Fast & Furious 6

Started by MacGuffin, May 24, 2013, 09:37:44 AM

MacGuffin

Release date: May 24, 2013

Starring: Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Dwayne Johnson, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster, Gina Carano

Directed by: Justin Lin

Premise: Hobbs has Dom and Brian reassemble their crew in order to take down a mastermind who commands an organization of mercenary drivers across 12 countries. Payment? Full pardons for them all.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Really pumped. It looks so fun.

Reel

polkablues

It's just as good as Fast 5 was (though slightly hampered by a less visually interesting setting). These movies are the best dumb fun Hollywood has to offer right now. I'm heartbroken Justin Lin isn't coming back for the seventh.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

I saw "Fast Five" but none of the ones before or since. I wanted to love it but could not get down with the family values PG-13 action. At all.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Prior to Fast Five, I had seen part of the second one on TV, and that was my entire exposure to the series. After Fast Five, I don't even want to revisit the early ones, because I know I'll be massively disappointed in them.

What Justin Lin has gotten so right in these last two movies is embracing the sheer ridiculousness of the whole enterprise, not in a meta, ironic sense, but wholeheartedly reveling in the joy of the absurdity. He also stages his action scenes better than any other working director. It's easy to take for granted how hard that shit is to pull off, especially when dealing with that many characters at once, but his action sequences are always clear, inventive, and have a consistent internal narrative. I find these movies impossible not to like.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

just now got to see this. i've seen all the previous ones of course. says a lot about how awful my month of may was, that i wasn't able to see this in may. omfg i'm embarrassed!

umm modage sounds crazy (it's a wonderful life with fast cars, everything's ok) and polkablues is spot on. especially -- nvm, especially the whole paragraph, but i'm especially going to quote:

QuoteHe also stages his action scenes better than any other working director.

doesn't he?? happy you said this because right away, during the initial london chase, i was amazed. how many cameras and how many takes does he use? he creates these massive and moving and high-charged scenes with all the best parts of hollywood action movies, but also he's able to piece them together. it's total fantasy that somehow doesn't feel like total fantasy. there's framework to his action. impressive. i didn't know a helicopter could move like that, holy fuck. obviously i'm talking about the helicopter with the camera during the tank scene. being serious. he shot-for-shot creates a chase between ~four cars and a russian jet. and i'm beyond happy that i get to mention such a thing

i like how the series has continued to develop the principles of its leading characters. nerd movies with cars, international travel, and shiny lights. so tasty