NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

Jeremy Blackman

cronopio 2

no, i got the demo a couple of months ago, but whenever i play something like that, i get scared 15 minutes in, afraid that i might never get my life back if i get sucked into the experience. something strange happened, i was playing it , slaying dead zombies or whatever, and then a psychedelic portal opened and i started killing fluffy rabbits and friendly figures.

last game i played and adored was pikmin 3. that game is gorgeous. emotional and fun.

Jeremy Blackman

Eh, Diablo 3 is pretty easy to put down, especially compared to an actual MMORPG. But yes if you take it too seriously, there is an endless path of progression that some people choose to pursue. (Diablo 2 was the same way.) I've played it off and on and just tried it out again. They've made a lot of improvements.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: cronopio 2 on August 14, 2015, 04:50:00 PMsomething strange happened, i was playing it , slaying dead zombies or whatever, and then a psychedelic portal opened and i started killing fluffy rabbits and friendly figures.

There's actually a funny story behind that.

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Whimsyshire

"Whimsyshire was originally made as a response to criticism regarding the game's graphics being 'too cartoon-like' and 'too bright'."

cronopio 2

jenkins

Asking the person who can tell me without having to look it up, what major videogame release of similar nature followed World of Warcraft, as in a videogame that had a popular cultural force and also took over people's lives, not counting sports games or FPS etc, but maybe not necessarily an MMORPG, I have no idea what became popular after WoW. I expect this same person can also tell me for how long WoW had a strong force. Talking groundfloor answers here, asking the person who already knows the answer. Please, genuinely appreciate it.

cronopio 2

definitely League of Legends, although that's a MOBA.

star wars: the old republic is also popular.

wow is still popular as far as i'm concerned, but i guess most people grew tired in 2011.

in related news, i have pre ordered a copy of MGS V , which is getting very good reviews, something rare if compared to the past couple of entries in the franchise.

people are saying that for once the game is subtle in its storytelling and that its complexity is justified.

Axolotl

Quoteas in a videogame that had a popular cultural force and also took over people's lives, not counting sports games or FPS etc, but maybe not necessarily an MMORPG
Minecraft? (Haven't played it)

Jeremy Blackman

Wildstar was a game made for people who didn't think WoW was all-consuming enough. But apparently it wasn't too successful and is soon going free-to-play.

League of Legends and Minecraft are both great answers. Maybe also the Call of Duty series (though you didn't want an FPS answer).

Lottery

Quote from: cronopio 2 on August 26, 2015, 05:03:47 AM
in related news, i have pre ordered a copy of MGS V , which is getting very good reviews, something rare if compared to the past couple of entries in the franchise.

people are saying that for once the game is subtle in its storytelling and that its complexity is justified.

Sibling reordered MGSV yesterday, got bundled with Ground Zeroes. So good. Though I must say all the main entries have been very well recieved and the series wouldn't be what it is without its trademark convoluted insanity. MGSV does however appear to be tonally different and more subtle- but still has the typical zaniness.

Quote from: Axolotl on August 26, 2015, 05:16:55 AM
Minecraft? (Haven't played it)

I can attest to this. The appeal of digital lego is very strong and it truly was a cultural phenomenon in the gaming world. I played it for a brief and intense period during 2010. I was not clever enough to make computers and calculators in the game so I stuck with making pretty buildings and little artifical ecosystems. This game made me feel like I had truly wasted my life- there was a point where I was like 'what the hell am I doing right now?'- even moreso than The Sims. While I've still been playing games over the following years, I think I stopped regularly gaming because of Minecraft.

Anyway, LoL, Minecraft and now DOTA 2 are all fitting answers. Starcraft 2 was pehaps expected to stand alongside these games but I'm not sure if it really matched the popularity of the others or its predecessor.
I guess the MOBA replaced the RTS and MMORPG.

And there's those usual entry-based (?) favourites like GTA, COD (FPS as mentioned above) etc
Skyrim had the world in its grasp for quite a while too. I think that works too.

Another very curious game (which I haven't played) is EVE Online, which is fascinating from the outside but up close it looks like sheer drudgery. Reasonably popular, totally and utterly life-consuming, very complex.

EDIT:

You said major but how about those smaller web and phone games like Farmville and Flappybird? Those were odd/popular/often unpleasant.

Jeremy Blackman

FYI, if anyone is playing Diablo 3 seasonal (or wants to), I can power level you. It's less than 30 min 1-70.

jenkins

jenkins

i like and appreciate their details, for example when Sub-Zero is prepping his fatality.