nine inch nails

Started by Sleuth, April 13, 2003, 12:14:43 PM

RegularKarate

Thanks for the link...

so far, it's pretty bland, but I will need a few more listens before I can make a final decision.

I set myself up to be dispointed and so far, I'm not as disapointed as I was afraid I was going to be.

EDIT: I just finished listening to the whole thing...

:(

Pubrick

Quote from: RegularKarateEDIT: I just finished listening to the whole thing...

:(
it's no curb.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Okay...

Three listens (I'm on the third here) and it's better to me than the first time through.  I think the first time through was just disapointment.  It doesn't flow like the other albums and it's not as thematic.  It's just a bunch of songs on a record.

Now I've kind of picked up on what he's doing here and I'm accepting it for what it is.  With that in mind.  Here is the track-breakdown after three listens (sure to change).

ALL THE LOVE IN THE WORLD
Great opening song.  Different.  The only real problem with this is that it gets you ready for an album that doesn't exist instead of the album you actually get afterward.

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE
Classic NIN.  Good listen.  Aggressive... kind of ministryish (ministry has a song with the same title, too), but not a ripoff.  The whole album could have been like this and it would have really worked well.  This albums sound works with this kind of song.  Brilliant use of the vocal cutout effect that a lot of bands don't know how to properly steal from NIN.

THE COLLECTOR
The opening of this sounds like it's just fucking around... like it doesn't know what it's doing at all.  The keyboarduitars kick in and it comes together a little better, but it doesn't ever reach a point where the song grabs me at all.  Overall, pretty boring.

THE HAND THAT FEEDS
We've all heard this one.  I didn't like it originally, but it grew on me.  The synth bridge is fantastic (though my friend pointed out that it kind of sounds like he just took the synth bridge from Dracula's Wedding and slowed it down).

LOVE IS NOT ENOUGH
Now this one just sounds like Filth Pig era Ministry, but it doesn't even sound that good.

EVERY DAY IS EXACTLY THE SAME
This one starts out as pop-love-song done with that pattented heavy/morbid synth sound.  At first, I was having trouble deciding if this was funny or good or bad, but the song turns into something else about halfway through and it's very listenable, though it has the same weakness that a lot of songs on Fragile have... a repetative build up that doesn't really go anywhere.

WITH TEETH
"With-ah Teeth-ah" - The first three minutes of this is just boring sequences then it pulls back and turns into what could turn out to be something really good, but just pops back into the same crap.  

ONLY
The first time I listened to this, I thought "my god, this is the most lazy NIN song I've heard in my entire life"... it almost made me sick.  Now I'm starting to actually warming up to it.  I really like the acoustic guitar turned synth bit... sounds really cool.  

GETTING SMALLER
This is one of the three songs that leaked first.  I didn't like it at first, but now that I've listened to the album, it really fits.  This song works on this album.

SUNSPOTS
I'm not going to dismiss this one right away, but my initial feeling on this one is it's the weakest song on the album.  My only problem with saying that is that this one's really reaching to be something different so maybe I need to listen to it more often.

THE LINE BEGINS TO BLUR
This one pretty much sounds like it could have been on Fragile.  Nothing especially new or impressive, but certainly not unlistenable.

BESIDE YOU IN TIME
I really like this song.  This is the sound I really wanted to hear on this album... he really explores and fucks with sound on this one... good track and actually leads you into the next song...

RIGHT WHERE IT BELONGS
...which is excellent.  It's music is simple, but it mirrors the emotion of the vocals perfectly, it fades in and out beautifully.  It's like he's sadly playing noise (the way a NIN song should be).

Sleuth

I can't believe how much my hope for this record has been hinging on your posts, RK (even though you think DS is better than Fragile)
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

I hope that I don't fugg up your impression of this record too much.

Overall, there are some great songs, but it flows like boulders through a garden hose.

And Downward is SO much better than Frag.

modage

so RK, how do you rank the new one compared to The Fragile?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

With only three listenings I really can't solidly rank it, but as it stands right now, it's definitely not as good as Fragile.

I think my current ranking might go like this:

Downward Spiral
Broken/Fixed
Fragile
With Teeth
Pretty Hate Machine

Keep in mind, the only thing truly constant on my NIN album rankings is Downward Spiral being the best.

mogwai

click on the image to get to the link

those who have a mac and the other stuff, please download it and tell me what it is. thanks.

Sleuth

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWOWOWOWOW I NEED A MAC

you know who you are :yabbse-wink:
I like to hug dogs

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Two Lane Blacktop

Was I the only one who seriously loved The Fragile?

i  love the album also.   i was so fucking excitied when it came out-snatched it up day one.  i still think its the best thing they have done.  i like all of the songs with the exception being starfuckers .   RK has a problem about not knowing which is the superior album [i.e. lateralus>aenima!!!] :yabbse-wink:

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: Two Lane Blacktop

Was I the only one who seriously loved The Fragile?

i  love the album also.   i was so fucking excitied when it came out-snatched it up day one.  i still think its the best thing they have done.

:yabbse-thumbup:

A friend of mine turned up with a song called Home that I thought was going to be on With Teeth.  Does anyone know if it's a planned B-side?

RegularKarate

I think he mentioned that he wasn't gonna do a lot of B-sides... he wants to do another album a lot sooner this time so he's saving a lot of the songs he didn't put on this for that one.

This album is totally growing on me, btw.  Still not great compared to the others, but minus a few songs, I'm really into it.

--and Neon, the fact that the only song you don't like off Fragile is one of the better songs on the record shows why you're so confused about which album is better than the other.

MacGuffin

Quote from: hacksparrowA friend of mine turned up with a song called Home that I thought was going to be on With Teeth.  Does anyone know if it's a planned B-side?

From what I've found, I think it's a bonus track on the dual disc edition (if not the regular edition also), along with two other tracks.

And I'm with RK on Downward being the best album.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The With Teeth link doesn't work anymore.

Anyone else know where to get it?

Also, I think DS was the best, but Fragile would be second on my list.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye