are you uncomfortable to start a topic or speak your mind?

Started by freakerdude, December 07, 2003, 07:18:10 PM

freakerdude

to quote regularkarate
QuoteOne should not have to worry about being picked on, or made uncomfortable posting something (especially personal) when coming here for concern of what someone will reply.
As a noob boob on here, I feel, at times, like I am swimming with the sharks and tread the waters very carefully. Typically, noobs are not up to the level of the regulars and are often made fun of.........sometimes it is appropriate and sometimes not. Just a few ppl insult a noob's intelligence at times, when in fact they should be welcomed. If they haven't been through the entire site, obviously they will have no prior history of what's what or who's who. Yes, the search option should always be used before starting a new topic, but most noobs are so excited by this shit that they don't know proper forum etiquette. It's like a new toy to them.

My main point is that while this forum has been one of the most informative, it can also be a bit harsh at times. If this site wants to welcome new ppl to post their opinions or suggestions, make it a fair playing field and respect the fact that somebody may not know how this forum is run.

I wonder how many lukers there are compared to active members on here? I was amazed how many lurkers one site had until we called them out. If a lurker thinks he or she is not up to the forum's level of knowledge or feels like they might be made fun of, they won't post. Mostly all of you have hundreds and thousands of posts but I rarely see any active newcomers joining up even though I have only been here a short time. As far as starting topics where threads have already been created, I totally understand and agree about redirecting when it's relatively the same subject. Bandwidth and keeping an organized site are important factors.

I just want to say that most are respectful of each other but feel that this site could be a bit more welcoming to the new person. FAQ's are worth their weight in gold and should be a pre-req for all sites and noobs. It all breaks down to the control of the proprietor, admins, and then the members. Basically, there has to be both control and freedom....which are tough to find a medium that satisfies everyone.

edited once to correct the word tought to tough, twice to add this line, and third to correct a fuck up in this line - FD
MC Pee Pants

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Funny how you start a thread about this.

But no...I don't worry about it much now. I used to when I first started posting, now I feel comfortable saying what I feel.  There has to be a way to convey to new posters that they should speak their minds, too.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Sleuth

Freaker, I've liked you ever since you got that avatar
I like to hug dogs

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm still a little partial to the head explody one.

Can you find a way to mix the two?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Quote from: freakerdudeto quote regularkarate
QuoteOne should not have to worry about being picked on, or made uncomfortable posting something (especially personal) when coming here for concern of what someone will reply.

Actually, that's my quote. And I've made a point of cutting down on the redirecting. In fact, one our newest members j_scott has repeated some topics in the PTA forum that I've just let go. Stefen made a Clementine's Loop thread that has been done numberous times before, but I just answered his question and help him out rather than just a straight redirect. I feel I am a bigger thread killer than slobh.

But I hope you don't feel so apprehensive to speak your mind, freaker. If I have made you feel like a 'cherry' then I do apologize.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Xixax

In general, it's a good idea to lurk on a forum for a few weeks to get the feel of the community before starting on a posting spree. That's just common sense.

After that, well... Again it's just common sense.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Sleuth

Quote from: MacGuffinI feel I am a bigger thread killer than slobh.

You don't know how many times I wanted to bring that up back in the day :kiss:
I like to hug dogs

freakerdude

Quote from: MacGuffinBut I hope you don't feel so apprehensive to speak your mind, freaker. If I have made you feel like a 'cherry' then I do apologize.
No need to apologize, as I have not been directly disrespected. I only used your quote (another error as I thought it was RK) as a basis for my post. Now there are some posts where I have embarrassed myself........

Edit: Here's an example of a warm welcome to my first post on this board that partially made me decide to keep posting.

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=3353
MC Pee Pants

Thrindle

So I admit that I'm an Idle Chatter groupie.  I don't feel knowledgable enough to post about film (although I enjoy it thoroughly).

Is this the reason that we have so many lurkers, or do they just hide in fear?  We seem to have a group of constant posters, and then tons of people who just read...  I WISH THEY'D COME OUT!
Classic.

xerxes

i don't have to worry about that much because for the most part people don't really pay attention to anything i post

Dirk

At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

doja

what a great thread. i am also new. i am not often responded to, but i do not mind. i think this is a satisfying film community.

Pedro

sometimes i feel shy about posting a serious opinion about a film.  i feel my opinions arent mature enough, so i dont.  but i gotta start sometime.  might as well be now.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: ThrindleI don't feel knowledgable enough to post about film

>thats never stopped the lynch haters from posting ..so dont be shy.. :wink:

SHAFTR

Only thing I noticed when I was new, and notice with other new posters, is that you are kind of ignored until your post count goes up.  I think that's just because a board personality has yet to be developed.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"