The Outlaw Son

Started by Ghostboy, December 26, 2006, 04:01:24 AM

Ghostboy

I won a grant to make this short film. For various reasons, it's taken me a long time to get it to a point where it can be shown, but here it is...sort of.

The Outlaw Son

There are multiple versions of this film (it was written and shot with multiple interpretations in mind), some edited by me, others not. This one is by me. At ten minutes, it's the shortest cut (I wanted to try and make a version that's almost completely silent).

It might not be safe for work, depending on where you work. It's also probably not safe to watch while drowsy.

PS: Ravi and Matt35mm both were in this film, although unfortunately neither of them are visible in this cut.

RegularKarate

Wait!  Ravi's real name is RAVI?!

Ravi

That's my name indeed.

Wow, its been a long time since you started this film.  I'm curious to see the other interpretations of the story.  You've used an elliptical style of storytelling.  Any chance you were watching Kieslowski when you thought of making this film?

Quote from: Ghostboy on December 26, 2006, 04:01:24 AM
PS: Ravi and Matt35mm both were in this film, although unfortunately neither of them are visible in this cut.

My back was to the camera anyways, so even if that shot was included you wouldn't have seen me.  Unfortunately I had car trouble on the second day I was supposed to be there.  It was fun to watch the shooting though.

Ghostboy

Quote from: Ravi on December 29, 2006, 01:33:24 PM
You've used an elliptical style of storytelling.  Any chance you were watching Kieslowski when you thought of making this film?

Surprisingly, no. I love him to death, but he actually wasn't an influence at all on this. I honestly don't know what my influences on it were. I didn't think about many films while I working on it. It's reflective of a lot of interest I've had lately, folks like Van Sant and Tsai Ming Liang. I think my subconscious added a few Vincent Gallo touches, as well -- that's the first thing I thought of when I saw the raw footage for the first time.

I had read Kieslowski On Kieslowski a few months before I shot it though, and was pleased to see his interest in having multiple cuts of his films, to provoke different responses for different audiences.