive a Robot Uprising."

Skeleton FilmWorks