The Canon: Boogie Nights vs. There Will Be Blood

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, July 11, 2016, 01:31:56 PM

Fuzzy Dunlop

modage

Xixax should really listen to this. I'm about halfway through and find myself just wanting to SCREAM every minute or so.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

I don't think I can listen to this.
I love reading Devin Faraci's reviews (and rants... he has good rants sometimes). I agree with his written shit so often it's scary (as long as it's not comic-book related, I just don't have that comic juice), but I can't listen to the podcast. His personality on that show gets on my nerves something fierce. He's always talking a big game about equality and sexism on BMD, but he treats Amy like crap. He's always talking over her and dismissing her opinions. It's just frustrating.

©brad

Well I don't want to listen to it either, but can someone sum up the argument he's making?

i jumped around it a little bit and it just sounds like a bunch of obnoxious bs

modage

A few things that stuck with me:

Amy keeps insisting that PTA is a jerk in real-life based primarily on stories of him being "difficult to work with" from 20 years ago (Rysher, Burt Reynolds, etc.)

Devin keeps saying Boogie Nights has a happy ending. Everybody knows Boogie Nights is the ultimate happy-sad ending.

Amy says Dano's performance is better than DDL's in TWBB.

There's more, as I said, about once a minute I wanted to stop it and interject something. It's probably just the 'ol Xixax thing where we know these movies inside and out, better than most of the people discussing them.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.