Film vs Dv

Started by Witkacy, October 01, 2003, 03:54:50 PM

SoNowThen

Interesting point of view. I've used pretty much every kind of post (including horrid 3/4 deck to 3/4 deck), and I'll take the AVID over anything. No choice. It's nice to hold film in your hand, but not so nice when you try an editing strategy that doesn't quite work, and you're re-taping bits and pieces from everywhere. Plus I had to do all the logging before we sent our cuts to the lab (for dissolves and fades and so on), and it was a nightmare process.

But I like your outlook about shooting on film and really making your eye do more work. That is a good point.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Witkacy

Sorry to say but I'm not quite sure what a 3/4 deck to deck or what AVID is, I've always edited on a Steenbeck.  Taping bits of film together is only a horror show if you're shooting in reversal.  If you have a neg and an editing role then there's no problem.  Ultimately it's all throw away and you use a neg cutter to put together what you've edited.   Editing in 16 should not be a bad experience but liberating.. it makes you think about every frame and how to shoot. No excess.

Recce

I don't think there's anything wrong with shooting for the sake of shooting. I would hope that if someone makes a video or film, its because they truly enjoy it. Pleasing the audience should come second. I've shot maybe a dozen projects on video over the years and two on film. Film came after. What's the point of spending a fortune to make your mistakes when you can shoot with a video camera, get better at the production aspect of it, then shoot on film when you're more experienced. I have quite a few projects that I've swept under the rug. It pisses me off, but I'd be kicking myself if i'd spent cash on film and it turned out crappy.

I will admit, however, that you do get a bit lazy when i comes to pre-production when you shoot with video. I always go in and shoot way more then I need, just in case and I always end up using some of it in post. If I had started with film, I probly would have learned to storyboard better and put together more thorough shot lists.

But whatever, I'm not broke in the process. Guess it'll just have to be a habit I'll need to break.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

kotte

Dialogue question here.

I don't know if I'm crazy here but I was just thinking...

say The Big Lebowski, would that work if it was shot on video, the dialogue I mean.

Don't you think a film shot on video have to sound realistic for it to work?
The dialogue in TBL is beautiful but far from realistic.

I have a hard time believing that film would work if shot like, sy, Roger Doger.

Do you get what I mean? I don't blame you if you don't...I'm fairly drunk and over-analytic right now...

Cecil

Quote from: kotteDon't you think a film shot on video have to sound realistic for it to work?

i dont think so

Recce

I have to admit, both my projects I shoot on reversal film. It was a bitch. The image was too dark on the steinbeck and I had to count frames all the time. The longest one was 2 minutes and I edited digital first and it still took me 9 hours jsut to cut it all up. Can you imagine if I had done my entire editing on it? I would still be there.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men

mutinyco

Man, people are getting lazy today... People can't imagine actually cutting films on Steenbecks or Moviolas. Think about the work and time that went into that process. We're talking about virtually everything made from the time the industry was standardized up until the early to mid-90s. Spielberg still uses a Moviola.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Recce

I admit, there is a certain romantic quality to physically cutting your film, but DV is much better. Improvement is improvement. I mean, if you had to choose between a 15 year old car and a brand new car, which one would you take? Non-linear editing is the evolution of analog editing.

mutinyco

Analog editing was always non-linear. Linear editing is when you're going tape to tape. But yes, digital non-linear is an improvement over cutting and splicing.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe