Lights Out

Started by diggler, February 23, 2011, 10:08:34 AM

diggler

anybody else catch this show on FX? it's actually quite good. Holt McCallany has been "that guy" in movies for a long time but Lights Leary is an amazingly realized character. For a show about boxing it's actually very subtle and patient. Plus, there are Wire alum everywhere. Clark Johnson directed the premiere, Pablo Schreiber (Nick Sobotka) plays Lights gambling addicted brother and manager, and Reg E. Cathey does a suitably slimy Don King character. i've been noticing that Reg E. Cathey plays a campaign manager and a sleazy boxing promoter exactly the same way.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Stefen

I've been hearing great things. With Friday Night Lights ending and Jersey Shore soon to wrap up I need a show to follow until Breaking Bad premieres in a few months.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sleepless

I've been wanting to watch this since I saw the previews but have recently moved and trying to save money by ditching cable. Downloading the first 2 eps from iTunes right now, ep 3 is still on Hulu until Sunday.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

pete

I went to school with a friend who markets for the show's studio, and she's so bummed that it has the worst rating in FX history.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

diggler

it really is a shame that no one is watching it, although i couldn't picture the show doing much more than one or two seasons anyway.

Sleepless

So far I've seen the first 3 eps, and was actually planning on a mini-marathon tonight. I'm really enjoying it, sucks that the ratings are poor but what do people know? Would be nice if it could hold in there for a couple of seasons at least.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

pete

yeah she kept on insisting that she tried - she gave away the first three episodes for free.
the experts are saying that it came out too soon after The Fighter, so everyone's tired of boxing.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Are they going to have a finale or is it just over?

It was a pretty cool show.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

It'll air the final 2 eps but just no season 2.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Well, that's something. At least it will have the big rematch.  :bravo: I'm sure they saw this coming so they should have the storyline plotted out.

Sleepless

Quote from: modage on March 24, 2011, 03:59:05 PM
Cancelled.

Fucknuts. Man, if the distribution for TV shows was internet-based there'd be a lot more quality shows enjoying some longevity. I don't watch a load of TV but when there's something I like I make a point of keeping up with it - usually online. Before this, I really enjoyed that cop show Life with Damian Lewis. Successful TV is just all reality and CSI spin-off and all the other stuff gets choked out. I'm ready for the internet-based TV revolution. Fuck Showtime and HBO as well. Just release TV straight to the web and let people pay for the specific shows they want to watch godamnit.

Stefen

Or just release everything for free online and support it with advertising. I would gladly stream something on a website and sit through commercials every 15-30 minutes if it meant it was free and readily available.

It's only a matter of time...

diggler

Damn that's a shame. It was a really good show that yielded a lot of great performances. David Morse as The Rainmaker was especially great and that last scene was one of my favorites of the whole season.  It'll be a great one and done. I could see this premise getting tired after a few seasons so I'm satisfied to treat it like a long miniseries. It'll get it's due someday.

Sleepless

Quote from: Stefen on March 24, 2011, 05:28:38 PM
Or just release everything for free online and support it with advertising. I would gladly stream something on a website and sit through commercials every 15-30 minutes if it meant it was free and readily available.

It's only a matter of time...

Sure, I'd go for that as well. The point I was trying to make was that I'd gladly even pay money to watch a show on line. On second thoughts, I'd rather pay than put up with ads.

You're right though, it is a matter of time. Traditional TV is so far down the pan it's wedged itself in the u-bend. With TIVO and all the rest of it, traditional TV commercials are becoming less viable as well. Plus the gap between real storytelling "art" and mass entertainment "trash" is getting further and further apart, mainly because one side of the scales has become incredibly lopsided. There's money to be made by giving people the shows they want to see - someone's just got to figure out the right business plan and light a friggin fire under their ass to make it happen.