Slave songs

Started by SoNowThen, October 07, 2003, 03:09:36 PM

SoNowThen

So I'm talking about songs like Murderer's Home in Gangs Of New York, or the fairly well known Swing Low Sweet Chariot. I love this kinda music. It's fucking raw and obviously very heartfelt, given the circumstances of its creation. Does anybody know any compilation albums or anything of the like, since I don't feel terribly comfortable walking into my record store and asking for the "Slave Music Section"?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pookiethecat

i assume you've heard the "o brother where art thou?" soundtrack.  if not, check that out pronto.

i think "african-american spirituals" is the more politically correct description, btw.
i wanna lick 'em.

freakerdude

You need to watch episode 1 (and the rest) of Scorcese's The Blues series he did for PBS. It ties in the roots from Africa and the sad, inhumane times of slavery to the origins of the blues. PBS has this 7 disc set for $140 but I heard it will be available Oct. 28 at retail for ~ $90 or less.

http://www.pbs.org/theblues/
MC Pee Pants