Some of what I'm listening to..

Started by pgr, March 24, 2003, 06:37:51 AM

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Sigur RósI'm not a big Stones fan though!

Why, you little...!

Sleuth

You want a thread for every band that is generally deemed great?
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Quote from: neatahwantaSo where is the thread about The Beatles?  The Stones?  The Who?  Old school Genesis?  The Allman Brothers?

You know, you could start those topics instead of complaining about nobody else starting them. But I think it's a given about the first three groups. The topic would start with: The Beatles - one of the best bands ever? And 20 other members are gonna reply, "Yes," "Agreed" or the like. Not really a discussion, if that's what you want. The only one who would be opposed would be Mr. Xixax, and we already know his view on The Beatles.

Quote from: neatahwantaIts sad.....if people think U2 is the great band, they are sadly mistaken.

Not the first time in my life, and certainly won't be the last.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: neatahwantaIts just fucking sad to see the level of musicianship out there today, but people still into it because its new.

I think you just hate it because it's not "rock music." Isn't it possible to have a new era of music? Hasn't new music happened before?

I think Blues Traveller is one of the worst bands ever, but does that make you wrong? Does that mean I should say "how dare you start a thread about Blues Traveler." I think you're closed-minded and over-pessimistic for shutting out new music, but does that mean I should say "how dare you dwell on classic rock"?

neatahwanta

lol...there is no hope w/ this bunch.  :?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: neatahwantalol...there is no hope w/ this bunch.  :?

Why don't you respond to my comments, and everyone's, in a constructive way that does not so closely resemble omniscient arrogance?

RegularKarate

I love Hendrix... Still listen to him... love the Stones.. still listen.

Sorry if I also prefer to listen to musicians who follow thier lead and continue to experiment and progress like Radiohead instead of shitty modern rock bands that lock themselves into just mimicking the sounds of the classics (Black Crowes, Blues Traveler, Lenny Kravitz).

Sigur Rós

Sound of the classics......Lenny Kravitz???? :evil:

RegularKarate

Quote from: Sigur RósSound of the classics......Lenny Kravitz???? :evil:

Yeah, sorry Lenny Kravitz is fucking lame.  His music is nothing new... just all rehashed potatoes.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: RegularKarateYeah, sorry Lenny Kravitz is fucking lame.  His music is nothing new... just all rehashed potatoes.

Like his house though! I really think he is more into nursing his body then making music! :-D

MacGuffin

Quote from: mogwaiI like Lenny's old shit between 1989 and 1993 or so. After dat he wicked out and hung wit guys in suits or sumthin'. He's whack but I really wish he goes back to the original stuff.

He would have to get back together with Lisa Bonet again...then break up -- again.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Raikus

Quote from: neatahwanta(yeah, where is the Nirvana appreciation thread??)

Most... overrated... band... ever.

Allow me to free this from my chest. Nirvana was a great band, sure. But they weren't classic. Their music wouldn't be played today if it weren't for tragedy. I know, I know, they brought on the Alternative Revolution. Well, so did Pearl Jam (another great band and one, I think, that was better than Nirvana), but how much play are they getting now-a-days?

If it weren't for Kurt's premature death, Nirvana would not be anywhere near as acclaimed as they are today. They would be held as highly as Sonic Youth.

Now, in the immortal words of the Human Torch: "Flame On!"
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Raikus

Most... overrated... band... ever.

Allow me to free this from my chest. Nirvana was a great band, sure. But they weren't classic. Their music wouldn't be played today if it weren't for tragedy. I know, I know, they brought on the Alternative Revolution. Well, so did Pearl Jam (another great band and one, I think, that was better than Nirvana), but how much play are they getting now-a-days?

If it weren't for Kurt's premature death, Nirvana would not be anywhere near as acclaimed as they are today. They would be held as highly as Sonic Youth.

Now, in the immortal words of the Human Torch: "Flame On!"

Most ignorant comment ever.

Nirvana was a great band and was far better than Pearl Jam, who sold out first to get poplular then released shit albums to put on the facade of an "artisic band" (granted, they've made some good music in the past).

The reason so many people mourned the death of Kurt Cobain was because Nirvana was such a great band.  And undeniably classic.  I don't know what you're talking about with the no play comment, from the few albums they put out, I hear more of thier songs on the radio than Pearl Jam (and Pearl Jam is still puttin' em out).  Once the unreleased single was finally released, they played it non-stop last year.

As far as them only being as recognized as Sonic Youth if Cobain hadn't died, you should know that's hogwash... Sonic Youth was NEVER as popular as Nirvana and there are plenty of people who have never even heard of Sonic Youth.

Look at the Foo Fighters... they've been crankin out popular music for quite some time, that right there should show that if Nirvana were still around, they would still be popular.  I know that I would still buy Nirvana albums if they were still makin' them.

Raikus

It's obvious you and I disagree (and the sky is blue, evidently), but Nirvana would have burned out or broken up years ago if Cobain had lived.

And I love the Foo Fighters, but there's no way they are a reflection of what Nirvana would have been. That's Grohl. And Grohl's proven he is a mastermind when it comes to creating bands.

I still think Nirvana as a whole was overrated. Still are. And that's an opinion (which inherently can't be ignorant if it's founded on knowledge). Take it or leave it.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

RegularKarate

That's fine that we disagree...  the ignorant comment comment (need more words) wasn't in reference to the most overrated band ever (though you should probably admit that there are far more overrated artists out there... Celine Dion draws a very large crowd)  it was in reference to you saying that Nirvana wouldn't be acclaimed if Cobain hadn't died.  When Cobain died, they were at the peak of popularity, they didn't need that fact to go down into history, there had already been plenty of books written about them and had already been listed as decade's best band by a lot of magazines.

anyway, you're right... we just disagree on this, just wanted to clarify my use of the word "ignorant"