Realism

Started by MacGuffin, April 12, 2005, 11:08:44 AM

MacGuffin

Scorsese Says Films Rooted in Realism

Martin Scorsese is known for his feature films, but classics such as "Goodfellas" and "Raging Bull" are rooted in the realism of documentaries, the director said during a visit to the Full Frame Film Festival.

Scorsese has been chairman of the festival's board since 1997. He came to Durham over the weekend for a tribute to Italian documentary filmmaker Vittorio De Seta. He also appeared at an event that featured clips from his most famous works and an audience-fueled question-and-answer session.

"The documentary is something that has fueled my work in a way that it's what we aspire to when we do the movies," the 62-year-old director said. "There's a truth and a beauty sometimes (in) people when they speak, when they move or when they remain silent. There's a power. That is something I'm always trying to achieve in my dramatic films."

He said echoes of the realism of De Seta's work can be seen in his own dramatic films. Scorsese also has tried his hand at documentaries, including "The Last Waltz" and "Italianamerican," a documentary about his parents.

Scorsese said he plans to make another documentary a film about Bob Dylan that explores the question of whether folk music can be electrified and commercialized.

In two weeks, he will begin production on his next feature movie, "The Departed," starring Leonardo DiCaprio as a Boston police officer who infiltrates Irish-American gangs.

"This is the first present-day film I've made in 20 years," Scorsese said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin"This is the first present-day film I've made in 20 years," Scorsese said.
haha, he himself discredits cape fear.

i hope he's talking about king or aft, and not the adequate, forgettable, occasionally regrettable colorm.

either way, it's a very kubrickian observation.
under the paving stones.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

I'm sure he was rounding up...or maybe it was just old age.  He likes Cape Fear.  Cape Fear was a great film, even.

As for the observation:  clearly.  Even as much so as Cassavetes I would say.  Scorsese just tends to pick outrageous/exceptional characters to follow.  He always gives them every bit the justice of reality though.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," BolaƱo says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."