Transparent

Started by ©brad, November 04, 2014, 06:36:40 PM

©brad

This is essential viewing. I can't remember the last time I fell in love with a show so fast. In fact I feel like someone stole my brain and made this, although I'm giving myself way too much credit. I love everything about this show's universe and I can't wait to spend more time in it (thankfully it just got renewed for a second season). It's sweet and funny and sexy and dirty and honest. Jill Solloway (writer on 6 Feet Under, United States of Tara, writer/director of Afternoon Delight) is a pro and a true talent. Jeffrey Tambor is so freakin' good as is the entire cast. I wouldn't change a single thing even if I could.

Watch it at once you fools.

Jeremy Blackman

Jill Solloway was fairly insufferable in her Fresh Air interview, but I know I should be watching this. That's the extent of my contribution for now.

©brad

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on November 04, 2014, 07:11:45 PM
Jill Solloway was fairly insufferable in her Fresh Air interview, but I know I should be watching this.

Wow really? What did you find insufferable about her? I loved that interview and thought she came across humble and smart.

Jeremy Blackman

I'm exaggerating. I actually liked the interview until she tried to correct Terry Gross on her pronoun usage. Then Terry kind of shot back (correctly), and things got slightly uncomfortable. Jill Solloway is not doing the transgender cause any favors by being so reflexive and snappy about pronoun usage. Awareness about any of this is relatively new, and people are still learning how to talk about it. Relax for a minute, you're talking to Terry Gross, you're not in enemy territory. I felt like Terry was walking on ice for the rest of the interview and I kind of resented Jill Solloway for that. Probably an overreaction.

I turned off the interview shortly thereafter. Hearing her referring to her dad as "they" and "my parent" as Terry cautiously followed along was kind of exhausting. And it sounded so impersonal and alienating. We don't have an apt pronoun, but it might make more sense to say "she is my dad." Fatherhood is sort of a fact that can't be reframed; she did in fact father her. Obviously language in this situation must be an intensely personal thing, but I feel like Jill could be slightly less uptight and vigilant about pronoun usage. Maybe have a laugh about it for a second to relieve the tension, then move on. And for God's sake don't feel so defensive talking to Terry Gross. That should have been her most comfortable interview.

©brad

Hmm maybe I should listen to the interview again. I don't remember any of the hostility or testiness on Solloway's part that you're describing. I found the pronoun discussion and correction throughout informative and not snappy. Terry and Solloway even laughed at one point when Terry got the pronoun wrong.

Anyway, interview aside, the show is really great.

Mel

Borderline trolling:

On the first glance it looks like almost every third trailer for indie film (excluding horrors), where it is all about problems of people I don't and won't care in the first place. Still, there is a chance I could grab an episode - just to heckle it or contemplate on the state of us as whole.   
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ©brad on November 05, 2014, 12:26:41 PM
Hmm maybe I should listen to the interview again. I don't remember any of the hostility or testiness on Solloway's part that you're describing. I found the pronoun discussion and correction throughout informative and not snappy. Terry and Solloway even laughed at one point when Terry got the pronoun wrong.

Anyway, interview aside, the show is really great.

Hmm, perhaps you're right. I don't think I imagined all of that, but maybe I was in a bad mood while listening and projected a bit. Or maybe Jill was just nervous and it was coming across to me as something else.

My first post was meant as a random offhanded thing. Sorry for almost derailing the thread. :doh:

modage

I actually listened to this a while back and remember the awkwardness that JB is talking about.

I haven't seen "Transparent" yet beyond the pilot a while back (though am planning on it) but I was a big fan of her "Afternoon Delight."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.