Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements

Started by wilder, November 01, 2011, 01:54:56 AM

wilder

July 8, 2014

Woody Allen's Radio Days (1987) from Twilight Time (Limited to 3,000 copies)

Pre-order will be up on Screen Archives starting June 18

Woody Allen's remaining MGM titles are also coming to blu-ray from Twilight Time eventually. Broadway Danny Rose (1984) and Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) have already been released. So good/bad news - their transfers are usually solid but their prices (and limited availability) are fucked.

P.S. they never have sales (unless you want to buy 5 for the price of 4 or whatever insane offer they sometimes have where you have to spend over $100 to get a discount)

The rest on the way:

-Alice
-Another Woman
-Bananas
-Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Too Afraid To Ask
-Interiors
-Love and Death
-A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy
-The Purple Rose of Cairo
-September
-Shadows and Fog
-Stardust Memories
-Zelig

samsong

why is this happening... i can't imagine the transfers being better than when mgm puts them on blu-ray for 9.99 and unlimited.

wilder

Studios license the titles they don't care about putting out on blu-ray themselves to Twilight Time on the condition that they limit their runs to 3,000 copies. I don't really get it either. I don't know how long TT carries the rights for, or if they'll ever come about in cheaper editions released by MGM. Even if that comes to pass, given that Twilight Time only releases a few titles each month and the three announced Woody Allen titles have been spread apart by at least two months each (Crimes - Feb '14, Broadway April '14, Radio July '14), and there are 12 left to go...if that's ever the case it will be many years away.

Edit - I might be wrong about the studios being the ones mandating the limited runs. I thought that was the whole thing, though.

From wikipedia:

Release details

Due to the declining home video market for older and little-known films, most major film studios have opted to stop releasing those titles via conventional retail methods. Instead, studios like Warner Bros., Universal Studios, Sony Pictures, and MGM have gone the manufacture-on-demand (MOD) route, releasing these titles on DVD-R, often without any kind of restoration or remastering, or any kind of extras.

Unlike MOD, all Twilight Time titles are fully pressed DVDs and/or Blu-rays from a restored transfer.[7] All titles are limited editions with only 3000 units of each format created, and will not be repressed once they are sold out. As these releases are geared toward the music aficionado, all releases will feature an isolated music score. As well, all releases will include an 8-page booklet on the movie featuring original essays, movie stills, and poster art.[1] Other extras will be made available whenever possible.

Product pricing

Due to the self imposed limited edition status of all their releases, all Twilight Time titles see a normal-than-higher price range for their products. All DVDs are priced at $19.95, while all Blu-rays are priced between 10 and 20 dollars more than their DVD counterpart.

jenkins

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/310943-interview-with-twilight-time-nick-redman-on-who-they-are-their-business-model-and-more/

summary: it's a hybrid of intentional and contractual decisions

the guess to make based on the biz routine is they bought a set of woody allen titles in order to release them all

wilder

July 14, 2014

When Twilight Time's limited edition release of Walter Hill's The Driver (1978) sells out, Studiocanal UK's upcoming release will be available as an alternative

The Driver (1978) - Amazon UK

wilder

August 12, 2014

Maurice Pialat's We Won't Grow Old Together (1972) on blu-ray from Kino (also DVD)

We Won't Grow Old Together (1972) - Amazon

jenkins

^that's really exciting to me. have this suspicion that i'll like every maurice pialat movie i ever see

today is the last day for b&n's 40% off bluray sale. i'm getting the spike lee joint collection 1. yeah i decided that's definitely the one for me. and while doing my little internet investigation into whether that was indeed the one for me, while doing that i learned what else the book author/screenwriter david benioff is also known for. people who'd care must already know. seems like he's a big part of that. i'm talking about game of thrones. if you were wondering, yes, there are new commentary tracks from spike lee for both 25h hour and he got game. oh i'm pumped

wilder

September 16, 2014

Tobe Hooper's The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) on blu-ray from MPI Media Group, from a 4K restoration

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - Amazon

wilder

Yeah it's my favorite Pialat, and one of my very favorite movies.

Rare is the film in movie-history that can announce the entire movement of its 'plot' with its title alone. But Pialat's second feature, Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble [We Won't Grow Old Together] does exactly that, encapsulating all the turmoil, and the final end-point, of a couple who among themselves once made a commitment -- and in living together will come to make another one yet.

Jean (Jean Yanne, of Godard's Weekend) and Catherine (Marlène Jobert, of Godard's Masculin Féminin) are the couple whose every move charts an advancement deeper into an emotional warzone. Theirs is the classic and the tragic case of an emotional abuse centred around a perplexing, but powerful, interdependency. At last the point arrives that determines the relationship, with all its weekend holidays, its apologies and submissions, can go no further -- and, in a final shot of genius, Pialat discloses all the ways in which the future might be at once liberated, and enslaved, by the past. Based on a novel by Pialat himself, and on the trauma of his own personal life in the years leading up to the film, Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble was a smash-hit at the time of its release -- and yet is arguably one of the most upsetting films ever made.

samsong

Quote from: Larry Doc Sportello on June 17, 2014, 10:02:17 PM
Quote from: wilder on June 11, 2014, 04:19:07 AM
August 25, 2014

Fritz Lang's Woman in the Moon (1929) on blu-ray from Masters of Cinema

Have been meaning to watch this one for months now. Definitely making a trip to the campus to watch this ASAP. too bad they only have it on DVD from Kino :(

it's streaming on netflix.

wilder

Quote from: Larry Doc Sportello on June 17, 2014, 10:22:15 PM
Quote from: wilder on June 17, 2014, 10:13:04 PM
Yeah it's my favorite Pialat, and one of my very favorite movies.

Rare is the film in movie-history that can announce the entire movement of its 'plot' with its title alone. But Pialat's second feature, Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble [We Won't Grow Old Together] does exactly that, encapsulating all the turmoil, and the final end-point, of a couple who among themselves once made a commitment -- and in living together will come to make another one yet.

Jean (Jean Yanne, of Godard's Weekend) and Catherine (Marlène Jobert, of Godard's Masculin Féminin) are the couple whose every move charts an advancement deeper into an emotional warzone. Theirs is the classic and the tragic case of an emotional abuse centred around a perplexing, but powerful, interdependency. At last the point arrives that determines the relationship, with all its weekend holidays, its apologies and submissions, can go no further -- and, in a final shot of genius, Pialat discloses all the ways in which the future might be at once liberated, and enslaved, by the past. Based on a novel by Pialat himself, and on the trauma of his own personal life in the years leading up to the film, Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble was a smash-hit at the time of its release -- and yet is arguably one of the most upsetting films ever made.

Sounds good. Will definitely check it out. Have been meaning to watch L'enfance Nue for months now.

edit: Where can I find this???

There's the Masters of Cinema DVD in the UK, the French blu-ray from Gaumont, which has English subtitles, and the forthcoming Kino release in the US. And I'll be damned, it's also available to rent in SD on Amazon Instant for $2.99. If none of these are what you meant, well, it's "there". Keep looking.

wilder

September 2014 TBD

Richard Brooks' Elmer Gantry (1960) from Kino

Elmer Gantry (1960) - Amazon

wilder

October 7, 2014

Ulu Grosbard's True Confessions (1981) on blu-ray from Kino

True Confessions (1981) - Amazon

Detective Tom Spellacy (Duvall) and Catholic Monsignor Desmond Spellacy (De Niro) find their worlds colliding amidst a flurry of political finger-pointing and public outcries over a scandalous, headline-making murder. As Tom hunts down the elusive killer, his investigation threatens to expose secrets that could ruin his brother... and rock the foundation of his beloved church. Based on the true and still-unsolved "Black Dahlia" murder case.   

wilder

September 15, 2014

Busby Berkeley's The Gang's All Here (1943) from Masters of Cinema

The Gang's All Here (1943) - Amazon UK

jenkins

Quote from: wilder on January 16, 2013, 05:59:26 PM
Edward G. Ulmer's Ruthless (1948) from Olive Films

Director Edward G. Ulmer's complex psycho-melodrama Ruthless (1948) is undoubtedly worthy of rediscovery. A flashback-structured tale of a sociopath's remorseless drive for station and wealth, Ruthless (often referred to as Ulmer's Citizen Kane) employs a relentless undercurrent of emotional violence. As relayed in an interview with Peter Bogdanovich, Ulmer envisioned his feature as "a Jesuitic morality play... a very bad indictment against 100 percent Americanism—as Upton Sinclair saw it." The film's chilling, malevolent tone is personified in a starkly muted performance by lead—and frequent screen cad—Zachary Scott.

wilder,
did you end up watching this? we chatted about it the day you made ^this post, because it was also on netflix at the time, but anyway i watched it today and it's a tasty blend of noir-biz emotions. and people zing the fuck out of each other. desperate, dark, dramatic zings, and life is portrayed in a high-pitch of human imperfections and aspirations

it's definitely b-grade but like B+++. you'll see or have seen what i mean