Seinfeld

Started by SoNowThen, May 09, 2003, 02:02:58 PM

Slick Shoes

There's this excellent deli I used to go to before I moved away that was all about Seinfeld. They had old episodes playing all day on a little screen, cast photos on the walls, etc. They even named a lot of the food items after the characters and defining moments. I would go there for lunch atleast once a week and order "a Costanza, hold the mayo," while my girlfriend, a vegetarian, would get "Soup Nazi and a salad."

Sorry, that had absolutely nada to do with DVDs.

Link

Quote from: BrainSushiAm I the only person who wishes Sack Lunch was a real movie?

ELAINE: Oh, c'mon Blaine. I mean, look at the poster for Sack Lunch.

BLAINE: It's a family in a brown paper bag.

ELAINE: (laughing) Don't you wanna know how they got in there?

BLAINE: No.

*LATER*

ELAINE: So d'you think they got shrunk down, or is it just a giant sack?

That makes me laugh so hard every time.

©brad

PETERMAN: Elaine, what did you think? [of the English Patient]

ELAINE: Actually, I haven't seen it so I couldn't tell you whether I liked it or whether it REALLY SUCKED.

SoNowThen

"Mr. Peterman, you speak Burmese?"

"No, Elaine, that was gibberish."
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Fernando

Elaine: (answers the phone) Hello, Mr. Peterman, how are you feeling?

J. Peterman: Elaine, I'll be blunt. I'm burnt out. I'm fried. My mind is as barren as the surface of the moon. I can run that catalog no longer.

Elaine: What? Well, who's gonna do it?

J. Peterman: What about you?

Elaine: Me? Why me?

J. Peterman: Why, indeed.

Elaine: Mr. Peterman, you can't leave.

J. Peterman: I've already left, Elaine. I'm in Burma.

Elaine: Burma?

J. Peterman: You most likely know it as Myanmar, but it will always be Burma to me. Bonne chance, Elaine. (to a passerby) You there on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons! (runs after him)

Link

Kramer: Hey. (notices Elaine) What's wrong?

Elaine: Oh, Peterman ran off to Burma, and now he wants me to run the catalog.

Kramer: Where?

Jerry: Myanmar.

Kramer: The discount pharmacy?

---------------------------------------------
goodness, it makes me laugh so hard.  I think Festivus is in 2 days.  Gotta get the pole from the crawlspace!

Gamblour.

Seinfeld cast boycotts DVD

Actors who played Kramer, George and Elaine won't participate in DVD set due to money fight.
December 23, 2003: 8:43 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Kramer, George and Elaine aren't happy, so fans of the old Seinfeld sitcom won't be seeing interviews with them on an upcoming DVD set, according to a published report.

The New York Times reported Tuesday that Michael Richards (who played Kramer), Jason Alexander (who played George) and Julia Louis-Dreyfus (who played Elaine), declined to give on-camera interviews for the DVD set or otherwise participate in the project because they are not being offered a share of the sales, only a recording fee.

"They all said, 'Why should we make other people richer,'" said a representative of one of the actors to the Times.

One of the selling points of DVDs are the extras not available with the original product, such as commentary tracks by a film's or series' director or stars, or features and documentaries about the making of the movie or show.

The sale of DVD collections of an entire season or two of a television show has become the fastest growing segment of the already fast-growing DVD market, according to industry officials. Sales of TV on DVD sales are expected to nearly double this year to $1.5 billion from $880 million in 2002, Video Store Magazine told CNN/Money earlier this year.

The Times reports that one of the representatives of the three unhappy actors said the three receive annual payments of about $100,000 each from the continued airing of the show in syndication. But that pales in comparison to the millions received by the show's creators, Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David. Seinfeld and David, along with the companies set to produce and distribute the DVD, will share in sales of the DVD set.

The three supporting stars also received $600,000 each per episode the final year the show was still on NBC, although they had been seeking $1 million each per episode. Each has starred in short-lived network series since "Seinfeld" went off the air.

"Seinfeld" ran on NBC from 1990 through 1998 and is now popular in syndication. The DVD set is being prepared by Castle Rock Entertainment, which produced the show for NBC, and is to be distributed by Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment. Castle Rock is a unit of Time Warner Inc. (TWX: Research, Estimates), as is CNN/Money. Columbia TriStar is a unit of Sony (SNE: Research, Estimates), while NBC is a unit of General Electric Co. (GE: Research, Estimates)
WWPTAD?

mogwai

i'd say: get a normal job like the rest of us you cheap bastards!

Pwaybloe

That's fine if they decide not to participate.  It's disappointing, but fine.  

All in all they have no reason to bitch.  They're not producers.  They're actors.  If they want a piece, I'm sure they will have to renegotiate their contracts, like everyone else does.

cine

I think they made ENOUGH money from doing the show that they don't have to worry about making MORE money off the sales of the DVDs. Give something back to the fans, take the recording fee, do some interviews and shut the fuck up. Please the fans that MADE YOU without complaining for a decent paycheck, you selfish whores.

SoNowThen

There's gotta be more to the story than this..... but still, it is a little weak.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Kal

Quote from: CinephileI think they made ENOUGH money from doing the show that they don't have to worry about making MORE money off the sales of the DVDs. Give something back to the fans, take the recording fee, do some interviews and shut the fuck up. Please the fans that MADE YOU without complaining for a decent paycheck, you selfish whores.

i agree

Gamblour.

They might just be bitter that no one watched their shitty spin-off type shows.
WWPTAD?

cine

Quote from: Gamblor du JourThey might just be bitter that no one watched their shitty spin-off type shows.
Haha, agreed. I think "A Bad Hobbit To Break" with Gollum and Frodo would've kicked all their asses.

Link

Baby, baby, stick your head in gravy!

I'm still gonna get it, though.  

I hate how on TV they're trimming the episodes down.  They take little bits of dialogue here and there, or complete openings.  I hate it!  DVD better have the full monty

Question:  I've seen a couple of quick clips on the Clip Show of Seinfeld, but never seen them in actual episodes.

For example, what episode is Newman powersliding around the corner in a really hot black car, and gets out with sunglasses?  The only thing I can think of is in The Muffin Tops when he comes in to deal with the "situation" a la Pulp Fiction's The Wolf.

Also, there's a quick clip on the show (during the montage playing to the Superman theme) where Elaine's in bed with all three of the guys, and then she wakes up.  WHERE THE HECK IS THAT ONE?

Someone help me, I'm going insane.