Lucas Releases Software Program to Public -- Free

Started by MacGuffin, January 23, 2003, 07:18:27 PM

MacGuffin

Independent filmmakers are praising George Lucas's Industrial Light and Magic (ILM) for releasing as "open source" a software program that permits filmmakers to adjust the exposure of a scene after it has been shot without sacrificing picture quality. The program, OpenEXR has been used by ILM on Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Men in Black II, Gangs of New York, and Signs. OpenEXR currently runs on Linux, Mac (OS X), and Irix platforms. One writer on the Slashdot website commented, "Although George Lucas may have gone over to the dark side, at least some of his staff prefer freedom and light."

Download it here:
http://www.openexr.com/
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

jtm

Quote from: bigideasin layman terms, what does this do?

who care's, it's free!!!yayyyy!!!!

Ghostboy

This is really awesome.

Basically, the program controls the exposure level in an individual shot. This is something you normally do in camera with the iris, or in post production during color timing. Doing it digitally is becoming more and more commonplace (you may have seen the segment on digital grading in the LOTR extended edition documentary).

Now, with programs like Premiere and Final Cut Pro, you can always adjust the brightness and contrast. But that's a very crude method. This program looks fantastic, although I wonder how steep the learning curve is.

ReelHotGames

If your run under Linux or Mac...

Sad for us PCers who currently aren't able to use it
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm