R.I.P. Johnny Cash

Started by MacGuffin, September 12, 2003, 05:06:02 AM

MacGuffin

Country Singer Johnny Cash Dies at 71

NEW YORK (AP) -- Johnny Cash, a towering figure in American music spanning country, rock and folk and known worldwide as "The Man in Black," has died, according to hospital officials in Nashville, Tenn. He was 71.

"Johnny died due to complications from diabetes, which resulted in respiratory failure," said Cash's manager, Lou Robin, in a press release issued by Baptist Hospital in Nashville.

The release said Cash died at the hospital at 1 a.m. EDT. He was released from Baptist on Wednesday where he had spent two weeks being treated for an unspecified stomach ailment.

"I hope that friends and fans of Johnny will pray for the Cash family to find comfort during this very difficult time," Robin said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

luctruff

this is truly a black day in the world of music...god bless cash
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes out something old! Remember that time I took a home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

Pas

Shit, Hepburn, Barry Whyte, Bob Hope, Charles Bronson and now Cash ... what a year

edit : Fuck, and Johnny Ritter now !!! SHIT !

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

cine

sad, expected, but i'm also glad it happened.
for cash, it was one of those 'its better this way' things, since his wife had died earlier and he was a wreck over it. so i'm glad he's 'in a better place', as they'd say.

rip

SoNowThen

I don't fucking.....

THIS FUCKING SUCKS!!!!! FUCK.

I haven't felt this shitty since Phil Hartman got murdered.

RIP Johnny. And God Bless.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

I was waiting for it ever since June died, but it's cast a pall over my day anyway.

moonshiner

Johnny Cash was a legend, it's too bad indie rock is the only place to find his influence

Cinephile, well said, his passing on seems more merciful than anything....he was the coolest man ever to wear black
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

Raikus

Very, very sad news to start the day on.

Well, if they freed me from this prison, if that railroad train was mine,
I bet I'd move on over a little farther down the line,
Far from Folsom Prison, that's where I want to stay,
And I'd let that lonesome whistle blow my blues away.

Rest in peace Mr. Cash.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

neatahwanta

Hendersonville, Tennessee, USA 1996

Vile5

so sad, so sad, so sad.....
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

RegularKarate

I'm so broken about this today... it's really affecting me more than predicted.

I knew it was coming and probably pretty soon, but Jesus...

All these people around the Office are talking about John Ritter's death (which sucks and is surprising and all and I certainly don't want to disrespect him), but I get upset that no one is even mentioning Cash.  I bring it up and someone said "But he was old and sick" and I can only reply "So was my grandfather, but it's still terrible terrible news".

It's just a bad day... I haven't been this affected by a musician's death in a long while... Maybe since Cobaine.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: mogwaisad news, but expected. :(

Yeah, how are you taking all the tragedies mogwai?

modage

theyre playing the Hurt video on MTV every 20 minutes this morning.  i've seen it like 7 times in the past hour or two.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

meatwad

it hurts even more to watch the "hurt" video now. R.I.P to the most infultiantal man in rock.