Dumb And Dumber To

Started by MacGuffin, September 24, 2013, 02:31:44 PM

MacGuffin

Jeff Daniels Says That Dumb And Dumber To Tops The Toilet Scene From The First Movie
Source: Cinema Blend

If you've ever seen Peter and Bobby Farrelly's seminal 1994 film Dumb & Dumber then there's a good chance that you remember the horribly hilarious toilet scene. Competing for the affections of the same girl, Jim Carrey's character Lloyd poisons his friend Harry (Jeff Daniels) with laxatives, and the result is one of the most disgusting, awful, and hysterical bathroom scenes we've seen. It will be a moment that will be hard to top in the upcoming sequel, but according to Daniels the Farrelly's have something in store for us that goes far beyond what we saw in the first movie.

Last night at the 2013 Emmy Awards Daniels took home the Best Actor in a Drama Series trophy for his work on the HBO series The Newsroom, but it was his comments about Dumb and Dumber To that he made to E! afterwards that caught our attention. Heading backstage to the press area after his win, Daniels was asked about the scariest thing and the best thing about getting to work on the comedy sequel, and replied, "The scariest thing? There are some things that's we're going to do in Dumb and Dumber To that make the toilet scene [in the original] seem lame. Pales in comparison and I can't divulge what, but just that they've topped it. They best thing about it? I get to work with a comedic genius."

The "comedic genius" he refers to, of course, is Carrey, who will be back to play the role of Lloyd to Daniels' Harry. Based on a script by We're The Millers scribes John Morris and Sean Anders, the new movie once again finds the duo on a road trip as Harry tries to find his illegitimate daughter and give her the kidney transplant that she needs. While it's not entirely clear how the story works, along the way they get caught up in the drama of the Pichlow family, who have some pretty shady things going on behind the scenes. Adele Pichlow, played by The Walking Dead's Laurie Holden, is trying to poison her husband, Dr. Pichlow (Steve Tom), and kill her step-daughter Penny (Rachel Melvin), so that she can steal all of the family's money and runaway with the handyman. Harry somehow lands on her hit-list as well. Kathleen Turner is also on-board to play Fraida Felcher, the woman who Harry reveals he had a relationship with while in the hot tub with Lloyd in the first movie.

Universal Pictures, which picked up the project after it was dropped by Warner Bros. and New Line, is likely to release the movie next year, as production is gearing to start up soon, but an official release date has not yet been announced.

--------------------------------------

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Is it too late to go back and have this not have happened?
My house, my rules, my coffee

why did you do that to me and why did i let it happen......

BB

What about when he fists the invalid woman though? Hehe?  :yabbse-undecided:

tpfkabi

Despite the absurdity of the original, it had very realistic cinematography to balance it some.
This looks like TV sketch comedy.

I'm starting to fear that if this has major backlash, Jim Carrey will disappear for a while.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

BB

No, but like, her pussy's full of dust because she's old and sick. Hehe he?  :yabbse-undecided:

Reel

I thought she was a drug mule

polkablues

Quote from: tpfkabi on June 11, 2014, 09:12:39 AM
I'm starting to fear that if this has major backlash, Jim Carrey will disappear for a while.

Based on this, I'm starting to hope for it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

I couldn't care less about Jim Carey. What about Jeff Daniels's reputation?

For contrast:

definitely. but for a different but even better contrast:

jesus what happened to stupid comedies? the original 1994 trailer actually looks watchable, looks fairly well composed, but definitely a fun and stupid comedy. now the dumb and dumber to trailer just looks lifeless and garish and so completely unnatural.
probaly a good conversation for the 'stupid garbage comedies' or whatever its called but: when did stupid fun comedies turn into what they are now?

tpfkabi

This return and seeing The Terminator recently has really got me thinking about the loss of payphones due to cell phones, and thus the loss of phone booth scenes in movies.

In Terminator and D&D, characters both look for people via phonebooth phonebooks.
I guess if you make Terminator now the machines have some kind of wi-fi and access the internet?
I haven't seen the newer ones, so maybe they already came up with something.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

jenkins

Kentucker Audley (Open Five 2) Talks Peter and Bobby Farrelly's Dumb and Dumber To
http://thetalkhouse.com/film/talks/kentucker-audley-open-five-2-talks-peter-and-bobby-farrellys-dumb-and-dumber-to/

I'll admit I didn't see much potential for the new Dumb and Dumber to be funny. After cringing through the trailer, I walked in fearing I wouldn't laugh once. The premise irritated me. Twenty years after the original, Lloyd (Jim Carrey) and Harry (Jeff Daniels) go on a road trip to find the daughter Harry's just found out he has. OK, that's fine, but what about the part where Harry has been living in a fake catatonic state for the last 20 years as a gag against his pal — any reason for that? Anybody think that's funny? Harry wiping his friend's ass for 20 years, thinking he's basically dead? Lloyd offering up two decades of his life to a mental institution while pretending he can't stand or talk? OK, let's put that one in the "sounded funny at the time" pile. Commitment to a gag, yes, commitment to a gag that undermines the rest of the film, also yes. Why does it undermine it? Because... how is this man suddenly back to "normal" immediately after revealing his gag? Also: never mind, who cares?

Ten minutes into the movie and my "not one laugh" hypothesis was still intact. Joke attempt, joke fail, repeat. Harry changing Lloyd's urine drainage bag, briefly holding it with his teeth. Stamped: NOT FUNNY. Harry violently tugging Lloyd's lodged catheter from his dick. Stamped: NOT FUNNY. Lloyd insisting that Harry might have actually taught his abandoned child some lessons on life, like filling her with wonder, and then cracking, "Like, 'I wonder who my deadbeat dad is.'" Not funny. Repeat.

There were a couple of "almost laughs." The movie almost got me at the 15-minute mark with a gag of Lloyd and Harry riding bikes while attached to the front of a bus, a funny visual which could have been a laugh if I had warmed to the proceedings in any way. Another near-miss came at the 20-minute mark, with Lloyd asking the mother of Harry's lost child, "Did you have a C-section, or were you able to have the baby au snatch-urel?" Again, not funny, but the goofy commitment of Carrey, unflagging since his days as Ace Ventura, started to mean something. But for every step forward, there were 10 back, a mean fat-joke or an offensive Chinese stereotype. Not only not funny, negative funny. So we're 20 minutes in and still no dice....

But before I go any further, let's flash back. When the original Dumb and Dumber came out in 1994, I was 13 years old, loved Jim Carrey, loved the movie, watched it a million times, quoted it to all my friends, etc. You know the drill. One of the great debates about movies is whether comedies you loved when you were 13 are actually funny, and there's no answer to that, nor should there be. But you gotta hand it to the Farelly brothers, their stylistic stasis is on point — the sequel's vibe is almost identical to that of its '90s counterpart. And so I imagine 13-year-old kids now might think this is funny. Except maybe not, because Carrey and Daniels are now guys are in their fifties, and 7th-graders don't think old people like their dads are funny or embarrassing when they try to be.

As I watched Dumb and Dumber To, though, something unexpected started to happen. Gradually, sometime after the excruciating setup, I stopped wincing at every line. And then, for some reason, a miracle: I began to be charmed by the over-the-top commitment of Carrey and Daniels being just as stupid as they were, not an ounce smarter. I began to see the fun they were having and stopped holding it against them. And then it really happened: sitting front row at the Pavilion Theater in Park Slope, Brooklyn, on Sunday, November 16th, 2014, watching Dumb and Dumber To at 11:55 a.m., I laughed at one of the jokes.

The laugh came at the 21-minute mark on a throwaway line that Lloyd offers to Harry after an early setback. Trying to convince his buddy that they've done all they can do in trying to find his daughter, he says something off-camera you might easily miss, a quote from legendary football coach Vince Lombardi, famous for never-say-die maxims such as, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." Except the quote is completely wrong as Lloyd tells it, attributing to the coach an attitude he would never have had. I was the only one in the theater who laughed. But they got me (and I have the proof on my iPhone audio-recording of the screening). I chuckled at the following line: "As Vince Lombardi used to say, 'You gotta know when to quit.'"

It wasn't long before more laughs came: a sight gag of the pair, lost, looking at an old road map on the hood of their car. Perfectly normal until a cut reveals they have stopped right in the middle of the highway, cars narrowly avoiding collisions on either side. And another: as Lloyd cracks a nut in an automatic window, he gives voice to the window: "I want your nuts, Harry." And after crushing on Harry's 20-year-old daughter, Lloyd is not interested in dating someone his own age: "My age? Gross."

Laughs led to more laughs and before I knew it, I was being entertained fairly regularly. After Harry loses his hearing because a firecracker explodes in the car, Lloyd lies his way into a nursing home to steal hearing aids from a random old person. Or later, when Harry and Lloyd show up a TED-like conference and Harry is mistaken for a tech genius and hustled onstage to judge a Young Inventors competition before the mistake is revealed, causing Lloyd to plead for his life, "Can't you kill somebody else?"

The thing I started to realize was that the film didn't feel desperate. This wasn't some begrudging cash-grab by either Carrey or Daniels. These guys wanted to be here doing this, and they showed admirable, unyielding enthusiasm for their ridiculous dick and shit jokes. They actually seemed determined to mine for laughs with the same wild abandon as in the original.

In the end, I laughed eight times out of a possible, let's say, 100 jokes. But I still liked Dumb and Dumber To because Carrey and Daniels seemed entirely committed. For a film so wide open to criticism, you gotta give its makers credit for not being tentative. I was impressed by how stupid it still was.

(edit)
still in grapevine lol

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

If you watch "Dumb & Dumber" today, 20 years later, and still find content in it that you find funny, and also stuff you think is just stupid and unfunny, then this is on par with that. I enjoyed it, not greatly, but Daniels and Carrey are pretty much the same performers, and at their age they can still be incredibly energetic doofs. I'm kind of impressed by Daniels' ability to go back in time after laying down such great drama in recent times. Otherwise, the movie doesn't profess to be anything more than dumb, so it exceeds in that.

i agree totally about jeff daniels. he is definitely very impressive here. carrey does shit like this pretty frequently, but if you take into consideration all the roles jeff daniels has had in the past ten years since dumb and dumber, his performance is even more remarkable.