The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: CloudAuteur on August 12, 2012, 03:43:23 PM
P where did you read about that? I've never heard about him "hitting a wall". Makes way too much sense.

Considering Renner's performance in Mission: Impossible 3, it seems entirely plausible.

malkovich

Considering Renner's performance in Mission: Impossible 3, it seems entirely plausible.

hiyoooo.com

InTylerWeTrust

I would've payed infinite amounts of money to see THIS GUY play Freddie:

:bravo:
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

MacGuffin

Details Revealed for Release of Jonny Greenwood's Score for Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master
Source: Pitchfork

Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood's score for The Master, the upcoming film from Paul Thomas Anderson, will be released September 11 through Nonesuch Records. In addition to 11 new pieces  from Greenwood (six performed by the London Contemporary Orchestra), the soundtrack album also features World War II-era music by Ella Fitzgerald, Jo Stafford, and more.

Greenwood also composed the score for Anderson's Oscar-winning film There Will Be Blood. The film is in theaters September 14 and features Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams, and Laura Dern.

Pre-orders made at the Nonesuch site will get an instant download of Greenwood's piece "Application 45 Version 1".

The Master:

01 Overtones
02 Time Hole
03 Back Beyond
04 Get Thee Behind Me Satan (Ella Fitzgerald)
05 Alethia
06 Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree (With Anyone Else but Me) (Madisen Beaty)
07 Atomic Healer
08 Able-Bodied Seamen
09 The Split Saber
10 Baton Sparks
11. No Other Love (Jo Stafford)
12 His Master's Voice
13 Application 45 Version 1
14 Changing Partners (Helen Forrest)
15 Sweetness of Freddie

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

InTylerWeTrust

"10. Baton Sparks"

??? 

So... Does this mean Greenwood gets disqualified for the Oscars again?...

Sidenote:  FUCK THE OSCARS.

Sleepless

Very interesting that the art work is just of PSH. Everything we've seen so far has put him and JP on more-or-less equal footing (or even more emphasis on JP's character). I mean, I know it's called the Master and everything, but this artwork seems to suggest that PSH's character is really much more of a dominant force throughout the movie than Freddy.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Kellen

The soundtrack cover is beautiful.

InTylerWeTrust

http://bootysnatchers.tumblr.com/post/29420231734

^ Track number 1 of the soundtrack.... Sounds There will be blood-ish.  Scary as fuck.

You can download it right there..

CREDIT: Anonymous commenter posted the link at Cigsandredvines.

Robyn

I will try to stay away from spoilers from now on.

So, I won't listen to that track. Even if it's probably amazing.

DocSportello

Hey guys. Anyone thinking about hitting up TIFF? I'm seriously considering trying to get tickets for The Master but have never attended a major film festival so I don't really know how it works. What are the chances of a regular Joe like myself getting tickets? Would buying a TIFF membership off their website help? Anything you guys can tell me? Thanks Xi-bros.

BB

Quote from: DocSportello on August 15, 2012, 06:40:40 AM
Hey guys. Anyone thinking about hitting up TIFF? I'm seriously considering trying to get tickets for The Master but have never attended a major film festival so I don't really know how it works. What are the chances of a regular Joe like myself getting tickets? Would buying a TIFF membership off their website help? Anything you guys can tell me? Thanks Xi-bros.

I think the availability of tickets for something like The Master is going to be largely dependent on how many screenings they hold. If they screen it a few times, which is not uncommon for TIFF, you stand a good chance of getting in to see one of the later ones. The premiere will be almost impossible to get into. You can try, but tickets will go very, very quickly and line-ups for rush tickets (if any remain) will be HUGE. To give you some idea, the rush line last year for the third or fourth screening of Ron Fricke's Samsara (so, while not obscure, nothing nearly so high profile as The Master) was something like three hundred people long.

I don't mean to discourage you. You can chance in to all kinds of awesome screenings. That's the beauty of film festivals, and TIFF is especially generous to the general public (relative to what I've heard about Cannes and Venice, etc). It's up to you whether you'd want to buy a pass for the festival, which is expensive but guarantees that you will see a lot of movies, or if you want to buy tickets to individual screenings. They should be posting a schedule soon if they haven't already. You can either call or purchase the tickets/passes online. You could also try to go by rush tickets. You will wait in many lines and you may not get in to things, but I've done it in the past with reasonable success. It is by far the cheapest option.

I don't want to jinx myself, but it looks like this year I might be given a VIP pass for the festival, which would enable me to get into any screening so long as I show up before rush tickets are sold. I would also get to attend the TIFF gala and rub elbows with Ben Affleck and such. Sorry for the sort-of brag. I'm not an important person, let alone a very important person. Just incredibly lucky. 

P Heat

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 13, 2012, 05:33:16 PM
I would've payed infinite amounts of money to see THIS GUY play Freddie:

:bravo:

I was JUST THINKING  about Cage being able to fit that role before I came here. Herzog even said he got great acting from him.

ALSO the cover art for "The Master" soundtrack is WAYYYYY cooler than the movie poster if you ask me, it should of been the other way around. For  @CloudAuteur, that news of Renner is old and was posted in cigs&vines a while ago as well as other places. look around an see if you can find it. Now that I remember, it was from an interview he did and was his quote.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

theyarelegion

Quote from: P Heat on August 15, 2012, 02:40:38 PM
ALSO the cover art for "The Master" soundtrack is WAYYYYY cooler than the movie poster if you ask me, it should of been the other way around.

The same could be said for There Will Be Blood...

Cloudy

^That's beautiful. I think I'll buy it.

Side-note: Has anyone ever thought of how much pressure PTA has on himself, this being his first film after TWBB? I wonder how he handles it.

Champion Souza