The Walking Dead

Started by modage, July 22, 2010, 09:26:52 AM

modage

AMC Upcoming Original Series: The Walking Dead

AMC has greenlit The Walking Dead as a six-episode series based on the comic book written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics. The Walking Dead tells the story of life following a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, traveling in search of a safe and secure home. Andrew Lincoln (Love Actually, Teachers, Strike Back) will portray the lead role of Rick Grimes while actor Jon Bernthal (The Pacific, The Ghost Writer) will portray the character Shane, who worked with Rick in the police department before the zombie disaster. Other cast includes Laurie Holden (The Shield), who plays Andrea, one of two sisters who join the survivors of the zombie plague, Steven Yeun as Glenn, an expert scavenger and Sarah Wayne Callies (Prison Break), who plays Rick's wife Lori.

The Walking Dead begins production in June in Atlanta with six, one-hour episodes for season one. The series is set to premiere in October 2010 during AMC Fearfest, the network's annual blockbuster marathon of thriller and horror films. AMC announced development of The Walking Dead in August 2009 and announced the pilot in January of this year.

http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/

I'm almost caught up to the comic.  I am really really excited for this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

hey mod, what about Rubicon? what have you heard/seen about it?? will it be another good show at amc?

modage

I'm not really sure!  I saw an early cut of the pilot (twice) but haven't had a chance to watch the final cut they aired after the Breaking Bad finale.  I'm planning on watching it though when it premieres next week.  You can watch it now on AMC TV or download it for free on iTunes.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

modage

AMC's epic 'The Walking Dead' trailer, premiere date
Source: Hollywood Reporter

It's here. This is nearly the same four-minute-plus trailer for "The Walking Dead" that AMC screened for fans at Comic-Con last month.

Since then, I've been a relentless blogger zombie lumbering after AMC reps to bring this to Live Feed readers in its original full-length "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" glory. You can just feel producer-director Frank Darabont's style all over this, and fans of Robert Kirkman's original comic book are optimistic.

Also, some exclusive news -- "The Walking Dead" premiere date, which is pitch perfect.

The show will launch Sunday, October 31st. That's right, Halloween night. And the first episode will be supersized to 90 minutes. The series will premiere during AMC's Fearfest, the network's annual marathon of thriller and horror films. Fearfest is celebrating its 14th year by airing 14 consecutive days of themed programming.

Love zombies? Hate zombies? Don't matter. People are going to be talking about "The Walking Dead" and you need to watch this:

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/08/the-walking-dead-trailer-video.html

Pubrick

Quote from: modage on August 24, 2010, 11:58:57 AM
Love zombies? Hate zombies? Don't matter. People are going to be talking about "The Walking Dead" and you need to watch this:

i think the only reason will be talking about this show is to ask the question: WHY THE FUCK IS THIS ZOMBIE THING STILL GOING???

no one cares about zombies, they are finished. this show seems to prove it by looking like it was shot on a $20 budget. if it makes money and gets a following its because the only ppl still giving a shit about this genre are about as braindead as zombies themselves and there is no shortage of those in the world.

at some point the zombie thing has become a commentary on the indefatigable genre itself. JUST LET IT DIE.
under the paving stones.

modage

Nope.  Changing the medium breathes new life into it.  Plus, the focus of the series is really on the characters.  Zombies are a constant threat but it's about survival and how it changes people.  More like The Road than Zombieland. 

Stefen

It looks great, small budget and all. AMC is doing big things.

The comic series is really really great up until the 40th issue or so. Like Mod said, the series is really more about the people and how they psychologically deal with the situation. The trailer seemed to just highlight what happens in the first 10 pages of the very first issue.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

AMC is really the only reason I'm into this.  If I had seen that trailer and it weren't a show on AMC, I would probably not care.

Gamblour.

They've been filming this show around here for the past few months, and that actor has been stopping by the coffee shop I work at. He's British, if you remember him in Love Actually, and when I realized he was playing the main character, I wondered if he was listening to my accent. I don't really have one, and I'm sure he wasn't, but he was super nice and thanked me 5x more than the average customer. It made me think he was listening to hear how I said "You're welcome."

Aside from that, I'm amazed how boring this trailer was. Some of the shots look inspired, but overall the direction seems really pedestrian.
WWPTAD?

polkablues

I just read the whole run of the comic so far, and while Robert Kirkman is a terrible writer of dialogue (there is no subtext; every character says exactly what they mean to communicate at all times), he is a fine plotter, and the story is very bold in its approach to the realism of the situation and in how willing he is to prove the point that no character is safe.  So I'm intrigued.  I'll watch the show.  I'll be curious to see how slavishly they follow the storyline of the comic, or if they'll actually branch out on their own.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

They branch out. I went to the comic-con panel today with Kirkman and Darabont and they both agreed they would always use a better idea if it presented itself and fit within the fabric of the series. And having seen the pilot and a scene from episode 2, they have already made some diversions. 

polkablues

That's good.  I was afraid the show would lose all impact from my knowing exactly when and how each character dies.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I really just hate how zombies are a genre.  Night of the Living Dead was a horror film, not a zombie flick.  But then successive knock offs of the idea "Let's do another ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE."  How many fucking times can we glimpse into the future and see how people may or may not survive the end of the world with zombies running around?

For fuck's sake, there is no originality breathed in this.  Let's not kid ourselves that zombie apocalypse is somehow unfamiliar territory.  If you want to consider a new angle on zombie films, let's discuss "I Walked With A Zombie" which incidentally predates all this fucking zombie knock off garbage anyway.

I read the first couple books of Walking Dead, being an avid comic fan and a lot of my friends suggesting "If you like comics, you'll LOVE Walking Dead."  Who the fuck connects those two?  There is little if any redeeming value of this book.  It's a "page turner" in the sense that the conversations themselves are brain dead (PERHAPS TO ILLUSTRATE HOW THE HUMANS THEMSELVES ARE ZOMBIES?  SEE ALSO - ZOMBIELAND, IT'S A REALLY FUNNY MOVIE).  But all in all, the art is fair and nothing inspiring comes about.  It's what you'd expect Image to print, and it doesn't disappoint on that angle.

At this point, it's just as passe to voice an opinion on how dead the zombie genre is.  Because, yeah, it's totally valid to point out that it's xeroxed itself into a wipe of the same script over and over, but at the same time, a shit ton of people still eat it up.  In fact, the very irony that zombies devour brains and in turn produce more zombies is incredibly poignant.

But you simply can't stop fanboys at heart.  Whatever it is that you guys love about zombies, I wish you the very best in this show.  I mean, Frank Darabont isn't horrible and lord knows I would watch this under a variety of other circumstances, but this hype is really like vinegar in my eyes.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

polkablues

I don't give a fuck about zombies one way or another, I just liked the books and hope the tv show will be entertaining.