Overrated Directors?

Started by j_scott_stroup04, December 17, 2003, 06:24:57 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gamblor du JourHmm, I just got through watching Usual Suspects, I'm sure it's been asked before, but what's wrong with it?

Nothing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Quote from: rudieobTHE USUAL SUSPECTS - i call it "the most overrated film of the 90s"!!!
I agree. When people tell me they love Usual Suspects for its original storytelling, I ask the inevitable: "Oh, so have you seen Rashomon?"

"Rasha-whut?"

MacGuffin

Quote from: CinephileWhen people tell me they love Usual Suspects for its original storytelling, I ask the inevitable: "Oh, so have you seen Rashomon?"

"Rasha-whut?"

I don't see the connection. How did "Usual Suspects" have multiple POV's? It was told in flashbacks only by Verbal Kint.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

soixante

Thomas Edison -- Electrocuting an Elephant was not that great, and it's very short.

Edwin S. Porter -- Great Train Robbery is overrated.

D.W. Griffith -- think Birth of a Nation is a classic?  Try sitting through it.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: PGod is so overrated.

Probaby even more than Bryan Singer
Si

©brad

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum

usual suspects rocks. i don't understand u ppl sometimes. who said it was cool to hate cool movies? it ain't. and how is brian singer overrated? i bet 8 out of 10 ppl u ask wouldn't even know who he was.

modage

Quote from: ©brad
Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum

usual suspects rocks. i don't understand u ppl sometimes. who said it was cool to hate cool movies? it ain't. and how is brian singer overrated? i bet 8 out of 10 ppl u ask wouldn't even know who he was.

i love US too.  i saw it in like 9th grade and it knocked my socks off.  it helped open the door, like so many others, to my obsessive movie-dom.  just because i hadnt seen rashomon when i was 14 doesnt mean i was an idiot.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

I've yet to hear a good argument as to why the Usual Supsects is bad.

Richard Linklater...I'm only basing this off of Waking Life (the movie I can say I hate as much as I inversely love taffy...and I'm a man who loves his taffy...)
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gamblor du JourI've yet to hear a good argument as to why the Usual Supsects is bad.

If you wanna wade through four pages and try to find one:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1134

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Quote from: MacGuffinI don't see the connection. How did "Usual Suspects" have multiple POV's? It was told in flashbacks only by Verbal Kint.

Oh, there's a connection between Rashomon and the Usual Suspects alright, and it's not multiple POV's... Maybe you need to see them again?

MacGuffin

Quote from: CinephileOh, there's a connection between Rashomon and the Usual Suspects alright, and it's not multiple POV's... Maybe you need to see them again?

:yabbse-huh:

Maybe someone can save me 4 hours and tell me, 'cause I'm thinking about the obvious storytelling device.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Mac, thanks for the link.

Cinephile, you're right, I forgot about the part with the ghost in Usual Supsects  :lol:
WWPTAD?

SoNowThen

Yeah, now I'm intrigued too. IMO, US was a decent flick. Let's put it this way, I enjoyed it more than Rashomon

*hush falls over the crowd*

oh, and I second Linklater. I hated Dazed And Confused, and the parts of Slacker I saw licked balls. However, Tape was pretty good in the sense of directing actors and structuring story, but again, looked fucking terrible (he shot it on video, a handicam or something, I think --- blah!!)
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gamblour.

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Gamblor du JourI've yet to hear a good argument as to why the Usual Supsects is bad.

If you wanna wade through four pages and try to find one:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1134

It's funny, I read every single post, and not one argument seemed good enough to hate the movie as much as some do. Some said the ending was contrived, others said the acting was bad, but you know what? I just don't see it, so I guess this is just one of those things. I'm hearing why people don't like it, but I just can't understand it. Oh well, their loss, at least I get to enjoy it.
WWPTAD?