Fully subjective movies

Started by aurora, March 13, 2003, 08:01:29 PM

BonBon85

By Polka's definition ("filtered through the eyes or mind of a character") Waking Life is, but I don't think that's what we're going for here. And yeah, I think subjective's the wrong word - I relate it more to the movie viewing experience than the movies themselves.

A Clockwork Orange and The Four Hundred Blows are maybes.

aurora

Quote from: budgieI don't understand what you mean by 'subjective'?  :(

I mean where we see the story unfold as the main character does.

Like in Pi, every scene involves Max. It never cuts away to the bad guys going "We're going to control the stock market"

Doesn't really have to be camera POV like 'Smack My Bitch Up' though.

Just so its like we are only seeing what the main character sees

And Natural Born Killers isn't... as we have heaps of cut aways to Wayne Gale doing his TV show and other things.

aurora

Quote from: BonBon85
A Clockwork Orange

Nah because we see a scene between his parents near the start

Very close though!

MacGuffin

Quote from: DionySuS
Quote from: budgieI don't understand what you mean by 'subjective'?  :(

I mean where we see the story unfold as the main character does.

Doesn't really have to be camera POV like 'Smack My Bitch Up' though.

Just so its like we are only seeing what the main character sees

Then what does "fully subjective," as the name of this thread is called, mean? I would assume that would mean seeing exactly what the main character sees, hence my post.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aurora

Hey Mac, you were right dude!

I just meant that there is fully subjective movies that ain't just POV. Best example: PI but that does have HEAPS of POV shots

You gave the best example there was though! I want to see that movie now

pgr

Quote from: bonanzatazThere's the Prodigy video Smack My Bitch Up.

Yeah, thats a wicked video. Too bad it doesn't get shown on TV. I had to dload it from Kazaa.

bonanzataz

they showed it on mtv when i was in the UK.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Victor

mike white says that his original scrit for chuck and buck was totally subjective, every scene had buck in it. he was forced to write extra scenes for chuck. imo the movie wouldve been a lot better mikes way. movies always throw me off when all the scenes involve one character, and then BANG its something and someone else. it disrupts the flow. i really like the idea of totally subjective movies, its too bad there arent more of them.
are you gonna eat with us too?

CollinBullock

The Game is a great example of subjective film making because we see everything through Michael Douglas' character.

Fincher seems obsessed with subjective film making.
Reality is extraordinary.  Unfourtanetly, the best parts don't make good movies - Terry Gilliam

©brad

The Game is not a subjective film really. When you talk about subjectivity in film you really are talking about the visuals, yes? Natural Born Killers is totally subjective. The camera is as hyper-active and drugged up as the characters are.

CollinBullock

Well, I suppose it does indeed have to do with what one considers subjective.  I think The Game is subjective because we see the narrative only as the main character would see it, i.e. there are no scenes where we see the bad guys plotting against him or what not.

And I think Natural Born Killers could be seen as a subjective, but I view it as an objective film about a world that does quite exist (yet).
Reality is extraordinary.  Unfourtanetly, the best parts don't make good movies - Terry Gilliam

Mesh

This thread still hasn't decided what the fuck it means by "subjective," including Dionysus.  Annoying.

Nearly every film mentioned in this thread contains at least one shot that could not possibly have been from the main character's "perspective."

"Everything being in relation to the main character" : way too unspecific to be any kind of useful definition.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: MacGuffinDoesn't get anymore subjective than this:

You are the camera. Robert Montgomery is really just the voice and hands, and is only seen when looking into mirrors. But all the characters talk directly to you/camera as you/he play Philip Marlowe and try to solve the mystery.

--------------------------------------------------------

Also, the first 10 minutes of "Strange Days".

what about the first 10 mintues of micheal powell's peeping tom -- strange days "borrowed" many things from peeping tom -- including the first 10 minutes.
...your excuses are your own...