orgy chant discussion

Started by mutinyco, July 12, 2003, 01:55:48 PM

mutinyco

Am I the only person who finds it amusing that Kubrick, dead for 4 years, has the second number of posts only to PTA?
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Ghostboy

I don't really see anything amusing about it. His films are good and provocative enough to warrant continued discussion. The only thing PTA gets that Kubrick doesn't is "next project" musings.

mutinyco

That wasn't a knock on Kubrick. It was a compliment. My point was that because he's not making anymore films you'd think he wouldn't be as relevant. Just goes to show he built 'em to last...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

bonanzataz

it makes me feel like shit when i realize i've never seen a kubrick film in theaters and i probably never will. there will never be another kubrick film made. he really shook things up and took film to a whole new level. it's almost impossible to comprehend that the man really hasn't ever made a bad movie since the 60s. i've never seen any of his pre-lolita work, i just know the boxed set, but whatever.

there was recently a screening of 2001 in the city and i missed it. i was pissed. i still am pissed. i pray that it gets an imax rerelease some day soon.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

mutinyco

His movies are shown faily regularly here and there. I saw Full Metal Jacket at BAM with Modine and D'Onofrio. Film Forum showed Strangelove recently. FF also had that monster retrospective back in 2000 where they showed pristine prints of all his films. And, of course, the late 2001 rerelease of 2001 at Lowes Astor in Times Square was the pinacle of moviegoing.

The point is, he made films that were intended to be seen on a large screen. They feel and move differently.

-St. Joe

bonanzataz

mutinyco, you're a much bigger kubrick freak than i and you live in the city. keep me (and the rest of the board) posted for when there will be screenings. i NEED to see at least one of them (preferably 2001) on the big screen before my head explodes.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

mutinyco

-St. Joe

Ghostboy

I imagine big screen showings are pretty regular. 2001, Clockwork and The Shining all play in Dallas at least once a year. Strangelove now and then too.
No matter how many times you've seen The Shining, it will still scare the crap out of you on the big screen. One of my favorite moviegoing experiences was seeing a midnight show of Clockwork, which I emerged from to discover that it was snowing quite heavily. In Texas, this is a rare and beautiful thing.

mutinyco

Yes, I suppose "beautiful" is rare indeed in Texas!  :o

-St. Joe

Fernando

Quote from: mutinycoHis movies are shown faily regularly here and there. I saw Full Metal Jacket at BAM with Modine and D'Onofrio.

You mean thay were there to have a Q&A after the sreening? If so, would you share any interesting bits they might have answered or discussed?

mutinyco

Actually, I was sitting dead center and Matthew Modine had me stand up in front of everybody, cause he thought I looked like Pvt. Joker.

They mostly talked about the process. How Kubrick's attitude was that there are no bad ideas. He sometimes allowed the actors to improvise if he trusted them or wanted to see where a scene might go. He very easily set up compositions, as the film isn't shot in a terribly complex manner -- it's quite basic. He also didn't do a great deal of directing the actors -- the reason he did multiple takes is because he was constantly experimenting. He helped the actors to develop the characters, but on set he wanted to see what they would do. It wasn't about technical precision in that sense, although sometimes it was. They said the most difficult scene in the movie was when they're stuck behind the wall while the sniper is taking out Doc and 8 Ball. They were constantly trying to figure it out.

-St. Joe

modage

i saw eyes wide shut in the theatres.  TWICE! :-D
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mutinyco

I think I saw it about 6 times.

-St. Joe

modage

wow, i think the only movies i've seen six times in the theatre are Batman and Aladdin.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mutinyco

It was worth it. Go to:

http://www.movienavigator.org/eyeswideshut.htm

This is the reason his films still work. There's so much to see in them.

-St. Joe