pta & eighteen wheelers

Started by tpfkabi, June 01, 2003, 05:27:57 PM

tpfkabi

i believe an 18 wheeler drives past at the first of Hard Eight.
in the screen play of PDL at the end, there was to be an 18 wheeler drive past too.
and of course it makes appearances throughout PDL.

is there a significance to any of this / or have you come up with personal theories, etc about it?

it seems originally there was going to be more symbolism in PDL, with Barry waking up with different clothing, etc......and there's the harmonium.........hmmmmmmm?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

cowboykurtis

i was wondering the same thing the other day -- he seems to always have an 18 wheeler drive by in the background at moments of heightened emotions -- im pretty sure an 18 wheeler drives by when berry and lena are sitting on the bench -- i kept on wondering -- is this a coincidence that 18 wheelers pop up during what seem to be orchestrated scenarios -- he must plan for them -- i think its too big of a coincidence for him not to have planned them...
...your excuses are your own...

godardian

The trucks in PDL are Atlas moving trucks, no? I thought they were sort of a tangible signifier of the need for Barry to get out and move on... it goes with Lena plying him from his strict no-travel policy and lonely inwardness. I think it's a beautiful idea. If it's true and not just made up in my head.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Marty McSuperfly

In the restaurant Barry says to Lena: "Can we leave here now" (I'm paraphrasing) then they walk out hand-in-hand as the romantic music swells. The 18 wheeler drives past and the sign on it says: "Relocation at its best". Barry, Lena and the audience's sentiments exactly!

fulty

Quote from: Marty McSuperflythe audience's sentiments exactly!
Hey, that's funny..!!
( But then, sometimes I cry for no reason. )

As for the Atlas truck, here is what I think.
The first appearance, the truck thunders by and scares Barry.
Like he is overwhelmed by the problems of the world.

2nd, the truck slowly rounds a corner.
It is still huge, but demonstrating control.

3rd, it is reduced to shipping boxes.
Small and manageable.

I agree with the "moving-on" theme,
but I think it also means he is maturing and learning to handle problems.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

chainsmoking insomniac

Well put.  I'll buy it.  :-D
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

godardian

Quote from: Marty McSuperflyIn the restaurant Barry says to Lena: "Can we leave here now" (I'm paraphrasing) then they walk out hand-in-hand as the romantic music swells. The 18 wheeler drives past and the sign on it says: "Relocation at its best". Barry, Lena and the audience's sentiments exactly!

I can't wait for the DVD so I can study these details up close. I wasn't able to see PDL nearly as many times as I saw Magnolia upon its release (mostly because it came and went so quickly).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

The Silver Bullet

Maybe Anderson is just sexually attracted to trucks.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

BrainSushi

I bet it's always been his life-long dream to be a truck driver, and he's stuck in this movie directing business and can't get out to live the dream of the open road.

Or maybe the Silver Bullet is right. Sexually attracted to trucks. That'd be weird. That's like some kind of European fetish, isn't it? Really, really weird.

phil marlowe

Quote from: BrainSushiSexually attracted to trucks. That'd be weird. That's like some kind of European fetish, isn't it?
yes. second most commen after nude golfing i think.

godardian

Quote from: BrainSushi
Or maybe the Silver Bullet is right. Sexually attracted to trucks. That'd be weird. That's like some kind of European fetish, isn't it?

Except it's called a "lorrie fetish" there.