What DVDs did you get for the Christmas?

Started by Banky, December 03, 2003, 01:16:54 PM

analogzombie

haha, not only are they amazing films but when the ladies come over and see this set they think I'm all sensitive and intelligent, double score ha!
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

But if you know women who know about those movies, they're probably smart enough to see through that disguise.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cine

Quote from: aClockworkWalrusBut if you know women who know about those movies, they're probably smart enough to see through that disguise.
Good call. Also, I recommend Terms of Endearment to put at the front of your collection for those ladies.  :roll:

Gamblour.

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: aClockworkWalrusBut if you know women who know about those movies, they're probably smart enough to see through that disguise.
Good call. Also, I recommend Terms of Endearment to put at the front of your collection for those ladies.  :roll:

My English teacher always said Dirty Dancing (or was it Grease) and the Princess Bride should be in your collection for the ladies.
WWPTAD?

analogzombie

you all make very good points. but you see the ladiez i am after are the 19-22 year old college students who have heard of French New Wave, Truffaut and Godard, but aren't very familiar with them. In other words, pretentious cute young college girls. you know, the kind that major in photography and take existentialism as an elective.  :wink:
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Gamblor du JourMy English teacher always said Dirty Dancing (or was it Grease) and the Princess Bride should be in your collection for the ladies.

Dirty Dancing shouldn't be in anybody's collection.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: analogzombie

haha, not only are they amazing films but when the ladies come over and see this set they think I'm all sensitive and intelligent, double score ha!
Ha! I plan on spoiling myself with that tomorrow!
For today my true love gave to me:

Almost Famous: Untitled Bootleg
The Royal Tannenbaums
DMB Central Park
Mitch Hedberg: Mitch All Together

Rather lackluster compared to some others here, but it's better than what I had expected since I asked for none.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

cine

Quote from: analogzombieyou all make very good points. but you see the ladiez i am after are the 19-22 year old college students who have heard of French New Wave, Truffaut and Godard, but aren't very familiar with them. In other words, pretentious cute young college girls. you know, the kind that major in photography and take existentialism as an elective.  :wink:
Hm. Not bad.

Ghostboy

I got all of Peter Jackson's pre-LOTR films, minus The Frighteners and Forgotten Silver (which is out of print). Funny, I consider Dead Alive one of my favorite horror films and have bought it as a gift for others on two separate occasions, but still have never owned it myself until now.

I also got (via gift certificate and pre-ordering) the Criterion re-issue of Mon Oncle.

Chest Rockwell

The only movie I got was Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.....and I think it's previously owned....My folks are always terrible at picking movies for me. But hey, good news is that what they didn't get me in gifts, they gave me in money.... :twisted:

The Idiot

I got "The Two Towers" and the "Alien Quadrilogy."
It is said that evil men have no songs. Why is it, then, that the Russians sing songs?

-Friederich Nietchze

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

i ended up getting pants for my birthday instead of the hitchcock box, so i ended up getting that for christmas.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Idiot

It is said that evil men have no songs. Why is it, then, that the Russians sing songs?

-Friederich Nietchze