Started by Rudie Obias, August 01, 2004, 09:43:18 PM

pete

I was in Chinatown two days ago and saw a bunch of DVDs already released, amongst them House of Flying Daggers, but no 2046.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

evaderhead

so as i am in China mainland(chinese that I am),I saw 2046 a month ago,it confirmed my idea that Wang wasn't shooting films for the audiances everytime but for himself.often, we saw one single feeling(may be very peronal to him)floating into a longplaying film.He used to do good,i especially like Happy Together.but 2046, to me just a emotional continuation of In The Mood For Love,wasn't that satisfying.
You'll see me one more time if you do good,
and you'll seeme two more times if you do bad.

pete

I think if Wong KarWai wasn't making it for himself then it woulda been like 4 hours long.
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Quote from: rudieobhttp://www.ocean-films.com/2046/videos2.htm

is the trailer, the subtitles are in french.  enjoy!

Trailer with English subtitles:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

samsong

Anyone who hasn't seen this yet, PLEASE wait till you get a chance to see it projected on a screen instead of opting to watch the bootleg DVD from Vietnam or wherever the fuck my friend's dad bought it for.  The inability to be patient comes with consequences.  I know Hedwig posted a(n indirect) warning about the DVD already but, well, my friend had it so there you go...

2046 starts off with such raw poetry and kinetic energy that I thought I was going to die.  It sets everything up beautifully, but I felt that from that point on it begins and continues to come undone for the rest of its running time.  That doesn't go to say that this film isn't any good; I still liked it a little less than what would normally be a loved-it-status movie.  Wong Kar Wai's improvisational style of filmmaking is at its best and worst here -- what works works amazingly well, what doesn't fails just out of reach of being overlookable.  It meanders a bit and has a countless number of digressions, some of which feel superfluous, even distracting.  WKW seemed more concerned with moments than the film as a whole, but that's what the film is about so I guess it works... I would've preferred it to be a little more consistent and not decrescendo the way it did.  

There is, however, the chance that my opinion/viewing experience was skewed because I saw such a bad "print" of it.  I'll definitely be checking this out once it's released.  What compelled Wong Kar Wai to make a science fiction film is beyond me but I'm kind of glad he did; it would be interesting to see him go completely for sci-fi instead of making it a frame story (is that an appropriate term for what the sci-fi part of the film was?).   Wong captures the plight of a writer very well, direct but poignant and nothing short of the truth.  His expressionistic take on unrequited love is heartbreaking yet transcendent.  Like I said I'll have to see this in a theater but for now I really, really like this film.  A lot.

pete

I thought the writer's plight was just a side note in the movie though.  it was mainly about the guy's love affairs, how each lover revealed a different side of Mr. Chu, and his painful longing for the Maggine Cheung character.  It's a study of loneliness, from the cause all the way to the aftermath.
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

Before I came to this thread and read the warnings about the HK DVD, a friend of mine had already rented it and we were planning on watching it tonight. Then I read what Samsong wrote above, and we decided to hold off...but we DID watch the first five minutes, just to see how bad it was. UGGGHHH!!! It was tantalizing! Why hasn't a US distributor picked this up yet?

I've been listening to the soundtrack nonstop lately.

Ghostboy

So there's a new international DVD out now, with a good transfer and everything. I watched it tonight and...

..well, suffice to say, it's my new favorite Wong Kar Wai film. Breathtaking is a pretty good word for it.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: GhostboySo there's a new international DVD out now, with a good transfer and everything. I watched it tonight and...

..well, suffice to say, it's my new favorite Wong Kar Wai film. Breathtaking is a pretty good word for it.

What was your favorite before it?

A friend of mine accidentally ordered 2 copies of this (hopefully it's this good copy) so I'm getting his extra!  Time to start selling blood to get the Wong box set as well.

Ghostboy

In The Mood For Love, although Fallen Angels sometimes slips up there when I'm feeling a bit more hyper.

Two Lane Blacktop

Just watched 2046 today, and wow... it wasn't at all what I was expecting, but I loved it.  

The nuances were just incredible.  I'll have to see it again to follow ALL of the little threads of the story- I did get a little confused once or twice- but overall, an amazing film.

2LB
Body by Guinness

analogzombie

Quote from: GhostboySo there's a new international DVD out now, with a good transfer and everything. I watched it tonight and...

which dvd release? are you talking about the Meh-Ah NTSC edition? How are the subtitles?
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: analogzombie
which dvd release? are you talking about the Meh-Ah NTSC edition? How are the subtitles?

I know you weren't asking me, but this is the release I have, and the subtitles looked good and were always easy to read.  (Now, if you mean "how was the translation," you're way over my head!   :yabbse-grin:  )

2LB
Body by Guinness

modage

Quote from: Pubrickis the recent fascination with asian cinema the first time america has experienced a behind-the-times phase? i can't remember any other time when the rest of the world got so much shit before them.

i've decided (and i have no idea why) that i really want to see this movie.  but the only way to see it anytime soon looks to be that new region 0 dvd.  http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/2046.htm (i assume this is the one ghostboy is talking about because the quality is much better).  however, i dont really need to own it as i dont have any region 0 dvds or anything like that so i basically just want to 'rent' it.  

so what i propose, for anyone else interested is if anyone else wants to chip in a few bucks basically to get this thing and then i'll watch it and mail it to you, and you can keep it. or if there are a few of you who are interested just in seeing it we'll basically all pitch in like 5 bucks or whatever and a dollar to ship it between us.  so it'd basically be like renting it, especially if it only costs like 13$ to buy in the first place.  http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003829424/code-c/version-all/section-videos/did-106/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

If no one else wants in - I'm down.