the smiths / morrissey

Started by phil marlowe, March 30, 2003, 12:18:24 PM

godardian

Fantastic! I am always grateful to hear any little snippet or excerpt of the new material... and I am sufficiently impressed with the tantalizing glimpses we're offered on that site.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

A photo of Morrissey with Nancy Sinatra (they're neighbors in Hollywood)... Sinatra will be covering his song "Let Me Kiss You" (from the new album) and it's supposedly going to be released as a single and included on her new album.

I'm sure it won't seem odd to anyone that Morrissey is enchanged with Nancy Sinatra... after all, the first thing he ever did after becoming famous was resurrecting Sandie Shaw, the UK approximation of a Nancy Sinatra-like figure, by giving her songs to cover... and for those of us "Some Velvet Morning" fans out here, it's really a match made in heaven...

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Sigur Rós

What a odd couple - but interesting none the less.

godardian

Must be the most interesting Spin cover in years (possibly since the last time he was on the cover, I believe in '92):

...the article's just a regular Smiths/Morrissey primer, nicely done by a writer who's clearly a big fan, but the pictures are very cool, especially the two-page spread w/ mirrors.

MacGuffin

Just got back from the concert at The Wiltern, and it was brilliant. The new songs will be great. I likened them to the Your Arsenal album (without the surf guitar input, but still guitar and/or beat based). The stand out song was I Have Forgiven Jesus. Morrissey was in pure form with his posing and whipping/dancing with the microphone cord. But he showed signs of age on his face; his hair a bit more grey, and his stomach had a bit of bulk to it (seen better when he took off his shirt). Throughout, Morrissey played some of the well known songs and throwbacks (Everyday Is Like Sunday, Hairdresser On Fire, Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Difference, Little Man, What Now? and ended things with an awesome version of I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday - the lighting perfect). But what really got the crowd excited and singing were The Smiths songs - A Rush And A Push and There Is A Light That Never Goes Out! That'll be the closest I'll ever get to seeing The Smiths perform. The only down side was a one song encore for Irish Blood, English Heart.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

MOZ FEST!

MORRISSEY is to release 'HULMERIST' and 'THE MALADY LINGERS ON' on DVD next month.

The DVDs feature promotional videos for many of the ex-Smiths frontman's earlier solo material, including 'Everyday Is Like Sunday', 'The Last of the Famous International Playboys' and 'Glamorous Glue'.

'Hulmerist' contains footage of Morrissey's legendary gig at Wolverhampton Civic Hall in 1988.

Both films have been re-mastered and will be released on May 31. Morrissey's new album 'You Are The Quarry' will be released on May 17, preceded by new single 'Irish Heart, English Heart' on May 10.

Morrissey's also on the cover of this month's Tokion, probably the most stylish magazine ever.

www.tokion.com
context, context, context.

godardian

The new single plus all three b-sides will be available to download at the iTunes Music Store on May 4 (Tuesday). Until then, you can listen to 30-second snippets. It doesn't work if you search by "Morrissey," only if you search by "Irish Blood, English Heart."

http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/buy.html

Also, looks like he'll be on Kilborn 05/25 and 05/26. I don't like Kilborn.  :(  I do, however, like Morrissey.  :)  I'm kind of hoping he'll be on Ellen somehow.

godardian

The Morrissey websites report that Roman Coppolla directed the "Irish Blood, English Heart" video. It has a nice simplicity and elegance to it, but there's absolutely nothing particularly great about it as far as progressing the form of the music video. Still, I like it better than CQ.  :)

context, context, context.

Slick Shoes

So I just bought my first Smiths CD over the weekend, The Queen Is Dead. I don't think I ever heard them before up until about a month ago, not even once. Or perhaps I did, I just didn't know it. Actually, it was the reading of this thread that prompted me to go down to my local music store, where I was able to listen to some songs. I'll have to give the disc a few more spins (I've only listened to it once all the way through) to fully flesh out my feelings. Suffice to say I liked it very much, though. It's a good feeling when you first discover something, whether it be a band or a director, that you were largely unaware of up until that point, and it's like a whole new world opens up before you. Anyway, back to work...

godardian

Welcome to Smiths fandom, Slick Shoes! I envy you your virgin ears as they're exposed to the greatness of The Smiths. I predict your life will be changed. Next: The World Won't Listen and Strangeways, Here We Come.

There are three new one-minute sample clips up at www.morrisseymusic.com:  "I Have Forgiven Jesus," "I'm Not Sorry," and "First of the Gang to Die."

"Jesus" sounds fantastic. He's been playing "Gang" for a while, and it was definitely my favorite of the "new songs" when all that included was "Gang," "Irish Blood," "I Like You," and "Mexico" (whatever happened to "Mexico"? It always sounded like a b-side at best to me, but it seems to have completely disappeared).

godardian

I received this in an e-mail from a friend with the subject line "Morrissey is finally famous!":

Morrissey enters USA singles chart at #4

May 14, 2004   MORRISSEY ENTERS USA SINGLES CHART AT #4
"Irish Blood, English Heart" debuts on Billboard's Singles Chart

"Irish Blood, English Heart," the first single from Morrissey's forthcoming album YOU ARE THE QUARRY, has debuted at #4 on the Billboard singles chart. The stellar sales debut of Morrissey's first new recording in 7 years reflects the commitment and support of Morrissey's loyal fans and alternative radio airplay on tastemaker stations KROQ LA and WXRK NY as well as video airplay on VH1. Morrissey's recent five night stands at Los Angeles' Wiltern Theatre and New York's Apollo Theatre both sold out in minutes. The New Musical Express declared "This song is solid proof that sometimes, only rarely, the best melodies combine with the best lyrics and the best performances, and at the point where those three elements meet we find not only the perfect pop song but the perfect pop single." Rolling Stone said "The album, like Morrissey's tenor, never stops defining and reinventing itself. The world, as Morrissey leaps to declare in one song, continues to be full of crashing bores. But YOU ARE THE QUARRY is a triumph of maladjusted vitality"

Morrissey will begin a weeklong residency on The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn on Monday, May 24. He will also headline this year's installment of the Lollapalooza festival.

YOU ARE THE QUARRY is to be released on Sanctuary/Attack on May 18.

godardian

Also, on the upper right-hand corner of today's EW, one word: "Morrissey." Inside, a very nice two-page interview (he's snippy and funny in it!) with full-page photo.

Dirk

Morrissey launches scathing attack on David Bowie

Source: NME

MORRISSEY has launched a scathing attack on DAVID BOWIE during his first television interview in 17 years.

He labeled Bowie "showie", claiming that the veteran artist was a "business'". He went on to say that the public only fell in love with Ziggy Stardust, and the visuals for Ziggy were dreamt up by someone else.

Morrissey also tore strips off the artist in an interview in the April edition of GQ magazine.

"(He is) not the person he was. He is no longer David Bowie at all. Now he gives people what he thinks will make them happy, and they're yawning their heads off. And by doing that, he is not relevant. He was only relevant by accident."

The attack on the veteran artist will be broadcast tonight (May 14) on 'The Jonathan Ross Show', where the former Smiths frontman also performs two songs, current single 'Irish Blood, English Heart' and the classic 1988 single 'Everyday Is Like Sunday'.

Relations were not always tense between the two, as Bowie covered the Morrissey track 'I Know It's Going To Happen Someday' on his Black Tie White Noise album in 1993, and asked Morrissey to join him on his 1995 tour, though Morrissey left the tour before it was over.

Morrissey's new album 'You Are The Quarry' is released on Monday (May 17), following the release of the single 'Irish Blood, English Heart', which is heading for a Top Ten entry on Sunday's chart.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.