Favourite silent movie

Started by cine, August 03, 2003, 12:03:16 PM

Lance

i'll have to check that out

Ravi

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: RaviI tried to watch Birth of a Nation once, but I got bored and stopped it.  I probably wasn't in the mood for a long Civil War epic at the time.  I'll try it again someday.
I wouldn't bother if I were you.  It's horrible pretty much all the way through, and it's only revered (or reviled) for two reasons: the racist content, and the advancements in editing technique, which really, are nothing to be proud of, because someone else would've done it eventually.

I feel obligated to watch at least some of the important scenes, since I'm a film fan and the film is so revered.  I understand that the racism was a relic of its time, as horrible as it was, and that the casting of white actors in blackface somewhat accurately represents the mindset of people at the time.

However, as far as dramatic silent films are concerned, I am a little more interested in the films made in the few years before the advent of sound, when the technical aspects were highly refined.

cine

... Did anyone see that Clone High episode where Abraham Lincoln is wondering why he's having second thoughts about running for president for his council (or whatever it was) and right behind him is this photo of the real former Pres being shot in the head?

Great stuff.

tomtick

The Passion of Joan of Arc is totally amazing

cine

A movie like that is creepier than a lot of the stuff thats intended to be nowadays. You don't ever see movies where the blood is just GUSHING out like it did in that when they cut her open. A very powerful movie.. one of my all time favourites.

luctruff

i love the one by luis bunuel and salvidor dali.....can't remember the name...un chein...something....i know you guys can help me out with this....
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes out something old! Remember that time I took a home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

Pedro

Quote from: luctruffi love the one by luis bunuel and salvidor dali.....can't remember the name...un chein...something....i know you guys can help me out with this....
un chien andaulou(sp?)
It's quite good, yes.

Jeremy Blackman

"Faust" is also great:

Quote from: GhostboyI'm a big fan of AK's choice, as evidenced by my longstanding avatar.

What movie is that? I think I might have seen it. Is it German?

Quote from: NEON MERCURYMan...i  am gonna go film school 101 and say -the cabinet of dr. caligari......

I thought that movie was pretty stupid, actually. But probably influential.

Pedro

I just finished watching the passion of joan of arc.  it's absolutely amazing.  im really gonna start watching more silent films now....and i havent seen the man with the movie camera yet.

cine

Didn't you find Falconetti's face haunting?

Ravi

Has anyone seen The Golem?  As I was watching it I noticed that it was similar to Frankenstein, and sure enough, the back cover of the DVD mentions that the original story is widely recognized to be the inspiration behind Frankenstein.

modage

they just showed a lon chaney documentary on TCM, it was pretty interesting.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

..i just wanted to say (again) that this film is pretty good.....

pinkerton310

Quote from: NEON MERCURY..i just wanted to say (again) that this film is pretty good.....

I totally agree. I saw this in my film class in college and it totally creeped me out. They had a slot for it at Planet Music, but were all sold out. Only $5 too.
They say we all lose 21 grams at the exact moment of our death... everyone. The weight of a stack of nickels. The weight of a chocolate bar. The weight of a hummingbird...

Slick Shoes

Tie between City Lights and The General