What the fuck is the word I'm looking for?

Started by Reinhold, October 01, 2005, 07:09:03 PM

Reinhold

i'm writing something, and i can't find the word i'm looking for. it's fuckin killing me. i've tried reverse dictionaries and checking vaguely related words in a thesaurus. no dice.

anyway, the definition of the verb i need is something similar to "to move  opposite direction from whatever is in the background"

i mean this to be a group thesaurus thing, but maybe this'll turn into a game thread.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Gamblour.

"move away from..."

I can't think of anything.
WWPTAD?

hedwig

Quote from: Reinhold Messneranyway, the definition of the verb i need is something similar to "to move opposite direction from whatever is in the background"

your definition is not specific enough. is the background motionless, like a wall, and the verb is meant to describe a person moving forward away from the wall? or is there something in the background in motion, like a train, and the verb is meant to describe someone running next to the train, but in the opposite direction?

Reinhold

Quote from: Hedwig
Quote from: Reinhold Messneranyway, the definition of the verb i need is something similar to "to move opposite direction from whatever is in the background"

your definition is not specific enough. is the background motionless, like a wall, and the verb is meant to describe a person moving forward away from the wall? or is there something in the background in motion, like a train, and the verb is meant to describe someone running next to the train, but in the opposite direction?

it's a frisbee moving across the sky in the opposite direction as some clouds, but the person running in opposition to the train is a good example of what i'm looking for.

edit for further clarity:
*the background is moving
*lateral movement... not forward away from the background
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

matt35mm

"Counter," as in running counter to.

Or "Against," as in running against something.

Pubrick

parallel, that's the word to describe running next to sumthing. and "opposite direction" would denote the direction.

"the frisbee flies across the sky, parallel to the clouds but in opposite direction"
under the paving stones.

hedwig

yeah, but what the fuck? why exactly are the clouds moving so fast that you can actually SEE what direction they're moving in? do clouds even do that?

but anyway, P's correct about how it should be described.

polkablues

Say the frisbee flew contraparallel to the clouds.  It's not a real word as far as I know, but anyway it means what you're trying to say.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ono

Reinhold

thanks guys. here's how it ended up in the first draft:

"In the distance, a dog mimed a bark as its companion feigned the release of a Frisbee. Upon its actual release, it offset the movement of thin, newly formed clouds hurrying across the sky."

ono

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Reinhold

Quote from: onoWrong.
Quote from: PubrickC +

yeah, i know.

it's gonna get changed.

Pozer

I think you should just hack the cloud line altogether.

Reinhold

Quote from: POZER!I think you should just hack the cloud line altogether.

it fits, just not as it is. it's a placeholder right now. it's heavy and inarticulate. if it stays this way, i will hack it.

thanks.

so, anybody wanna turn this into a game thread?