KEVIN SMITH

Started by cowboykurtis, April 04, 2003, 09:56:02 PM

Myxo

Quote from: ©brad1. your wife ain't that hot.
2. you know you're at a low point in your career when you do stupid shit like that.
3. the passion of the clerks is a ridiculous title and will inevitably suck.
4. smith needs a break like ben stiller does.
5. yes i'm in a bad mood.

1. His wife looks like a crack whore.
2. Yep
3. Sure is..
4. He needs to actually stop creating View Askew titles. God, let it go.
5. Me too..

cine

READ THIS ARTICLE:

Silent Bob loves CTV's Degrassi: Kevin Smith plans to act in three-episode arc

Jay and Silent Bob are coming to Canada. And they plan to visit Degrassi high school.

Indie American filmmaker Kevin Smith (Clerks, Mallrats, Jersey Girl) has made no secret over the years of his love of the long-running Canadian TV franchise, and has even included references to it in his films featuring those slacker/stoner characters Jay (Jason Mewes) and Silent Bob (Smith).

After his offers to direct and/or write for the show were declined (sorry, he was told, Degrassi is 100 per cent Canadian content and that would jeopardize their Telefilm funding) it was agreed he could act in three episodes. So he'll be playing a dual role: a visiting director and the mute Silent Bob character he plays in his films.

''It's the easiest job in the world because I have to play myself but I play a fictionalized version of myself where I've been successful,'' Smith quipped Wednesday during a photo-op visit to the north-end Toronto studios of Epitome Productions where Degrassi is shot. ''I pretend I'm a little different version of me.''

The droll director posed with cast members and happily accepted an ''official'' Degrassi High lettered cardigan sweater, which he promised to wear to bed with his wife.

The script's pretext for the Degrassi visit is that Smith is shooting a new film, Jay and Silent Bob Go Canadian, in which the characters require a high-school diploma but no school in the U.S. will accept them, so they come to Toronto.

''I'm just angry that I didn't think of that first and shoot that picture,'' he said. ''So we actually may wind up making that movie one day because I'm incredibly charmed by that notion.''

Admitting to a long-standing crush on the show's character Caitlin Ryan (Stacie Mistysyn), Smith revealed that the onscreen version of himself is single and that he might be pursuing her in the storyline - something, he conceded, that he hasn't yet cleared with his real-life spouse. But he revealed that Mewes would be joining him on the episodes, adding that he might also try to get actor-friend Ben Affleck to show up.

''Affleck, honestly, could use the work right now. What better way to reboot your career than starring in a Canadian melodrama?''

Smith is planning to start another real Jay and Silent Bob film - a Clerks sequel - early next year, about the time his Degrassi arc will be airing on CTV.

As to whether the Degrassi experience will become part of the film series, he said that was an interesting question.

''That'd be awesome. I might throw in a reference, like, 'We just got back from Canada. Here are our degrees.' ''

The Jersey boy readily heaped praise on Degrassi, recalling how, as far back as 1990, he was working in a convenience store on Sunday mornings and, in order to maintain his sanity, would catch episodes of the Degrassi High and Junior High forerunners which were then airing on PBS.

''So I just kind of fell in love with the show,'' he said, adding that growing up was never depicted so accurately on television.

''I loved the story arcs and I also love challenging material . . . such a great alternative to most of the crap that's on American TV.''

The new Degrassi is now the flagship show on Noggin, a teen-oriented cable channel in the U.S., and cast members have become so well known they were mobbed during a recent cross-country publicity tour of U.S. malls.

I found this out cause my TV guide has 'Jay and Silent Bob' on the cover with one of the show's characters. I'll scan it later. It must be seen.

Ravi

I always said that Kevin Smith would end up directing episodes of Degrassi.

SHAFTR

What is with him being on the commentary for the new Donnie Darko DVD?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

RegularKarate

Quote from: RaviI always said that Kevin Smith would end up directing episodes of Degrassi.

you were wrong:

Quote from: The Articlehis offers to direct and/or write for the show were declined (sorry, he was told, Degrassi is 100 per cent Canadian content and that would jeopardize their Telefilm funding)

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: RaviI always said that Kevin Smith would end up directing episodes of Degrassi.

That's even funnier because of your avatar.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SHAFTRWhat is with him being on the commentary for the new Donnie Darko DVD?

Quote from: DVDFile's reviewSmith had no involvement whatsoever with the production of this movie, but is apparently a friend of Kelly's and a big supporter of the movie. Personally, I am not a fan of any of Smith's films (I outright despise most of them, in fact), but I can't deny that he's an intelligent guy capable of expressing himself coherently. Kelly uses the track to point out the differences between the theatrical cut and the Director's Cut, and goes into quite a lot of detail about his specific ideas for what the movie's mythology is all about. Smith helps talk him through some of the gaps in the conversation (this is Kelly's third commentary for the feature, after all) and acts as a useful foil not afraid to bust Kelly's chops about some of his more pretentious ideas. Towards the end of the track Smith asks Kelly a series of questions posed by fans.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

I borrowed the Clerks cartoon DVD a few weeks ago, and it was extremely funny.  I wish it was on for more than 6 episodes.

SHAFTR

Quote from: RaviI borrowed the Clerks cartoon DVD a few weeks ago, and it was extremely funny.  I wish it was on for more than 6 episodes.

agreed.  It was very good considering that is only 6 episodes.  If the network would have given it time, I'm sure it could have grown to become even better.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

jtm

Pubrick

Quote from: JTMKevin Smith has far too much time on his hands...
why is he replying with detailed description of his earnings to sum retard on a rottentomatoes board?

wow. how lame can a person be.
under the paving stones.

jtm

Quote from: Pubrick

wow. how lame can a person be.

i thought so too... did you read the rest of the thread? the funniest part is all the people that told him he and his movies suck.  and he just kept coming back for more.

and if anyone doubts it was really him, make sure to check the link at the bottom of his first post.

Brazoliange

http://moviesaskew.com/SecretStash/eat

heh.

Kevin CONFIRMS Degrassi Directing Gig!

-Well, here's one that came in out of nowhere today -- You may recall that CTV ran a story in Canada a few weeks back, stating that Kevin was lined up to direct a feature film based on the Degrassi series. After we ran the piece, Kevin was strangely silent on the topic, which led us to believe there might very well be some truth to the left-field rumor after all.

Today, CTV has that confirmation. In a piece Kevin taped for their entertainment program, in which you get a look inside his plush trailer where he's residing between "Catch And Release" takes, Kevin very nonchalantly REVEALS that he indeed WILL direct a Degrassi feature, at least, that's the plan -- Originally scheduled for the end of the summer, the project's been bumped back a few months to get the script in order. So, we're EXPECTING that Clerks 2 will come up on schedule, followed by the Degrassi gig, then into "Ranger Danger". Don't quote us on that. Just our guess.

Source: News Askew
Long live the New Flesh

MacGuffin

Two Thumbs Up: Roeper and Kevin Smith

Word from Kevin Smith on his online diary is that he will be sitting in as a guest critic on Ebert and Roeper next week, subbing in for Roger Ebert, who is still recovering following post-surgery complications. Smith says he and Richard Roeper will be discussing The Ant Bully, Talledega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, Miami Vice, Barnyard, and perhaps World Trade Center.

Ebert and Roeper taped six episodes ahead of his surgery, to cover his absence, but the complication of a burst blood vessel requiring emergency surgery has kept the big guy down longer than he anticipated (and, no doubt, he's itching to get out of that hospital bed and back into the balcony). It was announced about a week ago that several guest critics would be invited to fill Ebert's shoes until he's well enough to return. Ebert is still (so far as we know) in Northwestern Hospital, and is reported to be improving.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi