name the most obscure movie you have seen

Started by pete, April 19, 2004, 10:06:13 PM

Quote from: Find Your MagaliEarly zombie silliness from the director of Porky's, A Christmas Story and Baby Geniuses..... it's.....

"Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things"

You need to see:

A review of it on this page

http://www.keef.net/archives/2002_08.html
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

Jeremy Blackman

I don't know what's better: the title, the tagline, or the fact that it was directed by Skip Schoolnik.

Ravi

Dottie_Hinkle

For me it was Thundercrack.  Weird beyond belief.
Does Anyone Know Where I can get the soundtrack/score to BANANAS?

doja

matt35mm

Whether or not it's THAT obscure, I just saw Tempress of a Thousand Faces on a BIG SCREEN with a great print.  It was an original 1960's print, and it looked great!

It was like old James Bond, crossed with old campy Batman show, crossed with Austin Powers (or rather, the things that Austin Powers was building off of).  But it was Chinese!  Oh, it was a Shaw Brothers movie.  Anyway, it was great.  A totally great movie experience.  Freakin see this movie.

Chest Rockwell

SoNowThen

A few of you may have heard of this one. You should check it out.

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

i saw this in middle school in the middle of the night on tv. it was really weird.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0076665/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weak2ndAct

Robert Duvall's first movie "Tomorrow," which was a rural (read: hayseed) low-budget drama about families fighting over the ownership of a disowned woman's child.  A black and white 16mm movie, and was actually quite good.

Derek

The Loch Ness Horror. Cheesy 80's horror with bad effects that I loved.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

doja

grand theft sparrow

Las Aventuras de Juan Quin Quin. A Cuban western from the late 60s.  I don't think it ever got a theatrical run in the US (I was lucky enough to see it in film school) but, as the print had English subtitles, it must have played in some English-speaking country.   The guy who played Juan Quin Quin was the Latino equivalent of Bruce Campbell.  It was a very tongue-in-cheek movie but pretty innovative, especially for that time (characters had thought balloons in certain scenes, for example).  

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a letter to Criterion to write.

Slick Shoes

"Wired to Kill" (1986)

In the near future, law and order break down, while diseases, violence, and immorality run rampant. However, one young Christian man decides not to turn the other cheek anymore. He modifies his wheelchair to help him protect his home and family - and kill the thugs first!