The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

john

Quote from: P Heat on June 01, 2011, 03:25:03 PM
Best news that P.T's untitled project has had so far than getting financed is that Witherspoon WILL NOT be in it.

I would've been fine with Witherspoon in this. She's already proven she can deliver serviceable performances under competent direction (Freeway, Election)

Plus, everybody knows PTA can mine relatively unremarkable actors for the best performances of their careers (Thomas Jane, Heather Graham, Gwyneth Paltrow)

I'm not disappointed about Witherspoon's absence, but it would have been interesting to see what comes of it. So the same sentiment can be applied to Amy Adams. She may have previously only worked in two modes, like Sleepless suggests, but I have no doubt PTA can push her to some next level shit.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Jeremy Blackman

It's not that Witherspoon is a horrible actress, it's that she's too particular.

Kind of like Will Smith as Django.

RegularKarate

Quote from: matt35mm on June 01, 2011, 04:33:40 PM
I wish I had friends.

Oh shit, are you and Malick already fighting?

modage

He tried to wash his rat hand and Malick wasn't pleased.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

He didn't even hesitate. He just turned around and whupped me, in true Texas style. He was so Texas.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Paul Dano aside, PT has a knack not only for casting great actors, but for casting actors in the right roles.  So he probably sees something in Amy Adams that will expand the character she's being cast for.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

theyarelegion

Quote from: matt35mm on June 01, 2011, 05:40:11 PM
He didn't even hesitate. He just turned around and whupped me, in true Texas style. He was so Texas.

He was so Texas! You can't make off-handed comments about Mrs. Malick...

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: Merrill Errol Lehrl on June 01, 2011, 06:15:13 PM
Paul Dano aside, PT has a knack not only for casting great actors, but for casting actors in the right roles.

I think, in a weird way, Dano was good in his role, but the story had much more play in Daniel's world than his. Enough about that though, blah.

After seeing Heather Graham in a slew of movies before and after "Boogie Nights", where I was first introduced to her, I must say PTA pulled a miracle out by making her seem angry enough to actually break a mofo's face with her skates.  So yeah, PTA know's what's up with Amy Adams.

With PTA's ability to make comedic actors cross over to drama (Sandler, Robert Ridgely) and cast them in bit parts (Patton Oswalt, Paul F. Thompkins), I wonder what he'd be able to do with Jon Krasinski or Donald Glover. (maybe bupkis, I just happen to like them both).

polkablues

You don't have to qualify it with "in a weird way".  Dano was good in his role. 
My house, my rules, my coffee

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Put him aside to avoid the conversation.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Kellen

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

YES!!!!!!!

Rami Malek was my favorite part of "The Pacific"

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

Isn't it somewhat remarkable that so many high-profile actors are willing to do an ostensibly anti-Scientology movie?