something. that is true but no one .admits..

Started by NEON MERCURY, October 23, 2003, 07:03:19 PM

SHAFTR

My criticism for most of Lynch's work is that it has no soul, no feeling.  I think Mulholland Dr & Straight Story are the exceptions.

Although, I guess I have only seen Blue Velvet & Wild at Heart (and the above).  So he is 2/4 in my book.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Alethia

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Find Your MagaliThe Straight Story is a sweet film. Dare I say, a near-perfect little film.
not to say I didn't enjoy the few films I have seen of his...but I just don't get giddy.  Maybe I need to see Mull Drive though.

Kal

ok probably nobody here will like what i have to say and think i have no idea about movies... but frankly... muholland drive SUCKS!

i didnt like the movie... yes i do think the directing was great... and i admire lynch... but i was hoping to see the movie and be very impressed.. like when i saw magnolia or punch drunk love, or the matrix, or many others...

i hated it!

cine

Did you understand the story and what was going on?

Kal

i did understand it... i did watch it again just in case... i though it was ok, but i dont know, maybe i was expecting more after so much buzz about it...

one good thing i can say about the movie is: naomi watts, great performance by her...

cine

Anyhow, my question was bogus; the film was purely surreal so there wasn't much of a story to understand.
That's my take on the whole "Boo Mulholland Dr." stuff.. you either hate surrealist works or you cream your pants over it. I'm a big Bunuel buff so I loved Mulholland Dr... the majority of his work, however, I can do without.

Kal

dunno... it just wasnt one of those movies that i think about for weeks... or months... and wait anxious for the dvd to come out... yada yada yada...

ono

I criticize both David Lynch and Steven Spielberg equally.  Er, Spielberg a little more than Lynch, because I actually respect what Lynch tries to do with film.  I love Bunuel, but Mulholland Drive, while somewhat beautiful, was a mess.  And Blue Velvet was only a mess.  Dune was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.  Still, I can't wait to get a chance to see Wild at Heart, or Eraserhead, or any of the other stuff of Lynch's I haven't seen.  And to Lynch's credit, I'll never have that sort of anticipation for anything Spielberg makes.

Banky

Ebert said that there wasnt a plot and you werent suppose to understand it

The inside of the DVD has clues to understanding the movies.  Is that just bullshit or is there really a coherent plot?  Every time i have watched it i just think most of the movie is a fucked up masturbating fantasy.  Is there more to it?

Newtron

The truth is...... that David Lynch is not that great.

coffeebeetle

more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

TheVoiceOfNick

Mulholland Dr is not life-affirming to me, but rather career-afirming... seeing that movie makes me want to make movies.

bonanzataz

i agree with nick. mullholland drive is the one that sucked me in, but after watching his other movies, i realize it isn't his strongest. i wish that the show had been picked up, because as it stands, when i watch mul dr i want more. my favorite has (obviously) become wild at heart. it's one of those movies that after only 3 or 4 viewings i can already quote the whole movie. it's really a precursor to quentin's early movies about fucked up couples - natural born killers and true romance. blue velvet is also awesome. and i know i'm not a "true" lynch fan because i haven't seen eraserhead, but i own it and plan to watch it soon.

EDIT: this is the fiftieth time i've done this. i've seen eraserhead a million times, it's elephant man that i've never gotten around to watching. jeeeezass.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls