Author Topic: The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread  (Read 289729 times)

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1376
Re: The Master
« Reply #1065 on: May 22, 2012, 01:13:05 AM »
I had never really respected Joaquin Phoenix as an actor until just now.

I feel the same way. I only really remember him from U-Turn, and that was great, but this is just on another level.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

md

• The Ultimate Boon
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #1066 on: May 22, 2012, 01:14:35 AM »
he's good in parenthood...
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Reelist

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +1009
« Reply #1067 on: May 22, 2012, 01:33:20 AM »
I thought he was good in Two Lovers but it was still his kind of melancholy acting.

I love that movie, but I think it's more to James Gray's credit than anything Joaquin is doing. Doesn't he look like he just plain stinks in that interrogation room scene, whatever you wanna call it? Without getting too spoilerful, seems whatever he's been getting into is killing him and making him delusional. The only visual example I can think of to compare how he looks is the piss drinking woman from my strange addiction, the caption on this pic perhaps giving a lil hint to what Freddy has been up to.

You can go to places in the world with pudding. That. Is. Funny.

P Heat

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #1068 on: May 22, 2012, 01:41:15 AM »
Okay, just so we're clear now.  His name is Freddie Sutton Quell Crock.

I love the colors of the melons, juxtaposed with the melons of the sandcastle nipples Freddie tweaks.  There are so many decisions a filmmaker makes, and what astonishes me is how he somehow always manages to make the right ones.

What melons are you talking about??  I only see coconuts when he is sharpening that machete.  I see no sandcastle at all in that fish eye shot.???
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
  :P

malkovich

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +21
    • meetmeinmalkovich
« Reply #1069 on: May 22, 2012, 02:03:33 AM »
I think he means the coconuts, and the sandcastle nipples aren't in the fisheye shot, but right before it. starts at 0:23

Alexandro

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +474
« Reply #1070 on: May 22, 2012, 02:54:33 AM »
I liked phoenix a lot in to die for, all his james gray films (two lovers specially), u turn, gladiator, quills, signs, the village, walk the line and yes I liked I'm Still Here. The movies weren't perfect but he was great in all of them.

ElPandaRoyal

• Respect: +109
« Reply #1071 on: May 22, 2012, 05:25:15 AM »
The other day I was watching Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, and thinking "it's a shame Elswit did not shoot The Master". Now I see this teaser and I'm like "Robert who?"

Also, I'm with Alexandro. Phoenix is great in all of those movies he mentioned. He's one of the best actors out there, no doubt about it.
Si

Reelist

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +1009
« Reply #1072 on: May 22, 2012, 10:15:54 AM »
The other day I was watching Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, and thinking "it's a shame Elswit did not shoot The Master". Now I see this teaser and I'm like "Robert who?"

That's the same I've been thinking about Renner
You can go to places in the world with pudding. That. Is. Funny.

ono

• Respect: +219
« Reply #1073 on: May 22, 2012, 12:21:24 PM »
I think he means the coconuts, and the sandcastle nipples aren't in the fisheye shot, but right before it. starts at 0:23
Yeah, I misspoke.  Used to coconuts looking the stereotypical fluffy brown and wasn't sure what those were.

ElPandaRoyal

« Reply #1074 on: May 22, 2012, 02:36:11 PM »

That's the same I've been thinking about Renner

Yes, but in that case, considering I'm a fan of Phoenix, I was OK with it from the start. Can't say I absolutely love the work of Mihai Malaimare Jr. until now though, mainly because I can't even pronounce his name.
Si

Just Withnail

• Respect: +478
    • Truls Krane Meby's website
« Reply #1075 on: May 22, 2012, 03:11:48 PM »
Yeah, I misspoke.  Used to coconuts looking the stereotypical fluffy brown and wasn't sure what those were.

PTA: redefining our conceptions of coconuts since 2012.

72teeth

• noble creature...
« Reply #1076 on: May 22, 2012, 03:34:30 PM »
NEWSish:

So PTA screened it for Cruise

and, "Cruise “had issues” with some parts of the movie"
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

• The Ultimate Boon
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #1077 on: May 22, 2012, 04:15:56 PM »
I promised myself I'd only watch ONE trailer for this movie, and this is it!
Probably going to kill that promise by the time the next one shows up, but hoping to go into this with very little in terms of expectations.
Hell, even this TEASER was great.
Can't say I'm always down with Greenwood's music alone, but as a characteristic of the film, seems to work it's magic quite well.

P Heat

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #1078 on: May 22, 2012, 04:27:18 PM »
I'm gonna take a nap, and then watch the teaser for the 8th time. who else has been doing this? I hope i wake up to new news as well. best feeling ever.....

forever alone.
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
  :P

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1376
« Reply #1079 on: May 22, 2012, 04:33:36 PM »
NEWSish:

So PTA screened it for Cruise

and, "Cruise “had issues” with some parts of the movie"

So much for avoiding the Scientology parallels. I'd like to know what Pubrick thinks about this.

I hope to God the film is not edited to "avoid conflict" with Scientology. We have no reason to think it will be, right?

Maybe this is just a friendly gesture to disarm them and avoid conflict, not to actually use their feedback. In which case it could be genius.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy