Godzilla

Started by MacGuffin, March 29, 2010, 04:14:07 PM

MacGuffin

'Godzilla' Sequel in the Works at Warner Bros., Legendary Pictures
Goal was to re-brand property in 'Tiffany way,' says studio exec
Source: Variety

Warner Bros. and Legenday Pictures faced monster skepticism from fanboys, but after scoring nearly $200 million this weekend at the global box office, the two companies are moving forward with what they anticipated would happen: a "Godzilla" sequel.

"It's very validating," Legendary president and chief creative officer Jon Jashni spoke to Variety of the film's opening.

"You can't ask for a better situation when you have a group of people, who were perhaps expecting to be let down were impressed," Jashni added. "It all lines up when that eco-system aligns and starts feeding off itself."

As a principle hurdle in the re-making of "Godzilla," Jashni said the filmmakers were faced with massive pre-existing doubt toward the property, originating from the critically lambasted 1998 Sony remake.

Though in respect to the Warner-Legendary version's franchise potential, Jashni said that was always part of the conversation.

"Our initial goal was to re-brand and re-establish the property in a Tiffany way," Jashni said. "Now, we're trying to take in all of the results of the weekend."

Legendary financed 75% of the $160 million-budgeted tentpole, with Warner accounting for the rest. Both companies split marketing costs.

"Godzilla" overperformed domestically this weekend, with a boffo $93 million. Meanwhile, the film bowed day-and-date in 64 overseas territories, where it collected $103 million. Pic expands to China on June 13, followed by Japan, though local distrib Toho holds rights to the film in that territory.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Lottery

Edwards should take a break, make something else and then return to the franchsie, Nolan-style. He was smart to make The Prestige and Inception between the Batmovies.

EDIT:

@Folks on the previous page, I'm kinda pissed cut away from monster fight scenes twice  in the film. The first time, they had the most incredible buildup and then they showed him on TV- in a way that was almost comical. Second time, there was also a cool sense of drama to it but they really did force the Kaiju blue-balls. It did pay off in the final act though.
Also, just realised this film is about the world's biggest cockblock.

pete

it's weird when so many ordinary people who are not fanboys or nerds are all more collectively concerned about whether they got Godzilla "right" than whether or not it's good or fun. most of the praises I've heard were just about how correctly Godzilla has been depicted.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Drenk

There is this article from The Dissolve which is interesting, I agree with it. I liked the film, even if I don't necessarily want to watch it again.

http://thedissolve.com/features/exposition/566-godzilla-the-first-post-human-blockbuster/
Ascension.

pete

it feels like there is almost a talking points memo for all these people who are just so stoked by what this film DOESN'T have. And the post that you linked defends a bad movie with the time-honored "BUT THAT'S THE POINT!" tactic. a boring piece talking about a boring movie - with so much devotion, effort and intelligence that it's almost offensive (both the movie and the piece.)
- Buster Keaton

jenkins

pete i'm so happy you mentioned the article continues to be boring, because i'm multitabbing and thank you. found a quote i thought described the piece and godzilla

QuoteThese failures are so extraordinary

i like what he's saying in a kinda 30s ad-sheet way. oooh you know what, i think he writes preponedly to mad men. before the mad man meeting

then also, someone had much to love in godzilla, and they wanted to write about it for a while. good. good movie. for movies to conquer the globe everyone must know we make these for them, dogs, monsters, etc. everyone

i had a lot of faith in this and you guys are making me want to never watch this movie. i mean i feel like im going to be so disappointed something bad will happen to me, physically.

jenkins

i don't always date the person you'll marry, you know. you might marry godzilla

diggler

Everything Pete says makes sense, yet I still loved the movie. This is exactly what I expected the director of Monsters to deliver.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

polkablues

Quote from: diggler on May 19, 2014, 06:17:36 PM
This is exactly what I expected the director of Monsters to deliver.

This is actually the first thing anyone here has said that makes me wary. Monsters is a misunderstood masterpiece.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

He loved the movie though.
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

Yeah, but if he loved it for being the opposite of what Monsters was, that's concerning to me, because I would love for it to be along the lines of what Monsters was.

EDIT: Disregard everything I'm saying. I'm an illiterate idiot without basic reading comprehension skills. Faith in the movie restored!
My house, my rules, my coffee

tpfkabi

I chose this movie to finally check out a theater with $1.50 first run movies. They only have one showing each night Mon-Thurs and 2 showings nightly Friday-Sunday. The main thing keeping me away is the distance. If the experience sucked at least it would be a movie I didn't expect much from.
I was pleasantly surprised by both movie and theater.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

pete

I remember waging a great battle in 2003 on Xixax in which I railed against Lost in Translation and everyone on the board collectively joined in to teach me some manners. It was one of the few instances in which I felt like i was in the right, despite the overwhelming variety of contrary opinions, some of them from very intelligent folks, and then one day Christopher Doyle shat on the film in the same way that I did, which was all the vindication I needed. It is now 11 years later, I'm still a child in many ways, and I've now began my process to wait for a Christopher Doyle figure to vindicate/ articulate my distaste for Godzilla. It is like the first movie I felt this strongly negatively about since Lost in Translation, though I did pretend to hate Crash as much as everyone else here did.
- Buster Keaton

wilder

For context (through page 18)