Music in PTA movies

Started by BonBon85, February 02, 2003, 02:28:01 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: freakerdude
Quote from: Duck SauceClementine Loop
Can somebody please tell me where in the movie this is b/c it's not listed on the soundtrack @ imdb.

In "Hard Eight" it's right at the beginning over the credits.
In "Boogie Nights" it plays over the "On The Prowl" scene.
In "Magnolia" it plays during the prologue when Sydney Barringer is loading the shotgun for his parents.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Find Your Magali

Other movie scenes that would be greatly improved if they were retrofitted with "Clementine's Loop":

1. Gary Cooper waiting out the final minutes for the train in "High Noon"

2. The nervous soldiers making small talk while awaiting the German tanks in "Saving Private Ryan" (this would replace the godawful, movie-derailing stories that Matt Damon and Edward Burns tell while they're waiting)

3. Charlton Heston riding up the beach at the end of "Planet of the Apes"

4. Sulley thinking he's watching Boo go through the trash compactor in "Monsters Inc."

5. The final Death Star trench run in "Star Wars"

coffeebeetle

Quote5. The final Death Star trench run in "Star Wars"

ohhhh, that's good.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Find Your Magali

Quote from: coffeebeetle
Quote5. The final Death Star trench run in "Star Wars"

ohhhh, that's good.

Of course, a flying tractor-trailer would have to zip past the screen, and that might take you out of the moment.  :P

coffeebeetle

"Tango Yellow Five, we have an 18-wheeler at 10 high..."

"Break hard right! On my mark.....NOW!"
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

freakerdude

Quote from: freakerdudeOK PTA freaks, my guess is that he selects his own music instead of someone else doing the soundtrack score for him? I saw no credits for Boogie Nights on imdb except for the music made for the movie by Michael Penn.

Is anyone going to answer this for me please?
MC Pee Pants

coffeebeetle

I'm pretty sure (with Boogie Nights at least) that someone helped him with the soundtrack selecting tracks and whatnot)...I don't have my disc with me right now, but I'll get back to you on that one.

freakerdude

I have the 2 disc DVD and the credits do not list a specific person for the music score or arrangement. The first music credit is for Michael Penn, who also wrote and performed original music on it. So my guess is he was responsible for the arrangement. He is also listed on the back cover for the general listing of "Music by".

The reason I ask is b/c several of the scenes were written especially for the song like Boogie Shoes....he goes in and buys these Italian leather high heels. Spill The Wine starts the pool party scene off, I believe. It just seems to me that PTA selected the music and there is no definitive person on the credits that I can find except Exec. Music Producer, Music Execs, Soundtrack Mixer, etc....
MC Pee Pants

Pubrick

yeah PTA does have music in his movies.
under the paving stones.

freakerdude

I can't get any justice...........or info,  :?
MC Pee Pants

whisperer

not only I think he selects music, but I've also read in an interview that, when he was stuck in the writing of magnolia script, he found inspiration in aimee mann's songs.
by the way, the songs I prefer are wise up in magnolia and the touch in boogie nights, also because they tall a lot about one of the interpretations that can be given to the movies. the whole sequence with sister christian and jesse's girl is also great!

aclockworkjj

Quote from: whisperernot only I think he selects music, but I've also read in an interview that, when he was stuck in the writing of magnolia script, he found inspiration in aimee mann's songs.
by the way, the songs I prefer are wise up in magnolia and the touch in boogie nights, also because they tall a lot about one of the interpretations that can be given to the movies. the whole sequence with sister christian and jesse's girl is also great!
welcome.

Alethia

i love the transition to the new years eve party from the final adult film awards......the music and whatnot

MacGuffin

For the Record: Boogie Nights

Allie was live from Rockwell Table & Stage in Los Feliz previewing their latest dinner and show called "For The Record: "Boogie Nights".

Stimulate your sensations this summer as everything is growing over at Rockwell with For The Record: Boogie Nights. Beginning on June 7, the space at 1714 N Vermont Ave will no longer operate under three distinct names but instead the entire venue will be referred to as Rockwell and include a bi-level outdoor dining space as well as a newly remodeled live music performance space. While renovations will continue throughout the summer, "For The Record" co-creators Shane Scheel and Christopher Lloyd Bratten choose to present a show adapted from the works of Los Angeles director Paul Thomas Anderson for a summer experience that Angelenos will not easily forget.

For patrons coming to see For The Record: Boogie Nights the evening will seem very familiar as many of the films Paul Thomas Anderson has created and directed tell stories about California and Californians. Angelenos will be mesmerized as they watch music performances by some of LA's most skilled actors, enjoy a full food and drink menu and relish the ample space now provided. For The Record: Boogie Nights begins Thursday, June 7 and runs until Saturday, August 4. Weekly performances are Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 9PM. Tickets range from $30 - $35, for ticket information please call (323) 661-6163 (ext 20) or visit http://www.fortherecordlive.com/

For The Record: Boogie Nights will include a selection of songs and scenes from Boogie Nights, Magnolia, There Will Be Blood and Punch-Drunk Love.  The evening will include an array of music styles from 70s-80s Disco to the Grammy and Academy Award-nominated Aimme Mann with specifics songs including "Sister Christian," "Brand New Key," "Jesse's Girl," "Wise Up," "One," "Boogie Shoes," "God Only Knows," "Aint No Stoppin' Us Now."

http://www.ktla.com/news/local/alliemackay/ktla-for-the-record-boogie-nights-20120620,0,3706759.story
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Aimee Mann was on the latest Sound Opinions, and it's quite good.

They bring up PTA a couple times, and she talks about him briefly. This is the relevant part. It's at 8:20 in case anyone's wondering.

Tom Sharpling, Paul Thomas Anderson, Joel and Ethan Coen: who was the more talented director/auteur that you've worked with?

[laughs] That's a funny question... Paul Thomas Anderson is... I spent way way more time with Paul on set, so I... the Coen brothers thing was literally like 5 minutes and then you know, like, they seemed very nice, they seemed very quiet, and then I was out, you know... Paul Thomas Anderson is an incredible director, and watching him work with actors, I think he kind of gets the best performances out of actors. He's really amazing.