I'm building a crane!!!!

Started by Witkacy, October 31, 2003, 04:06:35 PM

Witkacy

I'm in the middle of a project and I want a crane shot.... I've built dollies etc but never a crane.... So now I'm building a crane which is a glorified seesaw... 16 ft long but it works.  Just a sideline for people.

TheVoiceOfNick

I'm not sure if I should applaude or spew warnings about what not to do... but i'm curious... tell us more about your little contraption... how will you control the camera movement on the crane?  What materials will you use to build it?  Will it have wheels?

Witkacy

Well I built furniture for 10 years so the actual engineering should be okay... like I say a glorified seesaw.  All wood lots of give....  it has wheels  and is fairly portable as long as  you have a van or minivan and all based on an industrial caster system... the only draw back.... I need 4 people to operate it.  The camera is fixed to the very end via a fluid head fix mount which allows for maximum pan and tilt.  The only reason i built it was because it cost me $300 to build and that equals a 1/2 day rental of a professional crane minus operator and van rentals etc...  Plus it's a blast to fly on the end.

anakin_e

Very cool sounding, I've been thinking of putting one together for a while now, i'd love it if you'd post a pic Witkacy. Anybody have any links for plans / designs / ideas for crane construction? or dolly construction for that matter?
"So ya, Thought ya, Might like to go to the show. To feel the warm thrill of confusion, That space cadet glow. Tell me is something eluding you sunshine? Is this not what you expected to see? If you'd like to find out what's behind these cold eyes? You'll just have to claw your way through the Disquise - "
- Pink Floyd "The Wall"

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: anakin_eVery cool sounding, I've been thinking of putting one together for a while now, i'd love it if you'd post a pic Witkacy. Anybody have any links for plans / designs / ideas for crane construction? or dolly construction for that matter?

I suggest you just buy a junior crane or dolly from B&H or something... they're very sturdy, and very professional... it'll probably save you lots of headaches in the end... now, a steadi-cam, on the other hand... i've built one of those, and it works great... cost me $12... I think I saw the link on here... not sure...

Duck Sauce

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNick
Quote from: anakin_eVery cool sounding, I've been thinking of putting one together for a while now, i'd love it if you'd post a pic Witkacy. Anybody have any links for plans / designs / ideas for crane construction? or dolly construction for that matter?

I suggest you just buy a junior crane or dolly from B&H or something... they're very sturdy, and very professional... it'll probably save you lots of headaches in the end... now, a steadi-cam, on the other hand... i've built one of those, and it works great... cost me $12... I think I saw the link on here... not sure...

i remember that link from ptaboard, I made 2 of them

Ravi

Are you able to lock the crane in one place after you move it up or down?

Witkacy

Like I said I've built furniture and designed things for many years... it is simple engineering.  But you need tools. I've tested the crane and all is fine... actually it's based on the same principle as the Swiss Jibs but cheaper since it doesn't need an operator and doesn't cost $500/day or $10000 to buy.  I just need to paint it.... make it real. Pics to come... maybe action pics of cam op falling off...????

Ghostboy

I'd love to see some picks, myself. I've always wanted to build one, since I generally can't afford to rent one for small projects.

jtm

please!! show us a pic of ur contraption!!  i've never even thought about building a crane/jib but it sounds like a good idea.  i'm mechanically inept tho and need something to go on.

Pedro

go touch of evil style and rent a garbage truck and a forklift