PREMIUM RUSH (unofficial Kid with a Bike sequel)

Started by polkablues, August 24, 2012, 08:54:09 PM

polkablues

Sadly, nobody saw the Dardennes' movie, so I'm hijacking this thread in the name of the ultimate kid-with-a-bike movie, Premium Rush.

What Haywire was to '90s direct-to-video action movies, Premium Rush is to '90s extreme sports movies, except ten times as fun.  I honestly can't tell how much the filmmakers were taking it seriously and how much they were taking the piss, and frankly, I'm not sure which I would prefer.

The first and most important thing about the movie is that Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character hates brakes.  HATES 'EM.  We know this because he says so at least once every 90 seconds.  His hatred of brakes is so potent that at one point it causes his estranged, ethnically-diverse girlfriend to rip the brakes off her own bike, blaming them rather than her decision-making for the accident she just got into.  He also hates bikes with multiple gears, but manages to express this disdain through his lifestyle choices rather than talking about it all the damn time.

Somehow, though, brakes are not the main antagonist of the film.  That honor goes to the movie's secret weapon, Michael Shannon, playing Ray Liotta if Ray Liotta were a mid-90s Gary Oldman character.  You guys, Michael Shannon is SO GOOD in this movie.  He goes over over-the-top's top from beginning to end.  There is no scenery that is safe from his hungry jaws.

I'll try not to spoil too much in the way of plot (it really doesn't matter), but I do have to describe one scene that exemplifies why I loved this movie.  JGL and his still-somewhat-estranged girlfriend with a distracting accent are trapped in a police impound garage, hiding behind all the impounded bikes.  JGL's bike is smashed to bits, Michael Shannon is hot on his trail, and goddammit, he still has a package to deliver.  Suddenly, he spots a beat-up old BMX bike hanging up on the wall.  He says something along the lines of, "I can totally shred on that." (That's not the exact line, but it's how I remembered it.)  The Raconteurs' "Salute Your Solution" starts blasting on the soundtrack, and next thing you know he's bike-parkouring all over that garage.  The greatest poets who ever lived could not adequately describe how happy this scene made me.

To sum it up,
Quote from: chere mill on March 31, 2012, 07:21:58 PM
it's a masterpiece.
My house, my rules, my coffee

chere mill

ouch. so much for the dardennes on xixax.

pete

dude I didn't know you can just hijack threads like that as an admin. that's not nice.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Just wait till we turn Heneke's Amour into the official Hope Springs thread.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: pete on August 25, 2012, 01:14:15 AM
dude I didn't know you can just hijack threads like that as an admin. that's not nice.

I prefer the term "misappropriation", but I take your point. I'll split it off into its own thread tomorrow.

pete

bad movie.
fake chase sequences. so-so plot (the whole movie really was just one guy being chased by an angrier, clumsier guy, who never fires a gun or throws a punch - but instead just grimaces at different registers), with one of the worst endings in recent memory. the movie has no climax; three quarters of the way through all the adversaries just threw their hands up, and then inexplicably some super ridiculous help arrives for a hero who doesn't really need help, and then the movie ends.

the best of this kind of movie in the last ten years was Cellular, and even that wasn't very good.
- Buster Keaton

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: pete on August 26, 2012, 03:01:48 AM

the best of this kind of movie in the last ten years was Cellular, and even that wasn't very good.

Funny you mention that, because I actually saw "cellular" the other day on tv and I kinda liked it. (Though I thought Kim bassinger was fucking awful)

Back to the thread... I saw premium rush this afternoon and I agree (even though it was entertaining) it wasn't that good. I really like Joseph-gordon Levitt, I mean, we all have a bit of a man crush on JGL but but not even him can save this movie. Let's be honest, the story is fucking ludicrous and a lot of parts of the movie just felt plain stupid. Michael Shannon's imo had the best performance in the movie (definitely the funniest one) and *** SPOILER ALERT *** it kinda pissed me off when they killed him.. Also Dania Ramirez wasn't bad either.

Anyways, safe to say: THE KID WITH A BIKE > PREMIUM RUSH

But with that said, Premium rush was entertaining in a "Dumb" sort of way... Kinda like the fast and the furious movies. But with MUCH BETTER acting.

6 out of 10
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

pete

fast and the furious were much better. premium rush just didn't deliver. there was no intensity and no point. seemed like they ran out of budget and just ended the movie with some happy faces and happy music.
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

It wasn't better than Fast Five, but it was better than 1-4.

Where's Stefen when you need him? I feel like he would appreciate this movie on the same level as I did.

matt35mm

Stefen is only here when you don't need him. That's what makes him Stefen.

pete

my problem wasn't with the movie's intelligence - I just don't remember any summer action movie in recent years that petered out like this.
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

Here's how I saw it: taken seriously, yes, it's an objectively bad movie.  Taken as a genre riff, with that genre being that weird era in the '90s where every other movie was about skateboarders saving the rec center, or kids thwarting a terrorist attack with the power of Razor scooters, it is EXACTLY what it's supposed to be.  The theme of those movies was always that whatever your hobby was, it made you part of a community of like-minded enthusiasts that combine to create a force so powerful they can accomplish literally anything.  It's only in that context that the climax of Premium Rush makes sense, when the little squabbling sub-culture of bike messengers put aside all their differences and banded together for one of their own.  Is it ridiculous?  Yes.  But it's a ridiculousness so sublime, I will defend this movie to my last breath.

MacGuffin

There's a better discussion about this movie than from the people who saw The Master.

:yabbse-huh:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

I agree with Polka. This was a dumb-fun movie. Sure, it's Hollywood Screenwriting 101. You can clearly see the gears behind the film cranking away. The characterizations are obvious. You have the brash Wilee, as in Wile E. Coyote (which is referenced directly by a character) who doesn't want an office job and hates brakes, the co-worker/nemesis, the will-they-won't-they-of-course-they-will romance, the Macguffin to start the chase. But it's well-crafted to that end, and it held my attention the whole time. The bike angle make it quite thrilling. This movie makes biking in NYC look like the scariest thing ever.

polkablues

I'm so happy right now.

My new goal in life is to be the guest on the How Did This Get Made? episode about this movie. It's my main goal!