The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Derek

www.deadline.com/2010/10/qa-social-networks-mike-de-luca/

Interview with De Luca. He discusses the New Line years and briefly touches on The Master. Probably should have gone in The Social Network thread but I put it here.

DNY: What does it say when Anderson's The Master is having such a hard time getting off the ground?

De Luca: I think he has the financing. He's just going through his own creative process, asking himself, 'Is this what I want to make,' and is it ready to be made? That's just what he does.

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

SiliasRuby

or "Do I want to start a war with Scientology and end a beautiful friendship with Tom"
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

Fuck it. Metal Gear Solid. It can go head 2 head with Aronofsky's Origins: Wolverine 2.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: Derek on October 13, 2010, 09:58:36 PM
De Luca: I think he has the financing. He's just going through his own creative process, asking himself, 'Is this what I want to make,' and is it ready to be made? That's just what he does.

that doesn't surprise me and i think that was pretty much what was implied from what we already knew when it was called off.

basically he does this same thing EVERY time he starts a new film these days:

- Magnolia.. probably the first instance of this behaviour, in that case it was dixon and the worm character with unfortunately no time to recast, wasted days of shooting and abandoned an entire subplot.
- PDL.. abandoned first few days of shooting for unknown reasons, recasting was not necessary but from what i understand he did have to rethink the film somehow.
- CMBB.. realised early on in production that the kid hired to play Eli was no good, quick recasting solved the issue but again there were wasted days of filming.
- now Masty.. either renner isn't working out or the way he's thinking about the film needs to change. if he doesn't want to repeat himself (a major concern judging from the huge leap he took with CM), he really is giving himself a lot to think about. at least it seems that this time he did it during the reherasal period and not once filming had started.

dude has always had trouble getting started.
under the paving stones.

socketlevel

Quote from: P on October 14, 2010, 02:02:37 AM

- Magnolia.. probably the first instance of this behaviour, in that case it was dixon and the worm character with unfortunately no time to recast, wasted days of shooting and abandoned an entire subplot.

Can you elaborate or link your sources for me, be it in the site or external. i've often wondered why this didn't make it in the film. i know in the video diaries the day they shot the scene in the diner (with the gun) that didn't make it into the film he was stressed out, but beyond that i've never known exactly the story behind this sub-plot being 90% removed.
the one last hit that spent you...

Alexandro

Quote from: P on October 14, 2010, 02:02:37 AM
Quote from: Derek on October 13, 2010, 09:58:36 PM

that doesn't surprise me and i think that was pretty much what was implied from what we already knew when it was called off.

basically he does this same thing EVERY time he starts a new film these days:

- PDL.. abandoned first few days of shooting for unknown reasons, recasting was not necessary but from what i understand he did have to rethink the film somehow.
- CMBB.. realised early on in production that the kid hired to play Eli was no good, quick recasting solved the issue but again there were wasted days of filming.
- now Masty.. either renner isn't working out or the way he's thinking about the film needs to change. if he doesn't want to repeat himself (a major concern judging from the huge leap he took with CM), he really is giving himself a lot to think about. at least it seems that this time he did it during the reherasal period and not once filming had started.

dude has always had trouble getting started.

well, it is comforting to know he's still learning the basics.

elliottsmith001

The status of The Master on imdb has been changed from in production to pre-production, maybe it means nothing but I'm excited to see that so I thought I'd say so here:)

SiliasRuby

The Elliot Smith Who didn't kill himself and had his first post on here gave my hopes up.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Derek

Kind of non-update from The Playlist regarding Renner's upcoming projects:

What about Paul Thomas Anderson's untitled Scientology film starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman, the film he allegedly passed on "Battleship" to make, but it couldn't get off the ground this summer (though Renner's own comments earlier this fall suggest that PTA tabled and or delayed the film under his own volition). "He's swimming out there somewhere, probably typing behind a computer," Renner said, not conceding too much, but clearly in awe of the director's talents. "That guy is genius. If he was directing the phone book I'd be in it." Well, at least that sounds optimistic. Those are two projects we're dying to see come to the screen, so here's hoping.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/debunked_jeremy_renner_says_escape_from_new_york_reboot_rumors_are_untrue
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

ono

I'd watch The Phone Book.  Greenaway would make a hell of a movie outta that one, too, come to think of it.

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM
Anderson, Hoffman at Altar on Religion Pic
By: Mike Fleming, Variety

"There Will Be Blood" writer/director Paul Thomas Anderson has found religion, and Philip Seymour Hoffman, for his next film.

Anderson has written an untitled period drama that is set up at Universal. Hoffman, who has played supporting roles in most of Anderson's past films, would this time be the centerpiece.

Hoffman will play "The Master," as in "master of ceremonies," a charismatic intellectual who hatches a faith-based organization that begins to catch on in America in 1952.

The core is the relationship between The Master and Freddie, a twenty-something drifter who becomes the leader's lieutenant. As the faith begins to gain a fervent following, Freddie finds himself questioning the belief system he has embraced, and his mentor.

Anderson's treatment of religion was cynical in "There Will Be Blood." Here, the scrutiny isn't specifically directed toward faith-based movements like Scientology or Mormonism that are newcomers compared to established religions. Anderson explores the need to believe in a higher power, the choice of which to embrace, and the point at which a belief system graduates into a religion. . 

Universal, which has become very selective about green lighting adult dramas, won't make a decision on Anderson's $35 million budget pic until he delivers his finished script. His hope is to make the picture next year, sources said.

Anderson's frequent collaborator, JoAnne Sellar, is the producer. 

Hoffman made his breakthrough in the cast of Anderson's "Boogie Nights," and has also appeared in the Anderson-directed "Hard Eight," "Punch-Drunk Love" and "Magnolia."

Neither the studio nor reps for Anderson or Hoffman would comment.

Over a year ago since we got this news.  Isn't it sad that we don't seem to be any closer to seeing the film?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reel

Quote from: Variety on January 06, 2011, 08:57:36 AM
Universal, which has become very selective about green lighting adult dramas, won't make a decision on Anderson's $35 million budget pic until he delivers his finished script.

john

"Paul Thomas Anderson's Scientolgy Movie and Inherent Vice Adaptation Close to Finding Financing"

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/02/paul_thomas_anderson.html
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Stefen

How great would it be if we got two new PTA films instead of just one?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.