The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Reel

Quote from: Brando on May 22, 2012, 01:09:02 AM
I thought he was good in Two Lovers but it was still his kind of melancholy acting.

I love that movie, but I think it's more to James Gray's credit than anything Joaquin is doing. Doesn't he look like he just plain stinks in that interrogation room scene, whatever you wanna call it? Without getting too spoilerful, seems whatever he's been getting into is killing him and making him delusional. The only visual example I can think of to compare how he looks is the piss drinking woman from my strange addiction, the caption on this pic perhaps giving a lil hint to what Freddy has been up to.

P Heat

Quote from: ono on May 21, 2012, 08:31:20 PM
Okay, just so we're clear now.  His name is Freddie Sutton Quell Crock.

I love the colors of the melons, juxtaposed with the melons of the sandcastle nipples Freddie tweaks.  There are so many decisions a filmmaker makes, and what astonishes me is how he somehow always manages to make the right ones.

What melons are you talking about??  I only see coconuts when he is sharpening that machete.  I see no sandcastle at all in that fish eye shot.???
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

malkovich

I think he means the coconuts, and the sandcastle nipples aren't in the fisheye shot, but right before it. starts at 0:23

Alexandro

I liked phoenix a lot in to die for, all his james gray films (two lovers specially), u turn, gladiator, quills, signs, the village, walk the line and yes I liked I'm Still Here. The movies weren't perfect but he was great in all of them.

ElPandaRoyal

The other day I was watching Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, and thinking "it's a shame Elswit did not shoot The Master". Now I see this teaser and I'm like "Robert who?"

Also, I'm with Alexandro. Phoenix is great in all of those movies he mentioned. He's one of the best actors out there, no doubt about it.
Si

Reel

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on May 22, 2012, 05:25:15 AM
The other day I was watching Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, and thinking "it's a shame Elswit did not shoot The Master". Now I see this teaser and I'm like "Robert who?"

That's the same I've been thinking about Renner

ono

Quote from: malkovich on May 22, 2012, 02:03:33 AM
I think he means the coconuts, and the sandcastle nipples aren't in the fisheye shot, but right before it. starts at 0:23
Yeah, I misspoke.  Used to coconuts looking the stereotypical fluffy brown and wasn't sure what those were.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Reelist on May 22, 2012, 10:15:54 AM
Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on May 22, 2012, 05:25:15 AM

That's the same I've been thinking about Renner

Yes, but in that case, considering I'm a fan of Phoenix, I was OK with it from the start. Can't say I absolutely love the work of Mihai Malaimare Jr. until now though, mainly because I can't even pronounce his name.
Si

Just Withnail

Quote from: ono on May 22, 2012, 12:21:24 PM
Quote from: malkovich on May 22, 2012, 02:03:33 AM
Yeah, I misspoke.  Used to coconuts looking the stereotypical fluffy brown and wasn't sure what those were.

PTA: redefining our conceptions of coconuts since 2012.

72teeth

NEWSish:

So PTA screened it for Cruise

and, "Cruise "had issues" with some parts of the movie"
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I promised myself I'd only watch ONE trailer for this movie, and this is it!
Probably going to kill that promise by the time the next one shows up, but hoping to go into this with very little in terms of expectations.
Hell, even this TEASER was great.
Can't say I'm always down with Greenwood's music alone, but as a characteristic of the film, seems to work it's magic quite well.

P Heat

I'm gonna take a nap, and then watch the teaser for the 8th time. who else has been doing this? I hope i wake up to new news as well. best feeling ever.....

forever alone.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: 72teeth on May 22, 2012, 03:34:30 PM
NEWSish:

So much for avoiding the Scientology parallels. I'd like to know what Pubrick thinks about this.

I hope to God the film is not edited to "avoid conflict" with Scientology. We have no reason to think it will be, right?

Maybe this is just a friendly gesture to disarm them and avoid conflict, not to actually use their feedback. In which case it could be genius.

Brando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 22, 2012, 04:33:36 PM
Quote from: 72teeth on May 22, 2012, 03:34:30 PM
NEWSish:

So much for avoiding the Scientology parallels. I'd like to know what Pubrick thinks about this.

I hope to God the film is not edited to "avoid conflict" with Scientology. We have no reason to think it will be, right?

Maybe this is just a friendly gesture to disarm them and avoid conflict, not to actually use their feedback. In which case it could be genius.

It has to be the latter. It seems to me the last group you want to have influence over your work would be the Scientologist.  They seem to be the give them an inch and they'll take a yard kind of group.  Also, I'm sure he would never do a film he didn't have final cut on so he wouldn't do this movie with an idea of handing over final cut to an outside group.  Finally, who would rather piss off? scientologist or the PTA fan boys? Sure the latter will raise hell over PTA being forced to edit his newest film.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on May 22, 2012, 02:36:11 PM
Can't say I absolutely love the work of Mihai Malaimare Jr. until now though, mainly because I can't even pronounce his name.

In my head I've been pronouncing it:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks