The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Kellen

I think i have to with Emma Stone on this one.  I have complete faith though in whatever Paul does.

And does the playlist have some kind of pt news hotline they're in contact with.  It seems like they're always the one with news/breaking a story.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Emma Stone will absolutely need this to recover from Paper Man.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Robyn

Quote from: // w ø l r å s on June 01, 2010, 02:31:19 PM

No no no, she just needs to get naked on screen.

Pas

Quote from: KarlJan on June 02, 2010, 01:17:05 AM
Quote from: // w ø l r å s on June 01, 2010, 02:31:19 PM

No no no, she just needs to get naked on screen.

Don't make it weird! We were all trying to be tame and bon enfant.

I hope PTA is not a lurker anymore (was that rumor ever true?) or else you might've jinxed the whole thing.

Reel

Quote from: Pas on June 02, 2010, 07:06:58 AM
I hope PTA is not a lurker anymore (was that rumor ever true?) or else you might've jinxed the whole thing.

No it was never true. Get a hold of yourself

Pas

Quote from: Reelist on June 02, 2010, 04:10:03 PM
Quote from: Pas on June 02, 2010, 07:06:58 AM

No it was never true. Get a hold of yourself

It happened though. I think. Did it?

Champion Souza

Pozer

Champion Souza saves page 26

Kellen

VIA: SLASHFILM
Jeremy Renner in Final Negotiations to Join The Avengers; What About His Role in Paul Thomas Anderson's Next Film?
Posted on Thursday, June 3rd, 2010 by Russ Fischer

Man, the past twenty-four hours have been all Marvel, all the time. From Captain America and Thor concept art to more Cap casting and now this confirmation of a rumor that started around Thanksgiving of last year: Jeremy Renner is close to signing a deal to appear in The Avengers as the hero Hawkeye.
This came up last November, when Renner mentioned that he'd talked to Marvel about the part. ("Hawkeye could be interesting. They're going to send me some stuff on it, see what it is.") But he quickly backed away from the idea, and later said the movie was too far off to really consider.
Now there's a director (Joss Whedon) and things are moving into pre-production, so evidently that is enough. THR says this won't be a cash cow, however — to keep costs down, everyone is taking a pay cut.
But there's a shadow of bad news. Renner has recently seemed like a lock to play the second male lead in Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master, but in the wake of Universal passing on the film, it appears that financing isn't coming together. THR says "while he still has definite interest in Anderson's film, that project is still cobbling financing and has seen its start pushed back several times."

Read more: Jeremy Renner in Final Negotiations to Join The Avengers; What About His Role in Paul Thomas Anderson's Next Film? | /Film http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/06/03/jeremy-renner-avengers-paul-thomas-andersons-master/#ixzz0pr0ZpL9R

Pubrick

i really don't give a shit about Renner, if he's gone then good for him, he's making smart choices by cashing in on his recent clout, and he definitely can't be blamed for it - he waited decades for a break like this. in fact the whole cast could change and it would only be par for the course with PTA and his films. see: beatty/reynolds; leo/wahlberg; and i'm not sure but i think jason robards wasn't his first choice in maggie; penn/PSH; some newb actor who couldn't handle the pressure/Dano. so this is totally expected.

the real news to me is that PTA is having financing problems on the film. this is a huge problem that he will have to face the rest of his life unless he starts making HITS every now and then. i don't think anyone will get the kubrick or eastwood or spielberg treatment anymore and get carte blanche for whatever idea they get. but if PTA is going to live up to his destiny, and he MUST, he needs to either start coming up with films that are within reasonable budget limits, or do a soderbergh, or somehow hope that a studio will recognize his kubrickality and give him financial backing for the rest of his life.

kubrick of course had to make some massive changes to his shooting methods in order to keep things in budget and to allow himself more TIME to get things right. PTA himself said that when he was at the EWS set he couldn't believe how wasteful his own process is compared to a set where the gaffer does his thing and goes home.. the point is maybe the game is tougher nowadays (and with the focus on franchises and blockbusters this is probably true), and maybe even if he makes the next avatar that won't be a guarrantee that he will have security for his future films -- but something has to happen cos he will never live up to his potential if every movie gets delayed cos he's struggling for an extra few million.

i think part of his problem is he's too in love with america to ever want to set up base anywhere other than LA or NYC. kubrick found it to be the case that those were the only places he could live in the US and still be within reach of the resources he needed to make his films -- this was in the early 60s -- so he made his big move like the logical man he was and set up a new home near a good english studio with solid crews and saved himself HEAPS of money. this single thing probably guarranteed his financial security more than sending the gaffer home at lunchtime. and even that couldn't save him from the long arm of hollywood when the failure of Waterloo affected his own financing of Napoleon.

PTA needs to consider doing something similar. there are now many more hubs all over the world where an established director could set up a good english-speaking base. it's a tough choice but if he stays in LA he's never going to get the financial freedom that comes with international incentives.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

PTA just could extend himself into more of a producer label and try to support more commercial projects that are within the range of his personality. It's the second option for "auteur" filmmakers who want to keep their films as their films, but a certain clout has to be established within the business to become a workable producer. Still, for some films, a producer could mean as much as him handing over his name. It also could mean him overseeing a lot more, but it could get good financial work. David Gordon Green is making some fine comedies for his style. PTA could easily support these kind of films and not have to direct them. He could help with producing, writing and other things and it's an easy way to promote unknown talent into decent stars. It could give his producing company some credit with studios to help finance his own personal projects.

modage

I don't get how one role affects the other.  They're just now or not even filming Thor and Captain America so the Avengers movie certainly isn't going to shoot this summer or fall, which is when PTA's movie is going to shoot so what the hell are they talking about?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Derek

I think George C. Scott was offered the part of Earl somewhere in the process, but he didn't like the swearing.

I agree with P's point about needing to make hits. I just wonder if its within his desire or abilities to make a hit. If he could have a project that was in sync with his sensibilites (similar to Scorsese and Cape Fear) with a commercial bent, I think he should pursue it. There Will Be Blood was a victim of waiting for the money to come together (among other things) as well.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Ghostboy

Universal passed on the project ages ago. Last I heard it's being financed by whoever the rich dude who financed Tree Of Life is.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee