Suicide Squad

Started by MacGuffin, November 07, 2014, 08:29:04 PM

MacGuffin

Jared Leto Circling Joker Role in Warner Bros.' 'Suicide Squad'
David Ayer is directing the Warner Bros. movie
Source: THR

Jared Leto, who won an Oscar and a Golden Globe for his performance in Dallas Buyers Club, has not officially signed on to his next project, but there's a chance it could be a big superhero film.

The actor may be under consideration for the role of the Joker in the Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment project Suicide Squad, sources confirm to THR.

Warner Bros. and Leto's reps did not return THR's requests for comment, and this deal could be in the very early stages.

David Ayer is attached to direct the project. [2]The Suicide Squad team, also known as Task Force X, was created by Robert Kanigher and Ross Andru and first appeared in Brave and the Bold No. 25. Its most recent iteration includes characters Deadshot, King Shark, Captain Boomerang and Harley Quinn.

The DC property about convicted supervillains who are given a chance to redeem themselves through dangerous missions has been in the works for some time at Warner Bros., but it has really picked up steam in the past few months. The film is slated for release on Aug. 5, 2016.

After the Oscars, Leto spent time focusing on his music as the lead singer of Thirty Seconds to Mars while he looked for his next project. His name has come up in connection with Marvel's Doctor Strange, but, as with many of these high-profile superhero projects, many names circulate before the role is cast.

Leto spoke with THR on Nov. 6 and implied that he was finally zeroing on his next role.

"I do [have my eye on one project]. I am excited about what's happening," he told THR. "There are incredible opportunities and I'm very grateful for them. I'm looking forward to making films again now that the tour is wrapping up. It's going to be an exciting 2015."

However, he wouldn't reveal the project, saying he was "under lock and key."

"I've sworn to keep my mouth shut but I think that very shortly there will be something to talk about, that's for sure," he said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Suicide Squad' Cast Revealed: Jared Leto to Play the Joker, Will Smith is Deadshot
Source: Variety

Jared Leto, Will Smith, Tom Hardy, Margot Robbie, Jai Courtney and Cara Delevingne will make up the all-star cast of Warner Bros.' supervillain tentpole "Suicide Squad," it was announced on Tuesday.

Based on the DC comicbook, the story centers on the team of supervillains who are given a chance at redemption by the government. The catch: Their mission will probably kill them all.

The actors' names had long been rumored for the high-profile movie, which opens Aug. 5, 2016, but their deals and characters hadn't been finalized.

Here's the official cast/character list:

Jared Leto – The Joker

Will Smith – Deadshot

Tom Hardy – Rick Flag

Margot Robbie – Harley Quinn

Jai Courtney – Boomerang

Cara Delevingne – Enchantress

"Suicide Squad," directed by David Ayer and produced by Charles Roven and Richard Suckle, will begin shooting next April in Toronto.

According to insiders, Jesse Eisenberg is also in talks to play Lex Luthor in the film, a role he will first play in "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice," though the status of his deal is unknown.

"The Warner Bros. roots are deep on this one," Warner Bros. president Greg Silverman said in a statement. "We look forward to seeing this terrific ensemble, under David Ayer's amazing guidance, give new meaning to what it means to be a villain and what it means to be a hero."

Warners has long viewed this project as the "Ocean's Eleven" of comicbook movies and has been looking to load up the roster with top tier talent.

Warners still has the role of Amanda Waller, the character who oversees the team (similar to Nick Fury in the Marvel universe), to cast before the film goes into production. The studio's shortlist of actresses being eyed for the role includes Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer and Oprah Winfrey, whom sources say would be WB's first choice for the part.

Leto, who is making his first pic since winning the Oscar for "Dallas Buyers Club," is repped by CAA and Untitled.

Smith can be seen next in Warner Bros.' "Focus" which also stars Robbie. Both are reppped by CAA, with Robbie also repped by Management 360 and Aran Michael Management, and Smith repped by Overbrook Entertainment.

Hardy is currently filming "The Revenant" opposite Leonardo DiCaprio which bows next Christmas. He is repped by CAA.

The WME-repped Delevingne, an English model-turned-actress, can next be seen in Warner Bros.' "Pan."

Courtney appears in the upcoming "Terminator" reboot as well as Universal's "Unbroken" and Lionsgate's "Insurgent," and is repped by UTA and Silver Lining Entertainment.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

polkablues

I'll only buy a ticket if I'm assured there will be a scene of the Joker sitting in the back room at a mall jewelers' shop for half an hour getting his grills fitted.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

Suicide Squad will be an important document on the human condition and it should premiere in the Smithsonian Castle. A statue should be built in reverence to this movie, and it's going to make Guardians of the Galaxy look like Troma. Is that true? That's a scandalous accusation and I can't wait for the show down. Except I'm not sure I'll be able to say for sure who won, since I might not rewatch these movies, or think about them much. I'd call them each general cultural mayhem and fun enough to me.

Drenk

But fun isn't even fun anymore. We're doomed.
Ascension.

jenkins

I think the not fun here is using excessive force, and everyone making this movie is excited about making this movie, I can tell, their excitement is excessive, this is comic books, which as non-existent fantasy will always be and can only be as important as living people are willing to imagine, mythology creation is occurring, and they're pushing hard, I think it's ridiculous, I think it's outrageous, and I can't wait for this one.

Jeremy Blackman

You know this is kind of appealing to me too for some strange reason, as a complete non-fan of comic book movies. It looks fun and dark, which seems like a rare combination (and which Fury Road did so well).

Gold Trumpet

Yea, but comic book's idea of irreverent or edgy is still a general bore. The Deadpool trailer was too annoying and stupid to even finish and while this one looks like it wants to tone a little darker and weirder, the comic book movies are generally doomed because they have to keep some basic commitment to their comic origins. That's bad because the inherent drama within film can never encompass comic books story wise. Mad Max: Fury Road is fascinating because it had so much potential for elaborated backstory but ignored it completely and ignored any idea of being like the original Mad Max films. I credit George Miller's evolution and ingenious filmmaking. The comics book films should dare to be different, a lot more different, than their origins, but good word with these films partly start with the comic fan base approving what they do.

Drenk

The trailer of Batman V Superman looks like Frank Miller in an Happy Meal. And Marvel is trying to adapt big storylines of the comics, but they fail to fond the right scale. Marvel is HUGE! But the storyline is an easter egg.

My dream would be a disconnected Comic universe with new stories for the superheroes. X movie shouldn't prepare us for Y which is a preparation for Z: it's just insane. Ultimately, movies aren't episodes from a TV show. A season shouldn't last ten years.

Ascension.

Alexandro

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on July 13, 2015, 09:54:10 PM
Yea, but comic book's idea of irreverent or edgy is still a general bore. The Deadpool trailer was too annoying and stupid to even finish and while this one looks like it wants to tone a little darker and weirder, the comic book movies are generally doomed because they have to keep some basic commitment to their comic origins. That's bad because the inherent drama within film can never encompass comic books story wise. Mad Max: Fury Road is fascinating because it had so much potential for elaborated backstory but ignored it completely and ignored any idea of being like the original Mad Max films. I credit George Miller's evolution and ingenious filmmaking. The comics book films should dare to be different, a lot more different, than their origins, but good word with these films partly start with the comic fan base approving what they do.

this.
fuck comic book movies. fuck "edgy" comic book movies. yeah, the bad guy is complex, I'm sure. the hero is complex. everybody is complex. now buy some popcorn.

Kal

I think that trailer (especially with that music) is dog shit.

Jeremy Blackman

The trailer is horribly edited, but still managed to intrigue me, so that says something.

I actually kinda love that cover song though.

Sleepless

First impressions: Not great, but a million miles more optimistic about this than Bats v Supes. Will Smith is in a different movie.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Quote from: jenkins<3 on July 13, 2015, 11:29:12 PMJared Leto and Will Smith are both musicians... I mean if they both made a song the soundtrack would already be becoming a compliation... I really hope Willow Smith is on the soundtrack. Do you think Jared and Will can sing together and kinda Go Ninja, Go Ninja this movie? Nah that's too silly. Or is it silly enough???