Django Unchained

Started by MacGuffin, March 27, 2011, 10:14:40 PM

socketlevel

I'm about 40 pages in and it's not remotely controversial. It's really preaching to the converted. I hate how people consider this kind of thing controversial... it's pretty great/fun so far, and i dig it, but controversial is something like Happiness or pointing your finger at something politically correct. Anyone that finds this controversial is themselves racist and living in the wrong era.

the most controversial moment in inglorious basterds was when the one German soldier proudly doesn't give any information and he is killed by the bear Jew. in that moment you can tell tarantino was making a point that these men had honor to them. I'm waiting for a moment like this in the script. all the blacks are amazing people, and the majority of the whites are total racists. both sides being two dimensional.  which is fine, and fun. but a slave driver that loves a black woman/man or a black slave who helps in some way or another his slave master would be far more controversial.
the one last hit that spent you...

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: modage on May 05, 2011, 12:51:00 PM
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/we_read_it_casting_quentin_tarantinos_slavery_epic_django_unchained/

From that article:  "the Basil Rathbone of house niggers."

Why put quotes around it when it's not a direct quote from the script?  Who is the author quoting?

"Who's STEPHEN?  Stephen is a very old black man, who with his bald pate, and tufts of white curly hair on the sides, looks like a character out of Dickens - if Dickens wrote about House Niggers in the Antebellum South.

Stephen has been Calvin's slave since he was a little boy.  And in (almost) every way is the 2nd most powerful person at Candyland. Like the characters Basil Rathbone would play in swashbucklers, evil, scheming, intriguing men, always trying to influence and manipulate power for their own self interest.  Well that describes Stephen to a tee."

Typos abound in that article, which they should really work on if they want to separate themselves from other glorified fanboy news sites.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

socketlevel

well there you go, i posted too soon :)

looking forward to the past 40 page mark.

Michael K Williams would be sweet.

Jeremy Blackman

Jonah Hill, Danny McBride, and Chris Tucker? WHAT THE CRAP? No, no, a thousand times no. Is this a list of people who should be kept out of the movie at all costs?

Thank God modage didn't write this article.

socketlevel

agreed. I'd like it if he goes real with this script and none of this flashy form shit. From what i've read of the material, it could go both ways...

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: socketlevel on May 05, 2011, 02:00:02 PM
agreed. I'd like it if he goes real with this script and none of this flashy form shit. From what i've read of the material, it could go both ways...
Yeah, but this is Tarantino.....

I can't imagine him picking a total unknown for Django: how many times has he done that? He'll more than likely pick someone who needs a career boost, or an actor we're unaccustomed to seeing in a role like this, like Marlon Wayans, or one of his (biological) brothers.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

cinemanarchist

My assholeness knows no bounds.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Hell yeah.  Then Django could have alter-egos!
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

pete

someone email me a copy so I can put down the inner hater in me?
or make him grow tall. whichever.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Reel

Yeah. I lost my copy, but I think it's for the best. I read enuff into it to know that it's badass and be totally stoked  :)

Pubrick

he should cast Lexington Steele.

and at some point in the film he should have lex whip a white man half to death with his huge dick.

under the paving stones.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: Pubrick on May 06, 2011, 04:45:47 AM
he should cast Lexington Steele.

and at some point in the film he should have lex whip a white man half to death with his huge dick.

Typically there isn't that type of surprise when I Google image search an actor's name.  But I do see what you mean about the huge dick.

P Heat

This shouldn't be the only thread active in here :yabbse-sad:

I have my doubts that this new film from QT will be good after him doing Basterds... hopefully it turns out good, using some sergio leone references like in kill bill and the beginning of basterds (only good part imo)

*just read the first 10 pages. TONS of sergio leone stuff in there lol, a little bit of everything. Good stuff. Don't see anything of the south and blacks so far. I see its not the entire script though.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P